1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have the Rockets become a different defensive team post allstar, and if so what has changed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oogie boogie, Mar 14, 2019.

1. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Rockets defensive rating
    Pre all-star: 112.2 per 100.
    Post all-star: 107.2 per 100.​

So, the Rockets have allowed about 5 points less since the all-star break. They're 9-2, but it is still a small sample size and may lack context. I'll lazily try my best by providing some context, by starting with the opponents Houston has faced. Rather than posting 9 individual ratings, I'll just average the offensive ratings for the 9 teams. From what I see, the Rockets are allowing less than the average allowed.

Average pre allstar: 110.0
    League average: 109.3
    ---------------------------
    Average post allstar: 109.2
    League average: 109.8​

Another issue was defensive rebounding, and it seems like they have improved a bit. It could be because of Capela's return.
    • Pre: 69.2% (29th)

Here are some individual numbers post all star:
    [​IMG]

I know I didn't provide much information, but at least some.
    Really this is a question for those that understand the game better, understand defensive schemes, and observed the Rockets closely. Are the Rockets better defensively simply because Paul and Clint are healthy again, or are the Rockets actually executing defensive schemes better than they were previously? Does this new defense look like it can be sustained (or improvded even) for the rest of the season through the playoffs, or is this just a hot streak and Houston will go back to allowing 112 per 100? So many questions about the 2nd biggest issue the Rockets have had all season. Health (#1) and defense (#2) :( I don't want to jump the gun and say that the Rockets have turned the corner, so I'm curious on what others think.

Xerobull and Relativist like this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Increased effort

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  3. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

Did a good job executing.

4. xaos

xaos Member

More claps and high fives from the coaches

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. theimpossibles1

Big dick energy.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Healthy roster

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What's the stats without games Mello played in?

8. jowman

jowman Member

Better defensively post all star with an actual starting caliber C back. Still got a long way to go in rebounding and defense compared to last year.

Much more reliant on having an elite offense to win games. Past few games we’ve won we had guys step up and produce above average offensively. ( harden or Gordon going off)

If hardens shots not falling or if we don’t have at least one other guy step up with a great game we don’t have enough going for us to beat the top teams.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You can't even use the sample size without Capela as indicative of what this team is. On the bright side, we're back to being our 2017-2018 selves again, with Rivers, Faried, and House doing an admirable job replacing Ariza/LMM and then some. On the bad side, Harden used up all his mana during that December thru February run and now is firing blanks every time he attempts a stepback. In my opinion, unless we give him a week off to rest his legs (narrator: we won't) then we should scrap the stepback 3 for the nutbusting playoff matchups. Why not ask Harden to rest offball more often when CP is there, get him some catch-and-shoot set shot 3's to bring his %'s back up?

I can't see him winning MVP with this kind of finish to the season, which unfortunately the past four years is becoming his norm.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Defensive rebounding was great when we started Faried and Tucker. Need to go back to that. Lack of size lost us the Warriors game.

D-rock likes this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

CP3 bench unit is the answer you are looking for

12. macan

macan Member

MCW, BK, melo, chriss and anus they all gone

D-rock likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Danuel House wasn't on the team. Since he's been back the Rockets are 0-1. Coincidence?

harold bingo likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Healthy CP3 and Capela

oogie boogie and TheRealAllpro like this.
  15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This has been discussed in the Rockets Stats thread. The number flipped overnight when CP3 came back. So this happen Pre all star game.

It’s really as simple as being healthy.

oogie boogie likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member