1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Just wanted to add, IIRC, that "book" does not say that *money* is the "root of all evil." It says *love of money* is the "root of all evil."

2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

UBI won't work, is [the "r" word], and will ruin the economy. All of this is true.

Plus, there's the "moral hazard" question of paying people for doing nothing.

There's so many things wrong with the concept that it would take a 2,000 word essay (at least) to fully describe and explicate.

3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This is an interesting paragraph.

If college has become 2.5 times more expensive, but not 2.5 times more valuable, then people need to quit attending and paying for it. The marketplace can fix this (when people quit going). And arguably for many professions, it's just not needed any longer. People just have to get out of the mindset that they *have* to go to college. Certain professions, yes, but not most.

With regard to healthcare, he says that it's broken because it does not exist in a marketplace. I could arguably agree with that. But he doesn't say anything about fixing that "marketplace." He just wants to throw more money at the situation, which either a) won't have any impact or b) will make the situation worse.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Did you meant to reply to me? I'm was paraphrasing someone else.

He was pointing out example of inflation. You can go to his website to see his position on healthcare.

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I was in a sense, because I think (thought) you were advocating UBI, and criticizing the other poster for his opposition to it (?)

If I misunderstood, I apologize.

But suffice it to say, I oppose UBI; it will be cancerous on several levels.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm for the concept for more reasons than just the automation/technological advancement/transitional job loss problem. I'm not criticizing the other posters for his opposition, but for making a claim without backing it up. The poster eventually did, and it was about hyper inflation, which I find completely unconvincing.

"cancerous" doesn't do anything to any discussion. If you want a discussion, make your points, updated points as I've already seen most of your past posts on this topic.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I completely understand. Maybe I didn't explain it with enough detail. I will try to break it down more for you, but read it with an open mind before scoffing.

UBI gives people $1000 per month initially.

Everyone now has a regular income of $1000 extra.

No one worked for it, so that $1000 has less value (keep going before you scoff).

A contractor who paints walls will now also get $1000 and will be less motivated to work unless you pay him more. He also knows you have UBI. He will raise his prices.

Companies selling products will see more people buying their products, and this increase in demand will justify their price hikes. That and they know everyone has $1000 extra per month, because they went to business school and know how to squeeze for every penny.

Landlords will also be able to raise rents because of the larger number of people competing to rent the limited number of units on the market. Housing will see price hikes the soonest IMO.

The prices rise, and rise, and rise, as demand is increased for products and services, which have scarcity. Which means there is a limited number of those things to go around. Supply and demand will play out and prices will creep upwards at first. This will largely effect the value and buying power of the dollar. It will go down.

When the buying power of the dollar goes down, that means your work becomes less valuable over time because that hourly wage or salary you make no longer means as much. This is another reason people will raise prices. They will have to to keep their standard of living. People will then need more income and UBI as the cost of living begins to double or triple and their work, and the old prices, aren't enough to cut it. The wages and UBI they were getting will not be enough in many cases, so what is the solution?

Many propose tethering the UBI to the cost of living or raising it to meet needs as prices increase. This doesn't actually make the underlying economic problem go away. Instead, it creates a feedback loop because the UBI is what is causing the problem in the first place. This is what leads to hyper inflation as this feedback loop continues.

#228 dachuda86, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    BruceAndre likes this.
  9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Love me some Yangbucks.

[​IMG]

10. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

In conclusion, people care about money. The lengths and extremes they will go through for money is scary.

People do not care about people.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Jump Ship. Do you care about people?

Jump Ship likes this.
  12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I think, perhaps, you are hoping for a utopian world that never was and never will be.

That said, I'm sometimes surprised how people will sometimes go out of their way to help other people. Although, it usually doesn't involve giving away their money. But sometimes giving money is of less help than actually giving of your time and energy.

Jump Ship likes this.
  13. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

The main issue (to globalists) is not even giving each American $12,000 a year, it’s the rest of the world following suit.

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

dachuda86 pretty much nailed it in post #228

15. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

If we lived in that world and I argued this one was better people would think I am joking.
    so you are upset because the minimum cost of labor would go up. That is not the real issue. Think of what it would mean if other countries followed suit. The global mimimum cost of labor would rise. Cheap labor would be a scarcity. Big corporations do not want that.

Globalists seem to only value your dollar based on the abount of work poor people will do for it. The more poor the country, the better. It is not a coincedence how the countries with the most poor have the most corrupt leaders. They sell out the country for bribes.

The rest of the world would want UBI if Americans got if. That is the biggest issue, as it would solve too many problems.

16. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

There are too many real issues in america and globally that do not get talked about. ubi can help with many of these issues.

But, but people would ask for more money for jobs.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You on drugs???

18. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Your only excuse for it not working is we would have to pay contractors more money for their work.

Boo ****ing hoo

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't think you understand my argument if that is all you took away from it. You missed the whole part about prices of goods rising and rent/home prices. It isn't just about some contractors charging more. They will have to! Everyone will have to, and people will lose jobs faster to automation than you would ever expect. The implications are terrible for the outlook of the economy. The prices go up and so does inflation. Money doesn't just appear out of thin air. When costs go up, and UBI outpaces your salary, your work is worth LESS! It is a terrible idea and that does lead to inflation. I know these are big economic terms for you, but you need to understand what hyper inflation is before you start trying to make this about a contractor. That is such a reduction of my actual argument.

20. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

The biggest winners will be the ones who keep their prices the same. People will stop eating big macs if mcdonalds suddenly wants double. In fact, there will be huge waves of people who will stop eating somewhere or buying from certain companies if they raise their prices significantly.

Also, ubi would increase or decrease annually due to inflation based on 2 factors: rent and gas. Problem solved. You just cant admit you are greedy.