1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Harden take a mid-range jumper if left open or dared to?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cheke64, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Should Harden take a mid-range shot if dared to or left open?

1. Yes

137 vote(s)
    93.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[/QUOTE]

Nothing about that replay makes me think Rubio couldn’t have easily bothered that shot had he stopped and popped from the foul line.

If you think there were a couple times a game that he had the space, fine. Not arguing that.

I am very much pushing back against this idea that a wide open foul line pull up was there whenever he wanted.

YOLO likes this.
  2. BreakYoSelfFool

What is Gobert doing while he is shooting this "open" midrange shot?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty clear what I'm looking for. for someone to clearly show evidence that this fake midrange game was open all game and was the better choice throughout the course of a game over a floater, lob, or open 3. so yeah don't reply if you're unable to do so.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sitting under the rim stopping him from getting there.

Lol geez man it literally took me 20 seconds to find a clear example of a situation where the midrange was open. On that play I pointed out yes the correct play was a pass to an open 3, but there were plenty of other plays like that where Harden took a tough floater instead of just pulling up. I don't have the time to look through game tape but I distinctly recall several instances. Just like I immediately recalled one specific shot from way back in 2013 lol.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

that shows to you that a midrange pull up jumper was the more efficient shot when EG whose been hot, swished a 3 on a collapsing defense. wow.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

This was a silly defense. Jazz could only try it because they have gobert. Harden would roast Draymond one on one over and over.

As for the warriors, i think we finally see the Rockets top them. And I think it will be in 6 games like it should’ve been last year.

7. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

That’s like asking if he should take a free throw because it’s wide open with no defense.

You take what they give you but you also keep your style of play. So he should but still try to get his regular shots.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I fail to understand how adding a new wrinkle into his repertoire is a bad thing. He had at least a handful of open looks from mid range last night after going past the perimeter defender and before gobert stepped up. While Paul isn’t guarded the same he seems to have no problem utilizing the mid range game to score and score efficiently. I mean what’s the difference between a floater and a j if it’s coming from about the same area?

He makes just a handful of those and all of a sudden that form of defense gets compromised. Sometimes taking what the defense gives you is a good thing.

9. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Surprised he didn't try to bait them into more fouls having them run into him from behind, CP is a master at it.

harold bingo, apollo33 and tmoney1101 like this.
  10. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

The wide open mid-range will not happen if teams guard Harden the way Jazz were. He still needs to stop, set his feet and then pick the correct mid-range shot.

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

If a defender is behind Harden and he drives with the defender in pursuit, then he should stop and pop. The defender will run into his back and foul him.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

The Jazz lost due to their offense. The Jazz's defense got better the longer the series went on as they tweaked and completely bought into their strategy. It was pretty apparent the Jazz's defense worked but their offense simply failed.

13. dmoneybangbang

To the OP, sometimes sure. I believe Morey is one of the best GMs in the NBA and I believe in the Popp/Belichick way of making your opponents play with their other hand.

Hitting a floater over Gobert is tough. Why Harden didn't take the occasional midrange to at least make Gobert question whether he needs to stand pat or take one step forward seemed prudent.

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Cp3 should teach him that thing where he pins the guy behind him and slowly dribbles towards the front of the rim. Maybe that will buy him time to wait for the defense to break / set for a shot or floater

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden does this all the time.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

What happened in 2017 is that the Spurs focused heavily on Harden and nobody else stepped up.

Who was the 2nd best player on that team?

Who else was a consistent playmaker?

It's not always about Harden even Jordan could not win until h
    That is not a shot you should want him to take with any regularity.T

And people are forgetting he started hitting his floater in the 2nd half.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If you read my posts closely, I pointed out that that video was not an example of a shot I want him to take regularly, just proof that Harden can in fact get his shot off with someone right behind him.

However, when driving to the rim, very infrequently was the defender that close behind him, which would have meant a cleaner look. He shot a very poor percentage on his floaters this last series, and his refusal to take advantage of the open spots the Jazz were giving him resulted in a poor shooting percentage.

18. AB423

AB423 Member

He should do a step back mid range floater

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Na. This is where harden takes up another level and implements his step toward shot.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Fortunately, it's been working.

biff17 likes this.