1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is your Favorite Republican President?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Who is your Favorite Republican President during your lifetime?

1. Nixon

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Ford

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Reagan

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Bush Sr

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  5. Bush Jr

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Trump

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like Ike and he's a Texan but he benefits from America being the last man standing after WWII. Still a great man

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I voted for Nixon. In actual policy success, he accomplished way more than Bush the Elder or Younger or Reagan.
    • "Hard-headed dètente" resulting in SALT, the ABM treaty, the Shanghai Communiquè, the Paris Peace Accords
    • Gave Native Americans tribal self-determination rights
    • Advocated and signed Title IX
    • Hosted returning POWs in the largest White House reception in history
    • The War on Cancer (which actually saw significant breakthroughs)
    • Founded the EPA and with it, the Mammal Marine Protection Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Clean Air Act
    • Likely prevented a nuclear war strike from Israel on Cairo and Damascus when it was pummeled in 1973
    • Oversaw (and pushed) desegregation in public schools
    • Set the FBI / Joint Task Forces that went after organized crime and made unprecedented RICO arrests
    • Advocated for the 26th Amendment, which passed under his watch
    Edit: Also, CHIP, even if it wasn't adopted.

#62 Deji McGever, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    CometsWin likes this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

Reagan although if you take away Watergate it would be really close between Reagan and Nixon. Deji list above didn't include opening relations with China and also ending the Vietnam War in his 2nd term.

4. TheresTheDagger

I thought he was the first Black President.....which would make Bill Clinton....the first Black Republican President? o_O

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It was in the first line:
    Shanghai Communiqué
    Paris Peace Accords

6. TheresTheDagger

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

In my lifetime there aren't a lot of good choices. Herbert Walker Bush seems better than Reagan, but then Desert Storm is the root cause of all our dumbest and most expensive choices for two generations. To lose any more than 50 - 100 soldiers in any year after Vietnam or the Cold War ending doesn't make any ******* sense. If I were old enough I'd probably say Eisenhower, just for not decimating the New Deal.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Needs a "None of the Above" selection.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

With regard to Deseret Storm. There was no need to attack as Sadam was withdrawing as soon as he could and we began by bombing his retreating army on the way back. So the war was voluntary. He also destroyed their water and sewerage needlessly killing many thousands in order to cause chaos hoping that the people would overthrow him. War not needed to help our dear friends the Kuwaitis who we could give a crap about aside from their oil. Very overrated, though better than Dubya and Trump.
    Folks should do some research and not just go with the bilateral pro-war foreign policy folks.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Glynch

Ive seen you post about your disagreement about dessert storm. I believe you used to say we gave Saddam the Okay to go into Kuwait

In all.honesty the issue was oil. We can't let a dictator invade a country simply for its resources. Oil is the only thing Saddam wanted.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Voting guide:

Watergate
    Pardon
    Iran Contra
    Iran Contra II
    Cheney
    Imbecile

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I was alive for Ike

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Related question, which storm was your favorite? Desert Storm, Dessert Storm, or Deseret Storm?

Rocket River, CometsWin and NewRoxFan like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I saw that misspelling in another poster's post.

I think the major paper in Arizona is the Deseret Times... but I used to think it was the Desert Times...