1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust McHugh as a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Biggio Was His Name-O, Feb 27, 2019.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You must have enjoyed our flinging volleys at each other more than I thought.

2. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

But leave Peacock alone...he's had a very good start and a very bad start, now he gets some pen work and we'll see.

And on point...I do trust McHugh until I don't, or his arm wears out, or whatever, or not.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So far, so excellent

Theking likes this.
  4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Unlike my irrational fandom of DMo... my fandom of McHugh is completely rational.

desihooper likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

McHugh is on pace for more than 7 fWAR (only DeGrom and Scherzer did better than 7 fWAR last season). He’s currently 7th in the league.

Btw, Joe Musgrove is just ahead of McHugh on that list.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brooksbaseball-Chart (6).jpeg Brooksbaseball-Chart (7).jpeg

So the top chart shows that McHugh has basically been increasing his slider usage since June of last year. The bottom chart shows the whiffs per swing. McHugh has 7 straight months that batters are missing the slider over a third of the time they swing (i.e., increased usage hasn't caused batters to hit it better). The slider continues to be a pitch that McHugh can throw in the zone for strikes (about 15% of the time his pitches are sliders in the zone for a strike). When batters make contact on sliders in the zone against McHugh, they have the second lowest xwOBA (i.e., quality of contact) against starters (at least 10 batted balls).

His slider remains one of the best pitches in the game despite McHugh throwing more innings per outing and every batter knowing it is coming.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

His demeanor is bona-fide starter material. All-Star 2019!

texans1095 likes this.
  8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Lol his slider is fantastic and rightly getting the attention it deserves but I'd actually like to see SnapDragon a little more. His peak curve is an amazing pitch too.