1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019 Draft/1-23] Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 25, 2019.

?

Do you like the selection of Tytus Howard?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2019.
  1. YES

54.6%
  2. NO

45.4%
  1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I’m glad we dodged that one

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't mind the pick. If you're gonna reach it's fine to reach on someone with star ceiling. It would've been nicer if they had traded down a bit, maybe to the 30s, and get another pick out of it, but that kind of trying to get value is something that would be too much to ask of the Texans front office.

vinsensual, Shark44 and Gray_Jay like this.
  3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I dunno about bust, but your other two points are true. Especially with only a two year window before they have to pay Watson, and Watson was a human pinata last year.

Insane to draft Howard there. Like he wouldn't have been available in the middle of the second.

Hustle Town likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

HMMM.....I think all those players the Texans' were jumped for, turned out to be bust or injured players.

5. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Are you a fan of Suafilo,Fiedorowitz,Nix ?

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Not even but we have a franchise qb. Jimmy G never impressed me. Overhyped in my opinion.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Brian Gaine on Tytus Howard's backstory: "If anything that's going to be a strength of his. … He'll understand what a quarterback has to deal with, what a tight end has to deal with. That's a very unique skillset."

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) April 26, 2019

Brian Gaine said rookie tackle Tytus Howard plays with nastiness. 'He's going to be a good addition to the offensive line room. It's a great story. Quarterback to tight end to offensive line. It's a great story about development. He'll have a full understanding."

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 26, 2019

#Texans GM Brian Gaine on OT Tytus Howard (@levelstothis_2): "We felt like he passed each test in terms of the process of scouting with flying colors." pic.twitter.com/fuJDPtbvqM

— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) April 26, 2019

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Well that's promising... Smh

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't know anything about the guy and don't watch much college football these days outside of UH games. I can honestly say even what I did watch a lot of college games I have never seen an Alabama St. game in my life.

I hope he is good because this is the type of pick that gets people fired if they didn't hit on this one.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Well that's good. Glad you won't be converting him back to QB or TE.
    Martinas Rankin - was that before or after you realized he was a G, not an OT

Very versatile Brian. We like our all our guys to be versatile Brian. Rather have our guys be average/below average at all 5 OL positions than good/great at one position.

#92 J.R., Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't know anything about him, but at first glance appears to be one of those "Texan's picks," projected low rounder taken high. Only in Houston.

14. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I think we just gotta accept the fact we have Morey and Luhnow. Not all GMs can be aces

red5rocket and BigShasta like this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at. With Philly trading up for Dillard, it was ok to look to deal back a few picks and at least pick up the 4th we don't have and still grab Howard. Howard has some real talent, but appears to need development--like Davenport needed, but didn't really get.

Looks like Gaine may be betting that Kalil/Dav hold down LT and Henderson manages RT this year. That would give Howard a full year to develop and get adjusted to the NFL. He can play both sides, so he could serve in a swing role.

Gaine was good last year, but this pick seems like a reach/gamble. Let's hope he's becomes the LT we need in the future.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Gaine panicked.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Depending on the day of the week and whether we won or lost the night before, Morey's an idiot to fans, too. lol.

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

19. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The most impressive thing I saw from Alabama State OT Tytus Howard was how he put Auburn’s pass rushers in the deep freeze in game one of the season.

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) April 26, 2019

One Path to the Draft, @BuckyBrooks had Darnell Savage as a guy sneaking into the 1st and I had Tytus Howard. This isn’t totally shocking at all.

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) April 26, 2019

TheFreak and No Worries like this.