1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I had health benefits through my employer back then and have them through my wife now. We need universal coverage. Obama didn't make maybe raises to anyone's taxes except the uninsured.

Leaving a nest egg for children is the opposite of meritocracy for the children (and I'm sorry if millions aren't enough of a head start).

I think you don't understand what meritocracy is. And where do we get the idea people are poor because they don't work hard?

Nook likes this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Another thing. Beto is basically a billionaire in waiting as his father in law is a multi-billionaire so there is a reason he seems fairly content with the status quo.

3. Buck Turgidson

If I didn't have the means, it would cost me around $75K out of pocket to have my knee replaced. The other option would be to not get it done and go on some sort of government disability program and start popping pills to ameliorate the pain, then get addicted to oxy or fentanyl or whatever. What a bargain. What a great use of resources.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Beto is toast. The establishment is knocking off its strongest competition early. So much for trying to keep the field open.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm no fan of Beto, but way too early to declare anything. The process will play itself out.

I don't want to even post any polling at this point, but here are two.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

[​IMG]

As for a hypothetical vs Trump... at least this poll said Beto wouldn't do so well.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...beto-nearly-ties-bernie-but-loses-to-biden-in

MiddleMan likes this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. Buck Turgidson

Who *hasn't* done whippets in a Phish parking lot?

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Beto is the antithesis of my personal favorite, Amy Kobluchar. He’s an energetic, fresh new face. Experience wise? Nah, I’m not buying his candidacy as viable. If anything he’ll be VP bait if an oldie like Bernie or Biden gets the nod (not to mention the B alliteration for bumper stickers!).

I’m gonna shamelessly plug Kobluchar here though. We desperately need someone who can reach across the aisle, and someone wise enough to trust on policy decisions. I think she’s the real deal; unfortunately she may not be the sexy name to win over nationwide support

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you've got Jimmy Fallon mocking you this early in the process, I think you're going to have trouble selling yourself to the American voting public

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If you go for the qualifications angle, Hillary would have been potus long ago, even over Obama.

11. Major

Major Member

A meritocracy is a situation where what you achieve is based on your own merits. Having access to a better education or safer schools because your parents were well off is not a meritocracy. Having access to basic nutrition as a 5 year old because your parents aren't in poverty is not meritocracy - the kid did nothing to earn that over his or her impoverished classmate.

There's plenty of evidence that kids' success is very heavily influenced by their parents' lot in life. Nothing wrong with that - but that's the opposite of earning that success based on your own merits.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is exactly right. There is a massive wait list at the Harris County Indigent health care for hernia and knee replacement surgeries (over a year) and laborer types cannot just shift to office jobs all of a sudden. These waiting times are much longer than the waits for elective surgeries that the enemies on national health exaggerate say from Canada.

13. Commodore

if a teacher found this today, Beto would be (rightly) reported for mental health concerns

MiddleMan likes this.
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hahaha, God you guys are hilarious. Cult of the Dead Cow was a really well known hacker collective back in the 90's. That's actually incredibly impressive if he was a part of it.

The hypocrisy of the right never ceases to amaze me.

#294 Harrisment, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Deckard, Amiga and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Commodore

I was referring to the story he wrote about running over children

not sure how to post single tweets when they are threaded

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol ignores the sick story for obvious reasons...

mick fry and cml750 like this.
  17. Commodore

With the qualifier that more stuff about his past could come out that would end him, Beto will be the nominee.

He has Hollywood, the media, and Obama team (including Oprah) all supporting him.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He seems to turn out okay.

Maybe society today is too sensitive to teen imagination. If you read more, you’ll see he was expressing view of antigovernment and that of anarchist and yet somehow he’s now a D. Perhaps that’s because people evolve their view from their teen year?

These things hardly concern me. It’s a plus in my book that he once belong to that hacker group. The guy is an interesting character.

19. conquistador#11

I thought some of you were into hacking.

Harrisment likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What? That makes no sense at all. You don’t see anyone mocking Amy Klobachar or Corey Booker on late night. You know why? Because the people that watch Jimmy Fallon know who Beto is but don’t know or care about 9/10ths of the Dem candidates at this stage.

Beto is a larger than life character and has public noteriety. That’s why he’s got late night spoofs, and Amy Klobachar doesnt. Not because he has any less of a chance at becoming president. Actually I think that means he has a greater chance.

The people commenting negatively about Beto right now are two types of people.

A. Trumpers who wouldn’t vote for a Democrat if their life depended on it.
    B. Purist Bernie folks who think Beto isn’t a purist

The big question with Beto is whether or not those “B” folks will support Beto or anyone else if Bernie doesn’t win, and they throw another fit like they did in 2016.

The other question is what will the folks that don’t pay attention to politics on a daily basis think of Beto come time to start caring. Those are the folks that put Obama in the White House. Not the daily online pundits who have made their minds up two years before the election.