1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gobert and the 3 Second Rule

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Apr 24, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc what you posted about Gobert doesn't go along with the rule and actually created a false illusion of what's really happening in the games

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What specifically? And what's up with all the weird rhetoric like "false illusion of what's really happening"? That's a weird response.

The dude plants right under the basket without people around. 3 seconds is pretty quick. Count it. If your argument is just that "he doesn't stand under the basket without people around", I guess we'll just have to let it go and watch.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

you just proved what you just asked.

you think gobert is just sitting in the paint all alone. that's not what is happening. the jazz defensively have been playing the posted vids above all series long. theres nothing illlegal about those

i mean lets be real here. if gobert was just parked in there to the level you're trying to make people believe, surely some of the millions of followers that watch the game in detail would of noticed. Even the slightest of details is picked up in this day of social media. Surely a 7'9 wingspan center just standing in the paint guarding no one while just waiting for harden would of caught someone of significance's eye out there

#43 YOLO, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. smp

smp Member

One of the weaknesses of Capela is his shooting. When he clears the lane, the big that’s guarding him doesn’t follow. They just camp out in the paint and wait for Harden. GS did that to us in games 6 and 7 last year. Milwaukee did it to us this year and Utah is doing it now. They guard Harden on the 3 point line and give up 3s to our role players and wait for Harden to drive into the paint. They know he won’t stop and pop. It’s fine when our role players prove they can hit shots because it forces the defense to react. But when they go cold it gets ugly. Real ugly.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Would like to see a video clip of whatever is being discussed in this thread. I wasn't paying attention to this live.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TWO MEN CANNOT GUARD ONE MAN WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE BALL!!!
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!1

That has been illegal even before the Defensive 3 seconds

You cannot double a man who does not have the ball

and Grabbing Capela's hand to disrupt the gather is absolutely a foul!

Rocket River

luckyman76 likes this.
  7. napalm06

OK, so you don't think this has ever happened, at all, in the series. It's really easy to write that with a lot less words!

As soon as you typed "you think:...." You were wrong. I posted the rule and made the claim that it's happening but not being called. There's nothing extra to pontificate on or try to stretch into a big message board thing.

People are still acting like this is some rare, controversial rule. Very bizarre. It's not like the Rockets have never been called for this. Maybe it's just that people don't usually pay attention to it. Caught ball-watching with Kenneth Faried.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That **** ain’t happening tonight

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

to the extent that you are displaying it to be, I would say no. i never said its rare. it happens and ive seen it plenty. this is actually something you can see pretty clearly when it happens. the players even notice it if it is happening, especially harden and cp3 since defenses are planned towards them.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

anything for utah to get an advantage. and mitchell can absolutely do what he did. its up to harden and co to be able to see what defense teams are playing and they have to adjust. Defenses can be just as complex as offense. that's the beauty of the game and even more impressive for houston to be able to dissect all these kinds of looks teams throw at them. this was definitely not something many noticed

11. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Harden steal and three!:eek:

Harden 4 in a row!

12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Capela huge facial on Gobert! OMG!:eek:

13. napalm06

This game has been a lot better on the lane-camping, so I'll eat crow. And I'm OK with that.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wish I were close to the court, I would be COUNTING OUT LOUD EVERY TIME - something the Rox coaches should be doing.

DD

napalm06 likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He will keep one leg in there for like 5 seconds. It was frustrating the hell out of me early in the game.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if you thought that was bad, wait till Harden has to face Australian league DPoY Andrew "illegal screens" Bogut next round.

snowconeman22 and napalm06 like this.
  17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I dont remember seeing a single instance of a 3 second violation last night @YOLO.

Utah plays great defense, specifically Gobert. He was parked outside the paint when guarding Capela, not inside it, before stepping up in to the paint to rotate and guard the drive.

YOLO likes this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I saw it quite a few times. Maybe I don’t understand the rule well enough but what I would see is in transition Gobert or Favors just stand in the paint guarding no one for over three seconds while the ball was being brought up and the half court offense set up.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah they do a solid job of sticking to what plan is laid out for them, regardless if its a bit gimmicky. Hou just does a good job of adjusting and exploiting it for obvious reasons.

whether we like them or not, they are definitely in the top tier as far as defensive teams in the league.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

not what is happening at all but doesn't really matter. they're no longer a issue this year

BigMaloe likes this.