1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Matt Kalil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Fantasma Negro

I don't know what to say about this singing. Still feel tackle is a position that could be addressed early in the draft but no longer in the first. Let's hope knee surgery cures all that ailed Kalil and he can be a productive player for this team

raining threes likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Just need him to be productive

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm concerned the Panthers wouldn't have thrown him in the trash heap if there was a reasonable chance he could still play. Obviously they had the best info on the state of his knee.

I wish the press could have put a dollar value to that one year deal. It might give me some idea whether the expect him to be healthy, or whether they are just playing the lotto.

There is value to having placeholders at need positions prior to the draft so other teams don't feel like they are able to predict exactly how you are going to use your picks.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Deshaun might not survive the season.........

6. Buck Turgidson

I expect absolutely nothing from him so I can only be pleasantly surprised.

DonnyMost, jcf, macho GRANDE and 7 others like this.
  7. raining threes

Because it won't cost as much to get Kalil as it would have to get Penn and you don't want to ruin the Texans chances of winning the most salary cap room championship.

javal_lon and macho GRANDE like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is really pathetic. Most of the Texan's signings scream "mediocre." This one screams "dumpster diving." Instructions to GM: keep it cheap; remember our motto: spend less, save more, keep it marginal. We only want to "look like" we are about winning.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

The most annoying thing is they're not even getting the best bargains. Look around the league and there have been real deals. No one is saying Gipsons contract is an absolute bargain. Clinton-Dix was a bargain for example. Tevin Coleman was a bargain. Waddle was a bargain. Roby is the highest paid of the free agent CBs.

They are just bringing in mediocre players and hoping they play better here for one year. No clear improvement. No long term plan except putting all their eggs in the draft bucket. But there are 20 teams who are looking to get better with the draft too.

You would think they would try every option possible to fix one of the worst units in the whole league. Yet they have signed one tackle who is not even one of the ten best that were available. It's like they are scared to have a solid plan B.

I hope they luck into some big time player via trade or if he gets released. I still think they can be alright but signing this years version of Breno Giacomini does nothing to instill confidence that they are doing all they can to make this team better.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Let's just hope that Matt doesn't get Deshaun Kalil'd.

raining threes and juanm34 like this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its all part of Gaines masterplan. Sign no one to suck this year, in which we will, and get butt chin fired. Bring in a real coach and start actually spending money wisely.

Buck Turgidson and Htown Legend like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Also, this has been a solid mindset for the Texans in general for much of their existence.

Stupid like a fox?

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Will this impact their ability to go after Penn? Or is Kalil just a backup for depth?

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nothing wrong with bringing him in for depth but they damn well better draft some o line help early.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Penn wants to start. Kalil wants to start. Texans want Davenport to start. We all want them to draft a rookie to start. I think at this rate only way Penn is coming here is if the Texans dont get their guy in the draft.

In the mean time, for your viewing pleasure:

(I hope Deshaun isnt reading this)

donkeypunch likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You can expect nothing and STILL get let down by this guy.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

So he's the Carmelo of the Texans?

justtxyank likes this.
  20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I know a guy who is a panthers fan, he told me he was one of the worst o-line men on their roster before he went down last season lol.