1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good luck with that

mick fry likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good luck with what?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, my thoughts as well. Lesser known candidate needs more coverage to have a chance. I said it increases his chance, not decrease it.

The UBI candidate wishing he get mocked by Jimmy Fallon.

5. dobro1229

My philosophy is it’s not about luck. It’s about putting yourself in as many situations as possible to get lucky that you can. You open yourself up to good things potentially happening and you’ll find that some good things happen for you.

But anyways. Back to it

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

TheFreak and dobro1229 like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That Beto would be attacked by Democrats on the Left and trumpers on the Right was entirely predictable. One of the memes is he "married money," ignoring the money he inherited from his own family, as if being wealthy is a sin. If being wealthy is a "sin" then if each member of Congress were included in a list of the wealthy and kicked out of Congress because of it, the Capital would be nearly empty.

Putting that aside, which those on the far edges of both parties won't, being immersed in hypocrisy, Beto didn't accept PAC money for his senate race. He had one political fund raising account that limited an individual contribution to $2700 bucks, total, under Federal law. The guy managed to raise over $70 million, out raising Cruz, who accepted funds from anyone and any entity. So it was OK for Bernie not to accept PAC money and "dark money," but not for Beto to refuse it? That's the weird impression given by some here.

It's fine for Cruz to take money from anyone, including PACs and "dark money," in any amount and without disclosure, but if Beto came from a well off family in far West Texas, and then married into an even more wealthy family, that's somehow a strike against him?

What's a real trip to me is this bizarre attempt to micro analyze his fiction written in high school, his time in a band. No one else here wrote crazy fiction or poetry at that age? I certainly did, and would have been in a band if I had any talent in that direction. Instead, I hung out with them.

It was a fun era, one long before Beto was a gleam in his parents eye, but I can relate to him. He was trying to express himself, instead of forcing minority's, people of color, out of their New York apartments so he could raise their rents, which is what trump and his very rich daddy did. In contrast, Beto was growing up around people of color who were his friends. It's no surprise that he speaks fluent Spanish.

The one thing I agree with @glynch about is Beto's need to spell out his platform, to spell out his stands on the issues. It was easier in Texas, where Cruz is hated even by members of his own party, who held their noses and voted for him anyway, hypocrisy writ small. Beto was running against an easy target, in a state slowly becoming purple, the major cities have a Democratic majority, which they proved in 2018. He was a fresh, articulate, charismatic voice in contrast to Cruz's strange, inexplicable self, a person who would do anything to win, including frantic support for the "man" who attacked both his wife and his father with insults and lies.

Today's Republicans apparently revel in insults and lies. Look who they support! A volume producer of both.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

As a counter example, early mocking did not stop Trump.

Deckard likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Beto isn't Trump. Also Beto is in the Democrat party. Different party. ;)

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. dobro1229

So true. And Glynch is right about that platform needing specifics. I think on specifics Elizabeth Warren is the one actually who would be the one to really make Beto and Booker specifically look like novices. It’s actually kind of shocking the Bernie folks still prefer him if she’s in the race. She’s basically Bernie but with some damn good policy. Bernie’s plan is easy to comprehend but it’s unclear how the plan becomes policy while Warren is crystal clear.

My thing is we often look at group A’s comments (Trump trolls) and group B’s comments (Bernie is god folks) as if they are the only opinions out there about the Democrats field when in reality It’s unbelievably a great thing that there is such a diverse field with so many different approaches.

It should be refreshing and make us feel really optimistic about these next two years of learning about visions for the future of the county that are so diametrically opposite of what we have now. I love that Beto is in the race, and love that Bernie is in the race. Etc. it’s all a good thing for the country and the party. The Democratic Party is what the founders wanted for the country to begin with. They just thought that those diverse set of ideals wouldn’t need to be all in one party out of necessity because the other major party was so overwhelmingly power and rich.

Deckard and biff17 like this.
  11. dobro1229

You obviously were too young when Clinton was president. He was SNL gold. Daryl Hammond is a genius.

Beto looks to be a good natured target for spoofs which is great. Surprised nobody has mocked his standing on tables thing yet.

Sh$ts funny man. That’s the point. Doesn’t mean he’s unpopular. Usually means quite the opposite which I’m not sure you are comprehending.

Trump spoofs are all over the place because the guy is a clown, looks weird, and acts weird. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad Person or bad President because he’s mocked. He’s a bad person and a bad president because of the very dark and serious things he does that are not laughing matters. Just shows how snowflakey Trump and his followers are that they get all worked up over spoofs. It’s a rite of passage in this country and a good thing to laugh at ourselves even at the highest levels.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

When the republicans hit rock bottom...

MiddleMan and dachuda86 like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

obviously

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Aaahhhh hahahaha pretty good. Irish descent people like myself laugh cause we arent looking to be victims. Have a laugh for once will ya? Have a beer too.

#315 dachuda86, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    MiddleMan likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I see Beto brought in the big bucks on his first day. good for him.

17. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Whoa, where is the real Mexican candidate Julián Castro from San Antonio?

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

$6.1M on the first day is quite impressive.

Deckard likes this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

Good **** man.

20. dobro1229

I donated to Beto back in 2018, and based on the list I've been on being able to translate directly into a presidential donor list, it's not shocking knowing how they contact me. That's the reason Beto & Bernie have raised so much more money this quick... Good contact info in the database, and good solid messaging through different forms of communication.

Deckard, Hakeemtheking and mdrowe00 like this.