1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Andrew Yang for President 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roxfreak724, Feb 18, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm also curious if this some sort of gameplan by Carlson. He seemed over the top in approval - for a dem presidential candidate, which just makes me suspicious that this is some sort of ****ery afoot.

Either, he's trying to scare Dems away from candidates like Yang/Gabbard, people on the left have already use this type of smear on Gabbard with "Tulsi Gabbard has a lot of people on the right who like her, she must be bad". Same thing happens with Bernie. Not sure if this is a good plan in the long run though.

OR

He sees there's a group of people on the left who feel disenfranchised by the democratic party, and he's trying to reel them into his show by praising Dems like Yang/Gabbard on issues the mainstream left are against or ignoring overall.

Or maybe the guy just really agrees with him, but I'm skeptical.

#161 ThatBoyNick, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Amiga likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He will have to keep that position. Probably agrees for the sake of appealing to the working class.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Isn’t this how Trump won the Rust Belt states?

4 million jobs were lost to automation in swing states that Trump carried in 2016. What was Hillary’s message to those 4 million people in 2016? What is the Democrat Presidential hopefuls message to them in 2020?

Yang has a message, while most of the others do not.

#163 No Worries, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I don't oppose UBI but how would you justify UBI now when the unemployment rate is at 4 percent? I can see this being implemented in 20 or 30 years.

6. VanityHalfBlack

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hard to believe but FiveThirtyEight putting Yang's odds as roughly even with Elizabeth Warren's and Cory Booker's

One of the biggest shockers is how confident betters are in Democratic candidate Andrew Yang, FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver points out. Sure, the entrepreneur may only have a 2.1 percent chance of winning the entire presidency, per these odds, but he's tied with Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and not far behind Sen. Elizabeth Warren's (D-Mass.) 2.2 percent.​

https://theweek.com/speedreads/828517/andrew-yang-same-2020-odds-elizabeth-warren

B-Bob, VanityHalfBlack and No Worries like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The unemployment numbers can't be correct when 90 something million able bodied people are not working.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wouldn't the best time to introduce UBI be when unemployment is low? Kind of ease into it.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

UBI doesn't work! It is r****ded. Why don't people take a damn economics class? Seriously, it will ruin the economy. That is not an overstatement either. It is not a dramatization.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Asian pride!!

12. VanityHalfBlack

Where are the memes?

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Milton Friedman, an American economist who received the 1976 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, disagrees with your opinion.

The state of Alaska disagrees with your opinion.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@dachuda86 And the "economist" Andrew Yang himself. Which he has a degree in.

iconoclastic and No Worries like this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Did you know that economists have different schools of thought? I would love for you to show me why you think I was wrong other than cherry picking econimists and their opinions and politics. Explain your position with cause and effect and in detail and prove me wrong. I have given details because I understand enough about the economy to do so. Why can't you? Also promising free stuff is classic political talk. Nothing new. Yang has every motive in the world to lie to gain more power, fame, and fortune.

#175 dachuda86, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I will say this... amazon needs to pay more taxes and other rich groups and individuals. That is not unreasonable when I pay huge portions of my income each year. They are crooks and UBI doesn't fix that. There is a large part of our problem... Taxing the middle class until they are the lower class basically. Screw working harder right? Offshoring and tax credits that zero out a person's or company's responsobility to the state should be tantamount to treason. Basic closing of loopholes needs to be done but no one wants to actually do it in the wealthy political class because they benefit from the system they built to exclusively favor them.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2019/02/14/amazon-doesnt-pay-federal-taxes-2019

17. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

You boomers better start participating in the meme wars. They killing yall right now.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I took micro and macro when I got a Bach in Business. And now currently in graduate school.

I don’t know much about Economics though. And definitely don’t have much interest in it. So I won’t be able to give much of an opinion. I just thought it was funny that he had a degree in Eco when I looked it up, when related to your comment.

Carry on

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

But you were sure it won't work and would ruin the economy. Now you said there are different thoughts, and that's accurate.

if you make a claim, you back it up, not the other way. I haven't seen you do that.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have made countless explantions in this thread. Wth are you talking about? God your argument is weak too. Yes there are different schools of thought which means you cannot just cherry pick. And Yang is no longer am economist. He is a politician and snake oil salesman.