1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Legit Backup C = Last 2 Losses

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 21, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This topic is worthless without discussing that we are on a very strong run otherwise (12 in 14), and Val got every possible phantom call the refs could muster, and single handedly matched the Rockets in free throws (17-20), and Conley was also on fire, and Chandler Parsons did things(????) and the Grizz were shooting over 65% from the field at the half, and we lost on a last second 50/50 rebounding battle called as a foul when there wasn't even time for the shot to have gone up... And still lost by one possession.

If we can keep those things in perspective... Yeah sure the season is doomed, trade Harden, fire Morey, MDA, etc.

corbe, topfive, alethios and 3 others like this.
  2. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We should start house and use Gary clark as backup. Shamp is melo, Joe Johnson and ryno level negative points on the court

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

The issue last night is we didn’t try to win until the fourth quarter. /thread

s3ts likes this.
  4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

people always have the belief that the game is a progression - its not... like many things in life its a pendulum... Somebody has success doing a certain thing the copycat league gravitates to that extreme.... somebody does something different to exploit the weaknesses of that extreme and has success - and the league swings back in that direction....
    So yeh, I believe the small ball/3 ball heavy offenses will lead to a resurgence of the big man...

Everybody loves to the math and analytics of it all...
    3>2 and all that....
    but 3 @.400 = 1.2
    and 2 @ .600 = 1.2
    so just a mater of when the tendencies inherent in 1 style of play tip the scales to allow for a greater return by going against the grain....

and people always love to say "We're not just about the 3 ball - it's also paint points..." sure we are... we just happen to be the worst team in the league at pitp this season - so is it really a focus? lol

RichieBanks and smp like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think he's hurt

Only played 11 mins in his last rgv game and then got "called up" , but didn't play . So , my guess is he was getting treatment

Plus he was on the injury report the other day for "sore Achilles"

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Somebody call Morey.....

This guys figured it out.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We had nothing to offer that evens sniffs JVs value

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i realize yer being sarcastic jordnnnn... but yer a numbers guy.... per 100 possessions we allow the most pitp in the league.... while scoring the fewest pitp per game/2nd fewest pitp per 100 possessions (GSW is the fewest pitp per 100 possessions - but appear to do a better job defending as the have the 6th fewest pitp allowed per 100).

Obviously we are an extrapolation of GSW taken to the nth degree.... we are built for small ball/3 ball heavy perimeter shooting - so we do not have the personnel to better defend the paint. So whereas we are benefiting on the offense side - we are giving up a higher amount of easy buckets in the paint on the defensive end... and 3 @.400 = 2 @.600

and you can also extrapolate that into rebounding.... with the small ball option vs larger rebounders for the other team...

Which is why I've always said its about balance....

but one caveat to add to the numbers is the score within each game (as nothing happens in a vacuum)... if GSW is up 20 in the 4th qtr... the other team is reduced to chucking 3's in an attempt to try to bridge the gap - as opposed to taking what may be easier pitp... so that could skew their pitp defensive numbers...

realizing the numbers are a tool - not the end all conclusion... ;)

#28 kjayp, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. Moleb

Moleb Member

Til this day I don't know why we didn't offer brook Lopez a contract. Now bucks have him at 3m per year.

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Yes I noticed that when he is in foul trouble he basically becomes a liability defensively. Valanciunas did the same exact moves that Demarcus did the other night.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We chose to rush to sign MCW and wait a month to sign MCW. We didn't address actual needs with those spots.

The 2018 offseason will forever be confounding

kjayp, topfive and Moleb like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we didn't offer more than the vet minimum to any potential new player

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

I posted a thread in summer.
    Sign free agent Brook Lopez 3 million dollars/year.
    No one agrees with me. Everyone wants to spend full MLE for a better player.

Morey may be able to use vet min to find a good center in July.

Moleb likes this.
  14. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

It's really just building a team that can match the Warriors. They go small a lot, and Shump guarding Klay would seem to be more valuable than a backup 5 guarding Kevon Looney... It'll be nice when Faried and Nene are fully utilized. Faried can "in-fact" rebound.

15. dwhite

dwhite Member

Credit to you....Brook would have been a good counter to the Cousins signing. Instead we got MCW and Shumpert. As stated earlier, Morey doesn’t appear to value the backup center position.

kjayp likes this.
  16. s3ts

s3ts Member

I don't think you'd be saying that if Harden didn't keep this team afloat so we can be in position to compete for the 3rd seed in the WC.

I can admit that I did not see the Rockets playing this well because we were terrible at the beginning of the season. We seem to have a lot more than I realized, even while keeping the team on a reasonable budget. Morey has done a great job fixing this roster as the season progressed, and I can eat crow for that too.

I'm also going to say we have a shot to win the chip this year with the roster configured right now. This thought has not crossed my mind since before the season began.

HOWEVER,
    1. We could've been a tanking team. Harden single-handedly saved this season.
    2. CP and Capela have been injured and can be injured any time. It's even more important to have backups for that reason. In fact, that's why we were excited about Brandon Knight at the beginning of the season because we thought he could back up Harden/CP when it mattered.
    3. Window is narrow, we'll only go as far as Harden/CP/Capela takes this team. Surrounding them with the best talent is important.

Easy likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you seriously think that Ariza and Luc would have made a major difference?

Rocket River

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Because we signed this guy instead:

[​IMG]

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We've had this problem for a long time and so did the Warriors.

Unfortunately, we never filled that problem while the Warriors added Cousins.

This year feels so half-assed by the front office. If you really want to win something when the Big 5 Warriors exist, you need to go all-in.

Right now our front office plan is: Wait for the Warriors to lose one of their stars this off-season before we give it all we got. What if Warriors don't lose anyone this off-season? We'll probably half-ass it again next season to wait for another season meanwhile CP3 is getting older and we fail to retain our key role players because of the money our stars are taking.

Oh, don't worry, Morey will keep adding vet min players to save our seasons!

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Since we've won 12 of 14 I guess the implication is that with a better backup center we'd win every game?