1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikileak thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tmacfor35, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Used to be a big Wikileaks fan until Assange basically turned into everything he claims to be against, threatening media who say things about him that he doesnt want said and trying to subvert the law.

He can certainly dish it out, but he clearly can't stand it when people reciprocate.

As much as I dislike the people he dislikes, he would make them all look like saints if the roles were reversed. I believe Asange would go full Stalin with unlimited power.

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

You mean like Russia's internal surveillance infrastructure, French arms sales to the UAE, domestic spying by the BND domestically in Germany, emails from the Macron campaign, the dirty war over resources between Chinese and Western mining companies in the Central African Republic, emails from the EKP (the ruling party of Turkey), a corrupt Swiss bank, Saudi Foreign Ministry cables, the Syrian Government, the TPP, the Trade in Service Agreement, or the United Nations ?

China - 698,457 results
    Russia - 660,179 results
    Iran - 574, 273 results

There's plenty. And unlike most American corporate media, Wikileaks has never had to issue a retraction.

Invisible Fan and pippendagimp like this.
  3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm not interested in having him marry my sister or be his friend. I am interested in the transparency his organization provides. There's little doubt the guy has more than a few personality disorders, and rubs people the wrong way, but the overwhelming amount of confidential information that Wikileaks has provided that serves the public interest is without precedence.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

http://thisinterestsme.com/wikileaks-bias/

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

So we are to take the word of Andrei Solidatov , a regular contributor to Foreign Affairs, itself a publication of the neo-conservative and hawkish Council on Foreign Relations on the subject of bias and Julian Assange?

The same Council of Foreign Relations that published Henry Kissinger, Donald Rumsfeld, Hillary Clinton, Robert Kagan, and pretty much everyone that signed this letter? No reason to view that without any critical scrutiny!

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am shocked at how many "liberals" are scared of the truth having a platform.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wikileaks is an intelligence organization broseph.

9. TheresTheDagger

Interesting take. Wouldn't an "intelligence organization" be directly involved in planning and executing operations?

From what I understand, Wikileaks has billed itself as a conduit for "whistleblowers". It lets others do the operations and leaks the results. Whether this is a good idea, I leave up to the individual but it seems to me just the existence of such an organization might give pause to governments who have in the past always benefited from the knowledge their secrets remain secret....including the dirty and ugly ones.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Citation needed. Not some Rachel Maddow BS either.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yes, conservatives and the Democratic hawks i.e, the bi-partisan foreign policy consensus says you should always take the word of Kissinger and the types of folks who lied us into Iraq. After enough years you can then sort of deny that you took their word and hope folks forget.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good on Tulsi Gabbard.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

She will get further accused of being pro Russian blah blah.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm tickled that all the conservatives who wanted him hit with a drone strike over Bradley Manning can't seem to recall how they used to feel.

Seriously hilarious to go back and read conservative indignant outrage posts from 2010 and earlier and compare to how they view him today. Bigtexxx used to just tear into the guy mercilessly at every opportunity.

Nook, biff17 and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

That must have been before assange became hannity's guest host and part of trump's oppo research and campaign team...

17. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I agree. [you beat me to it]

Gabbard: Assange arrest is a threat to journalists

Democratic presidential hopeful Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) condemned the arrest of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Thursday, calling the arrest a threat to journalists.

"The arrest of #JulianAssange is meant to send a message to all Americans and journalists: be quiet, behave, toe the line. Or you will pay the price," Gabbard tweeted.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/438542-gabbard-assange-arrest-is-a-threat-to-journalists

18. NewRoxFan

Conservative commentator Jonah Goldberg seems to disagree with you and congresswoman Gabbard...

19. NewRoxFan

Another response to Gabbard...

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, that's a question of interpretation, right? Like so much of our news, these days.