1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is your Favorite Republican President?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Who is your Favorite Republican President during your lifetime?

1. Nixon

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Ford

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Reagan

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Bush Sr

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  5. Bush Jr

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Trump

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

People were surprised back in 2008 too.

I agree that Bush wasn't smart enough for the job. I still give him the edge though because he didn't have a glaring personality disorder or complete moral bankruptcy.

Jr's popularity, btw, was sky high 2-3 years in. Iraq wasn't yet a boondoggle, Afghanistan wasn't a boondoggle yet, torture wasn't a thing yet, we didn't know about domestic spying yet, Katrina hadn't landed yet, the economy was still doing well. 9/11 was the only bad thing that had happened and he had actually responded and provided leadership. It was on the back half of his presidency where the accumulated faults of his presidency became clear.

Trump's had only 2+ years to screw up in. He has some irons in the fire, but he hasn't really had time yet to really bring disasters into full fruition. Maybe time will prove you right and prove me wrong, but I feel pretty confident the disasters are coming, especially if he gets another term. I'm being premature though. Let's return to this thread in 6 years and see how Trump fares on the "actual events" metric.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How do you feel about Bush's smarts and qualifications compared to Trump's smarts and qualifications?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Most of Trump's actual issues are not being presidential. On issues like the wall he may not respect the system but the system has kept him in check.

Bush got everything he wanted the first term because Democrats were too afraid of losing popularity to check him. The opposition to Trump has kept him out of trouble.

That being said Bush's economic problems stem from the same principles.

What specifically do you think Trump has done that could lead to disaster in the near future. I think the tax cuts are a long term problem.

Bush used 9-11 to go into Iraq. It happened on his watch and he took a one time event and actually made Islamic extremists hate us more

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m pretty sure I’ve either read or watched a video where they are doing something to lighten regulations in the last week or two. But I digress if you see nothing on the horizon in the next 5-6 years, you sir are a more gifted individual than I.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Donald J Trump

Reasons why
    • Booming economy / Booming stock market
    • Record low unemployment, especially for our black and Hispanic brothers and sisters
    • Largest tax cut in history
    • Cut red tape by enacting sweeping deregulation for businesses
    • We are strong again internationally and negotiating for what is ours
    • ISIS has been utterly obliterated
    • North Korea is no longer trying to nuke us
    • 2 sterling Supreme Court Justice nominations
    • The US is the dominant energy superpower, and priorities and resources have been shifted away from climate change fantasies
    • Our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, which helps protect our families and provides the ultimate check on government power, is safe
    • Obamacare is eradicated, the stain having been lifted
    • Bipartisan criminal justice reform has been enacted
    • No new wars, in fact pulling us out of Iraq and Afghanistan
    • Scandal free - Exonerated of the Russian collusion charges

GOOD DAY

cml750 and mick fry like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't done before. Other presidents knew there was a need and didn't do as much as Bush Jr. did.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

Reagan but Trump is gaining on him.

mick fry likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think Trump did more as an executive than Buah did as governor. Trump was born with a silver spoon but he did increase the value of the Trump brand.

Bush was a failure as a business man and governor of Texas is a ceremonial position. Trump is smarter

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bill Clinton is my favorite Republican President.

Rashmon, Deji McGever and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im very cynical of the recent credit Bush gets for his work on AIDS in Africa because i think its an attempt to help his legacy because i think people don't want his legacy to be so dismal because he is likable.

That being said i didn't know it went back to 2003 and that it went through Congress. Still im just reminded of broken clocks

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's better to just judge the actions. The action he gets credit for is the action he put into place in regards to giving aid to Africa for the HIV problem.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"recent credit Bush gets"? Did you look at any of the articles I posted? One was from 2012, one was from 2009. How in the world do you get "recent"?

And why would think I or anyone else is worried about GWB's "legacy"? I didn't vote for the guy, didn't support him in either race and if you look back in D&D you will see I criticized much of what he did. That said, he had a few important accomplishments. He also came from a good family... his wife was a great First Lady and his daughters are both awesome.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ive seen it in the last few years. Not just your post

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

You dropped your mic sir, you want me to pick it up? Oh you meant to do that? Kudos! I will add that he did all that and addressed the immigration crisis while getting no support.

#54 mick fry, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  15. bobrek

#windmillscausecancer

No Worries likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nucalear power does

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Enlightening . . .. Thanks guys

Rocket River

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Abraham Lincoln or more recently Eisenhauer before they became mindless gubmint haters so they could cut taxes on the wealthy.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

20. bobrek

Not sure of the oranges of that...