1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was it right for Mike D'Antoni to play Capela long minutes with 2 infections?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 23, 2019.

?

Good decision?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

85 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't play long minutes, but if someone's able to play, then play them. He ended up not contributing, but we are too small without him anyway.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  2. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Zoplicone likes this.
  3. Remlap

Remlap Member

Dude gets paid $90 Mil to play. THIS is crunch time. The playoffs.
    This was a chance to close them out and get everybody some rest.

And, with no Clint, Faried and Nene are like leprechauns next to Gobert.
    Even Favors was dominating us at times.
    I'm sure they didn't put a gun to Clint's head. But, Michael Jordan gutted out some games with the flu.
    I admire Clint's willingness to go even though he likely felt terrible, and even though
    many on this forum were saying how 'weak' he is.

Once again, the injury/illness bug bites the Rockets during the playoffs

tmoney1101 likes this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Clint spent the game coughing on the jazz. Biological warfare. Game 5 is sealed up like quarantine CC is in now.

smp and justtxyank like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Up 3-0 I might have rested him to accelerate his recovery. But hindsight is 20/20. It's not an easy decision to make.

Hopefully he will be better in Houston tonight both health wise and game wise

tmoney1101 and jordnnnn like this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Up 3-0 you just rest guys who are the slightest banged up. If you lose it was a gentleman's sweep, no honor lost, and the home crowd goes home happy but cognizant of the gentleman's sweep status. If you win, then it's like fighting with a girl where the girl wins. They were so crappy they couldn't beat us even with Capela sitting.

roslolian likes this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

I hope get well soon.

The adenovirus could lead to cancer if it lasts too long.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just because something isn't life threatening doesn't mean it doesn't affect your performance. One of Jordan's most iconic moments is his "flu game" where dominated despite having the flu. But the reason why its so iconic is majority of NBA players play like **** when sick. Obv Capela isn't Jordan, MDA should have had a contingency plan.

MDA should have benched Capela the moment he started playing like trash and used Nene and Hartenstein. Maybe they couldnt cut it but hey, at least Capela gets some rest instead of extended mins which may make his sickness worse. Running up and down and banging hard for 2 hours canrt be good for your recovery. 4 pts and 7 rebs with no defense, pretty sure Nene or Harty could have done the same or better for the night.

It's this lack of adaptability that makes MDA a B or even C tier coach. If we win a ring Harden needs to rise above all star disparity and coaching disparity vs GSW. Thank god Cousins got injured or we would be in deep ****, MDA doesn't know how to make any adjustments once opponents counter his plan.

smp and JW86 like this.
  9. BreakYoSelfFool

Infected both ears and eye. :eek: I don't know what your kid was doing, but definitely had its head somewhere it shouldn't have been.

smp likes this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

MDA in game is not really a coach tbh. He rarely does anything. I felt we did better with Bzdelik for those few games.

11. StevieCrossover

Rockets not a beast without Clint Capela.
    We need him.
    If anything, rest him and if needed, throw him in game 7.
    But if Capela can suck it up, I say catch those alley hoops and pick up james harden guy on defense.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nope, there was a Jazz playoff game where less than 6 players on the team scored for your boy T-Mac.
    In two days, it will be the anniversary of this game.
    Bench: 4 players, 0 points, 7 fouls. (Shoutout to Yao with 8 turnovers).
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200704260UTA.html
    Capture.JPG

tinman and waytookrzy079 like this.
  13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I was in that thread saying he was playing like ass and needed to sit. I didnt know he was sick u till after. D'Antoni should've sat him. I know it's the playoffs but you're up 3-0 you can rest him for future games instead of possibly letting it linger. Hopefully hes gotten better these 2 days and comes out beasting like he normally does.

Hakeemtheking, Deckard and tinman like this.