1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New York is Cursed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChievousFTFace, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Seriously. I left a comment card saying 'french friends do not belong at a Mexican restaurant'.

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Sick of you Gulf Coast Elites.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, this is great

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

GFTO then

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Sooo intimidating

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why? Sincerely curious how you value a city.

I've never been there or anywhere on the East Coast, unless you count Florida. I do prefer people from the deep south, specifically the Houston area, to people I meet from NYC and the East Coast. It's charm and sincerity vs no-nonsense get-out-of-my-way attitude. Not that the folks that I've met from NYC weren't good people, they were just a little too brash and crass for my tastes.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

As far as the “people” aspect. I get along with people anywhere I go. And have made friends no matter where I’ve lived.

I simply get tired of sitting in a car and sitting in traffic. I prefer to live somewhere with trains and or mass transit.

On the other end of the spectrum I like being somewhere away from cities. Mountains/woods/ocean/ even rainforest where not too many people are around. I don’t really like the suburban type of atmosphere with the cookie cutter houses in a neighborhood.

Some of my favorite places in Asia are Bangkok and Tokyo. And just the two countries in general. But in many ways they are very different. I respect both of their cultures though. I would have a hard time choosing where to live between those two countries if had to.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

There is a slight misconception on the 'friendliness' of New Yorkers. Most people I've met are as kind and sincere as people from Houston. The difference is, in Houston, people you don't know will say hi to you as you pass by on the street; in New York, it's custom to generally ignore strangers. I don't mind this, I'm not a big fan of cordial greetings to random people for the sake of it.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good points, @peleincubus and @Big MAK

Traffic sucks hard. It's why I don't drive farther than five miles for income unless it's a special occasion. Good reason though. I've never lived next to good mass transit so I can't say I appreciate it. I do have on-demand ride shares now so it's nice to not have to drive when you don't have to (drinking).

Agreed, people are nice everywhere. There are times during business that I appreciate East Coaster's to-the-point style. Sometimes there just isn't time to 'set a spell' and it's time to get things done. However, I do like the casual politeness of saying 'howdy' to random people.

Big MAK and CCity Zero like this.
  10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I agree with OP that a shuttle belongs in Houston over NYC, I have always agreed.

but “NYC is cursed” because of it and the rest of the thread is such a silly notion. I don’t live there anymore, and I don’t really miss it too much, but it’s incomparable and it doesn’t have anything to do with sports championships. My anecdotes are just as useless as anyone else’s

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'll take LA over both

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

having never visited new york, i'm never going back there.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Talks about fermenting garbage, then brings up London and Chicago... :D

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only way to have a burrito is with fries on the inside of it... :cool:

15. Nook

Nook Member

None of the three smell like flowers, that is for sure. NY just has so many people that garbage is a gigantic problem.

16. the shark

the shark Member

I lived in Manhattan for five yrs. A lot of nice things but I'll take Houston at this stage of my life.

peleincubus likes this.
  17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Man, you guys really took this out of context. I just want the shuttle back!

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

NYC is great to visit.

I'm with you.

#38 Buck Turgidson, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

I like NYC and Houston. I'd move there if I didn't have so many connections here.

As to strip malls? I don't live by that many, and I live in Upper Kirby. I can walk most places and uber anywhere I don't want to walk. Where I live is dirt cheap for this area too. (I just found out the condos across the street START at 700k.)

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Still no comparison to NYC. You probably know many people that live outside of Upper Kirby and therefore hanging out w/ them requires driving. In NYC chances are your entire social network can be a train ride away. It makes hanging out and socializing/dating so much easier.