1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like forever since the Express has played. I have never paid more attention to our AAA team, with so many solid players the box score is a daily must read.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Not an overall good start for the system.

We at least have Yordan Alvarez putting up Mo Vaughn numbers.

3. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

That explained why Tucker hitting like chit so far. He doesn’t like MLB balls.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Been a weird April with so many underperforming at same time. Considering Astros likely will have more opportunities for pitchers, Bukauskas and Whitley are the more concerning. Not that they dont have talent, but that maybe they have something off mechanically or trying to pitch through something.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t really consider any of the pitchers stats to be meaningful at this point. Not a single pitcher has more than 20 IP. And especially considering the lack of rhythm for these guys and the likelihood they are working on their weaknesses which might cause additional struggle, I don’t see any reason to be worried about any of the pitchers unless there are velocity drops or injuries.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What’s interesting is that 25 of the 50 position players who have played this season have a wRC+ of 99 or better. Tucker, Reed, and Matijevic are really the only 3 guys who have unexpectedly struggled. None of the pitchers have thrown enough to judge anything. And Yordan Alvarez is David Ortiz. :)

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

K% becomes more reliable at about 60 batters faced if I recall correctly. Bukauskas is close enough that even if he Ks every batter until he hits 60, his K% will be way down.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Seth Beer is currently 3-3 with a two-run homer (3) in the second game of Fayetteville's doubleheader. He's playing LF in this game.

He went 0-3 and played 1B in the first game.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yordan Alvarez (8) and Kyle Tucker (2) homered as part of a 9-run 7th inning for Round Rock in the first game of their doubleheader in Memphis.

10. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Im not down there. Looks like game was called after 7 innings. Rain?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure if it's all the time, but minor league double headers can be two seven inning games.

No Worries likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yordan Alvarez with yet another homer for Round Rock.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Forest Whitley 4.2 5 K 2 hits 2 bb 80 pitches

I didn’t get to see it. The numbers look solid but someone there told me he wasn’t as good as the numbers show; too many fouled off pitches

TFWIW

Marteen likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Had a late double too... OPS is over 1.310 now.

Marteen likes this.
  15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think he is working on something and just not letting it fly or is he just struggling to be struggling?

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I haven't seen enough of him with my own eyes the last 18 months to make an informed opinion.

I will tell you that I think part of it is that he really hasn't pitched much as a professional.

This is his fourth season as a professional and so far he has only thrown 170 total innings. He has only had one semi normal season, and that was in 2017 when he threw 90 innings, and even then he pitched at three different levels as a 19 year old. The drug suspension in 2018 really set him back because the hope in 2018 was to get him 130+ innings as AA and AAA and help his build towards the big leagues. Instead, in 2018 he has to go down to the low minors to build up his arm and then only got 40 innings in AA. This season he is in AAA.

So basically:

AA: 40 innings in his career

AAA: 11 innings in his career

Has only thrown 63 innings the last two years combined.

My point being that I think if you look at this situation deeper, it may not be fair to expect Whitley to come out like gang busters when he has missed so much time and has pitched so seldom in the higher minors. That doesn't even include the maturity questions involved with the suspension.

We may be better off with him getting a lot of solid work in AAA and working on his issues and then coming up for a cup of coffee late in the year with a chance to make the staff next spring. I know that isn't what we want to hear but it makes sense.

Remember, over the last 4 years he has been through a lot. He completely changed his body and eating habits, he changed his workout habits, he went from not being a prospect to being a first round pick and the number one pitching prospect in the game. He has pitched so little, etc.

If you are asking if he is a problem off the field or to coach like Martes, I have not heard that....... however, keep in mind that in the lower minors the Astros raved at how coachable Martes and Feliz were.... and that changed. Still I see no reason to assume Whitley will be like that.

mikol13, bigdaddy and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

C Carlos Canelon was added to Corpus’ roster as an injury replacement for Lorenzo Quintana. That leaves only RHP Nick Hernandez and RHP Hansel Paulino as unreleased players not showing up on any roster. I think it’s safe to assume both are injured.

After 3 weeks:

AAA hitting stars:
    C Jamie Ritchie
    IF Jack Mayfield
    OF Yordan Alvarez
    OF Derek Fisher

AA:
    IF Josh Rojas
    OF Stephen Wrenn
    OF Chas McCormick

High A:
    1B Jake Adams
    IF Miguelangel Sierra
    3B Colton Shaver
    OF Bryan De La Cruz

A:
    1B Scott Schreiber
    IF Enmanuel Valdez
    OF Jonathan LaCroix

Most encouraged by Alvarez, Ritchie, Mayfield, Rojas, McCormick, Adams, and Valdez.

Joe Joe and Nook like this.
  18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Somehow left Beer off my list of stars so far but obviously he has been stellar. Wish he had walked a bit more but overall great start to the season (especially the last week) and he should be in Corpus by July 1.

20. Buck Turgidson

Jones and Alvarez doing damage again today.

Nook likes this.