1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: Assassin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Mar 20, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Really high praise from Bazmore. No whining.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

My respect for Bazemore just went up. He's a thinker on defense and doesn't make excuses for himself.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Harden's ability to keep his dribble alive and be patient is very underrated. It's what separated Nash, Stockton, and CP3 from other point guards. The fact that Harden has this skill and can finish in the top 5 percent of NBA players is what makes the best offensive player of all time. He just waits until he has an opening and he doesn't need much.

D-rock, Roxs-Redemption, rhee and 7 others like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thinker? What he said wrt being able to contest the step back better is bs. I hope he was just joking about using spin for better recovery.

He’s just spinning so he doesn’t fall down

The only reason you spin on defense is because you’re overcommitted one way, and likely wrong-footed. Spinning around sometimes works for Center Fielders in baseball, rarely works for Cornerbacks in football, but never works in basketball, hand grenades or guarding Messi,,,

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I suspect the moments he spaces out on defense is to analyze plays moments before.

The simulations end when he has the ball in his hands.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bazemore would have made a fantastic Rocket

bmelo likes this.
  8. SemisolidSnake

I respect Bazemore for calling it like it is and prioritizing giving highest props to James.

That doesn't mean I still don't want people to make a few gifs of him a la the Neymar roll. :D

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Don’t just leave your stuff to twitter!!:cool:

Going to echo rockbox... People talk about how much James dribbles, but there is a reason why. He will pick that precise moment to attack the defender when he’s most vulnerable.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

HA! I will bring it here too. @justtxyank beat me to it! LOL. A good problem to have. ;)

justtxyank and mikol13 like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I made sure to quote YOUR tweet instead of Bazemore's directly.

Deuce and D-rock like this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Assassin mode - Activated

[​IMG]

And Kent is full of sh**, he just got the Wesley Johnson treatment and is now trying to cover up for fu**in up.

edwardc and Roxs-Redemption like this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The most amazing athlete of our generation for sure. Some of the stuff he does makes you scratch your head. He has more head scratchers in one season than pretty much every other legendary player has in a life time.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

That's exactly what he said "Either that or fall"... you literally took what he said and spit it back out.

17. heypartner

He also said, had Harden done a step-back, he would have been OK for “a solid contest.” And, instead he drove. But regardless, I don’t think you can spin against anyone, much less an assassin. My point is less about Harden and more about whether Bazemore can ever justify spinning-around defense. Lulz

I mean, I think he’s having fun here, but that’s why I said, I hope he’s joking that spinning around would have allowed any type of “solid contest” against anyone. My contention is with any of 100 NBA players, the moment you spin around, it’s already over, whatever your original intentions were.

Do you not agree?

Louka and BigMaloe like this.
  18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I dont think it's that deep.

I think he says he had to choose in that moment, to either fall or spin and chose the lesser evil. He falls he has nothing and even more shame. The over exaggeration on why he chose to spin is to sell this idea he was coherent and in control.

He got burned, admitted to it, but like most of us with our egos, tried to downplay it some.

I respect his opinion and reflection on it. White lies and all

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What the entire f*ck!!!

LMAO!!!!

Rocket River

20. heypartner

Well, last post there I was going out of my way to emphasize that I'm trying to address a general question. I don't think anyone can ever spin around in basketball v 100s of competent scorers, and there is a lot in Bazemore's comment that makes him appear to be saying that there are possible uses of it. Maybe against DMo and JLin, but not real NBA scorers.

If anyone disagrees with me here (as I'm trying to find out), THEN we got an interesting, general basketball discussion for the Dish...and I'll start a poll there.

So, you're saying he's spinning his spin defense? :)

"had Harden done that [a step back], I'd be in position for a solid contest." uh, no, Champ...you wouldn't. You spin; you lose; against anyone.​

BigMaloe likes this.