1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bullpen bound, but he has a chance to be a good one.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. Screaming Fist

Ivey is having quite a season so far, outside of getting tossed that one game. Good chance of hitting top 100 lists I would think if he keeps it up.

texans1095 likes this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

Sleeper prospect

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

IF Osvaldo Duarte was 4-4 with a HR and 2 SB tonight. He appears to be breaking out, as he’s on pace for a 30/30 season while striking out <15% of the time as a 23 year old in his 1st taste of AA. Long touted as a speedster who can play 7 positions, the strikeouts have been his only real wart. If he is able to keep that rate <20% over a full season while also showing plus power...look out.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Any of you true prospect guys have any thoughts on Jamie Richie? I for one as ready for Stassi to move on, he had the hot start with the bat last year and that's about it. Although I've never heard any of the pitchers complain vocally about it, they sure do seem to have to shake him off a lot more than any other catchers we've had too. Even Miley who works as fast as anyone had to step off a few times last night, particularly in the 1st inning. Looks like Ritchie has always hit and been a good on base guy, but know nothing about the glove or any of that

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pitchers complained about Stassi last year. Stassi is good at presenting the ball, but he's losing the contact battle and losing the winning over the pitcher battle. Not a catcher prospect expert, but I think Astros try to add a catcher via trade.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have seen varying reports on Ritchie’s defense, from “he is not a catcher” to “he’s a good framer and decent overall defender”. So who knows. On the one hand, I doubt they’d be giving him time at catcher in AAA if they didn’t think he could play there in the majors. On the other, he is the backup in AAA, which doesn’t bode well for him as a long term big leaguer.

His offensive profile is very interesting. He’s always had monster walk rates and on base percentages. He has never hit for much power. I have likened his offense to Nolan Fontana.

The main thing with him from my perspective is that he has not consistently caught a lot of games in the upper levels, so before he can project as a major league backstop, I’d like to see him get 400 PA as a AAA catcher.

As for Stassi, he has shown potential with the bat and the metrics like his defense. I suspect that between Hinch and Luhnow they wouldn’t have much patience with a guy they didn’t think was a good catcher. There are plenty of Fedorowicz types out there they can add if they think Stassi wasn’t gonna cut it and they didn’t like any of their minor league options.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that was his projection going into last season. IIRC Fontana never hit much n AAA. I expected that Richie to suffer a similar fate, if he ever got to AAA, but ... Richie has hit well in AAA so far.

To be truthful, I never expected Richie to make it to AAA. I thought AA would be his ceiling.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ronnie Dawson hit his 4th HR of the season in the 1st inning of tonight’s game. He’s still striking out far too much at this point to profile as an everyday major leaguer, but a guy who can play a decent CF, provide speed on the basepaths, and 20+ HR power still has a lot of value.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Just hit another one. 5 HR in 18 games for Dawson.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Game-ending triple play!

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ryan Hartman allowed two hits and struck out seven over five shutout innings for Round Rock.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How about .970?

15. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

;)

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kyle Tucker just hit a game-tying solo homer in the 9th, his 3rd of the season.

18. Buck Turgidson

Really heads-up play by Dawson.

Wonder when the last game-ending triple play happened in professional baseball?

Had an RBI 2B to RF earlier, iirc.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He also had his 3rd SB. As bad as he’s been, he’s still on pace for a 20/20 season. (Last season only 10 players in the majors had at least 20 HR and 20 SB).

#599 Snake Diggit, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  20. Screaming Fist

His swinging strike % is still crazy high (17%) compared to last season. On the other hand, Alvarez' SwStr% is down to 8%.