1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

'Yeah, you want to talk to me now. You wouldn't pay me.'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Mar 15, 2019.

1. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

"House is not going to make a difference. Stop acting like Shumpert is any worse." Idiot homers who defend the coaching staff and front office no matter what

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s see if you can go a week without saying “idiot homers” in a post :rolleyes:

3. jj3469

jj3469 Member

Where does the narrative that Tillman is cheap come from? Getting under the cap this year really helped nudge the championship window open a bit more by delaying repeater tax

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

@The Cat

I think both the videos are correct, in light of Nook's reply to my inquiry in this thread.
    House ran by Capela and Tilman. I think Tilman started talking with House, while Capela was signing autographs.

House needs to keep quiet and continue to play hard nosed basketball on the court in every game. He is gonna hear a lot of trash talking from opposing players whenever he gets on the court and from their stupid fans and in the press.

My gut feeling is that he will continue to play with a chip on his shoulder to prove everybody wrong. Harden doesn't say much, but he plays to
    prove everyone wrong too.

I'm not comparing their talent levels, we need everyone to do their best.

snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I was just going off of what Bill and Clyde said. They seem to think they saw something. I'm not sure at what point after the game ended that Bill thinks he saw something. I haven't seen any video showing House snubbing Tilman. I've only heard Bill and Clyde comment that they saw something.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. But, I think it would be smart of House and all NBA players to try to remain on good terms with the owners. And I think it's smart for owners to stay on good terms with players. Both sides may need each other in the future.

D-rock, BigM and saleem like this.
  6. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

So basically Morey and Tillman are totally in the right. Okay, buddy...

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I saw the thing on stream and if i remember well House was the last guy into the tunnel, tried to go past Clint and Tilman was there, they had like a handshake and said like one/two words to each other, didn't look anything special in either way to me, just regular congrats after a win.

DreamShook and topfive like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Say goodbye to Bill Worrell

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, I didn't get the impression that Tilman was kissing ass or that House was brushing him off.

Looked more to me like Tilman was showing appreciation to one of his key employees and that House was politely pausing for a second before continuing to the locker room. Who knows what both of them were thinking, but the optics weren't nearly as bad as Worrell seemed to think.

snowconeman22 and Vivi like this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Does anybody have real full video, he said she said scenario. Bill does over dramatizes, "Ooh look what happened" Bill do a better job in saying play by play, not mess up names, no old story time, no 1st Round Draft Choice.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

No because first you don't disrespect your employer. Second in business negotiation you always try to leverage your own position and House is helping that with immaturity. I love House I been in his corner for a long time. I want him as a Rocket. The "establishment" isn't taking over. You are obviously to young to understand how the league has grown. In your world the owners would make nothing and the players would all be filthy rich and we the fans would be still fronting the bills. The system is working maybe not perfectly but good players get paid and so do some crappy players.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Tilman probably does that with every player and after every game too so...i really didn't see anything strange there, i think Bill was just saying that to taunt Tilman cause he wanted House back earlier lol.

snowconeman22 and topfive like this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I get the feeling Tilman doesn’t like House that much and the feeling is probably mutual. House screwed over The University of Houston when he transferred to Texas A&M, and Tilman is the Chairman of the UH board of regents and probably UH basketball’s biggest fan. Tilman screwed over House with the whole contract debacle. It’s not real hard to read between those lines. It’s funny in a way that they are both somewhat dependent upon each other at the moment, but I wouldn’t be surprised if both of them have some hard feelings towards the other.

Blake likes this.
  14. smp

smp Member

The broadcast crew wants to see the rockets win the championship. They don’t give a damn about luxury tax savings and neither should the fans. Fans should care about one thing only- winning a championship.

Some owners want to win at all costs. Some owners want to make the most money possible by maximizing the product while minimizing costs. It’s clear where Tillman falls on this issue.

I hope he comes to his senses and realizes this might be the best shot he ever has to win a ring. He needs to go all in. Yes- that means paying luxury tax so he can put the best possible supporting cast around Harden. If he’s lucky, he probably has 3 years to make it happen.

payaso, Dgn1, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

Has anyone made the joke yet that the House always wins...

Dgn1 and psaman17 like this.
  16. smp

smp Member

You never know what will happen in the future. You have to live in the moment and take advantage of the opportunities in front of you today. Look what happened to Yao and Tmac. They had one post season where they were both healthy but had scrubs around them. Then it didn’t matter what supporting cast you put out there because one or both of them was always injured.

Harden is balling RIGHT NOW. Don’t take for granted he will still be doing that in 3 years from now. I hope he is but what the hell is there to wait for? It’s probably more likely that we will be in a worse position in 1 of the next 3 years from now that we are right now. Dip under the tax at that point. Now was not the time to go cheap from a basketball point of view. Maybe he’s as cash poor as people are implying. Who knows.

BamBam, Dgn1 and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Somehow , I like both of these posts .

To me the whole House situation has been about finding a middle ground . Both sides bear some fault for not being able to work it out .

IMO , this is something the front office should have been more flexible with . I think we should have dipped into our MLE as soon as his two-way days ran out and signed him long term .

I don't know the full extent of negotiations . But I think I'm correct in saying the rockets never offered more than the minimum . The rockets never offered a 3 year deal with a player option for House .... And the rockets didn't start off with a fully guaranteed offer .

So I think they low-balled him a bit at the start given how well he'd been playing .

I also think House screwed himself out of a decent amount of money this year by not taking that offer . We will see if he can make it up.

At one point before he came back I doubted he could make the playoff rotation .... at this point I think he's playing well enough that if things hold steady he will no doubt get some good minutes .

I think one other point I wanna make *and it will sound ridiculous* is that harden played his best basketball of the season when he had House as a practice partner .

A young guy who will go after James and has the size to bother him is invaluable because James will get more comfortable dealing with bigger , more physical defenders .

Up until the last couple of weeks James hadn't had his stepback blocked all season . Now he's getting stuffed once a game .

If House enables James to become better then he's more important than solely his on-court contribution .

18. Nook

Nook Member

Worrell isn’t the problem. I love Clyde but he has the personality of a rock. Worrell and Murphy were great because they both were completely insane. You never knew what Murphy would do and Worrell never judged him for it and only encouraged him.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

From what I remember if that video continued: Tilman breaks off the convo with Capela and actually leans towards House and even reaches out to pat him on the back or something. I dont think there was a snub by House, it was just Tilman saying good game and House gave him a smile and probably said thanks while running to the locker room.

The Cat and topfive like this.
  20. varughese.arun

The house always wins Danuel....
    Be smarter with your words.