1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the warriors try to defend james the same way ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Apr 24, 2019.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

not allowing us to ISO bogut on him, just have him stay back in the paint no matter what. he is no gobert but is a big body that takes up a lot of space.

one guy that worries me is igoudala as he has suddenly found the fountain of youth late in the season. they have lots of guys to make james work and tire him out.

GotGame15 likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Probably not. Harden will have a field day against their interior if they play that way. Rudy Gobert is the reigning DOPY.

sammy, jboslett, CCity Zero and 12 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

not a chance. both of these teams know each other all too well. there's nothing gimmicky happening here

BaselineFade, CCity Zero and topfive like this.
  4. smp

smp Member

I don't think so. GS has nothing to change. They are the defending champs.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why would they revamp their defense when they can just play straight up

You know it took Utah 2 blow out games to figure this defense out, there's zero reason for the Warriors to take that risk

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the only reason it was effective at all for UTA is b/c harden was getting no calls when fouled on the floaters. he got a couple in the 4th Q of game 3 and one in the 2nd half tonite. if GS continues this crap he needs to stop inside the paint for the 10ft pullup J a couple times to confuse GS big men. that will open up a lot more possibilities, ie with the hesitation move being able to drive around their bigs for a layup

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Old man Bogut ain't Gobert.

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I noticed Voulgaris tweeted what I've been thinking this series. I think James just needs to practice shooting with someone behind him... once he gets used to it, I think it would be easy.

smp and Nimo like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Warriors don’t have anybody like Gobert.

They defend Harden well just doing what they normally do. They won’t make any big changes.

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The Jazz had the 2nd best D in the league and the best big man defender in the league plus Favors who is very good as well. I just hope Harden wakes up

YallMean likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

well the obvious difference is the warriors have much more firepower. they will not struggle to put points up like utah. even if they didnt defend us well they could win a game on offense alone. but the reason they might try it is, if they can get james to shoot as poorly as utah just did, we definitely have no chance. why give him a chance to get going playing straight up ?

13. Voltik

Voltik Member

They will try but it won’t be as effective with Dray, Bogut, or Looney at the middle. Bogut and Looney aren’t quick enough to guard the lob and floater. Dray has the best shot in defending with his quickness but if James plays it well...he should have either the floater or lob or open shooter.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

They might.... if this method holds James Harden down from step backs and frustrates him, they will do exactly that. They also have long tall athletic defenders in Durant and Igoudala to clog his passing lanes. Durant is no Gobert but he is more than capable of blocking shots or altering Harden's shot. They are the defending Champs 2 years in a row for a reason.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

You don't have to step back when you're already behind the 3-point line and there is no defender between you and the basket.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  16. Zergling

Zergling Member

It would probably be a bad idea because they don't have a human tree in the paint like Gobert. Those Harden floaters will be much easier to convert.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Who knows .

In both cases of the defense being successfully* deployed , a smaller quick guard was on harden .

Rubio is a stout defender despite Hardens good game 1 and 2 .

Bledsoe is also fantastic .

If the warriors try to emulate with curry it won't end well . And I bet James will take more stop and pop booty bump 2's . They can't risk getting KD or steph in foul trouble

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can't see donkey blocking the floater without some blatant kick to the groin to discourage James from doing it again

19. cebu

cebu Member

they can't do that, we have the same play style. this series was a good practice for us.

20. Handles

Handles Member

They have nobody like Gobert so my guess is no. The bucks though... if we get there of course.

smp and bballjunkie like this.