1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mosque mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Mar 14, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

pgabriel and malakas like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

I saw that in the guns of the murderer was painted a word in my language in latin characters that means Turkeater.
    Now I don't think that in english you also use eat when you mean beat.
    So it's impossible for him to have come up with this word by himself using google translate or something let alone transliterate it from greek characters to latin alphabet.

There are also some words in serbian written on them. It's obvious he had some connections that need to be investigated thoroughly.
    Maybe he got his guns from the balkans.

3. HTM

HTM Member

Yes I suppose we just disagree.

It seems whenever there is an extremist attack inspired by Islam a lot of folks tip toe around that fact.

But when there is an extremist attack inspired by white supremacy the ideological inspiration is the central issue.

4. NewRoxFan

Interesting... trump deleted this tweet (which was the front page of breitbart web site).

5. dmoneybangbang

Us vs them is a very successful political ploy. There’s a certain demographic that had it “relatively easy” and made all the rules, and now that the world is far more competitive.... this is their reaction.

6. malakas

malakas Member

I am sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about.
    Ideas can be as dangerous as a virus and anyone who is reproducing those ideas like i.e this murderer's hate manifesto, holds the moral responsibillity.
    Just because we are currently living in the era of information where we are costantly bombarded with ideas, and we are used to it, it doesn't make it any less dangerous.
    Want me to give you some historical examples?

7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I'm not sure where you are getting your news source from, but the empirical data proves your statements to be wrong.

Hell, I was able to prove your initial response false in the 2 examples you referenced. It's ok to believe something, but when there is data to prove you either right or wrong, it's silly to argue otherwise.

8. NewRoxFan

Heck, the "us versus them" technique will be deployed later today at 3:30pm EDT

9. dmoneybangbang

Under Obama it was “takers vs producers” and “personal responsibility”....

Apparently “personal responsibility” is out of touch among a certain demographic having trouble finding their place in growing globe.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm aware. I'm also aware of the many people facing persecution that chose death over recanting their religion. You can't stop it. It's part of humanity. You'd kill hundreds of millions more trying. And, if you did stop it, we'll just continue killing each other over race, nationality, class, culture, or ideology.

Not so many, really. There were some commenters who would blame the attacks on Islam, generally. They would say that Islam is intrinsically a violent religion, and dangerous. So, others would try to split the hair and say this does not have to do with Islam in general but with radical jihadist Islamism (which would sometimes devolve into specious arguments like we see here, like so-and-so shooter must have had a mental illness, because to be attracted to radical Islamism and to shoot so many people you'd have to be mentally ill). And then, of course, the retort on the right was to conflate the whole issue and say that liberals were denying that religion had anything to do with it. Then of course the fruitless argument over whether or not Islam encouraged violence.

But, I agree with you -- this was white supremacist terrorism, and many of the earlier attacks by Muslims were radical Islamist terror attacks.

From what little we've learned of him so far, he seems to have educated himself on white nationalism around the world. I'd bet he's fairly well educated and well read (and smug about it), so he's probably adopted these ideas from around the world so he can show off his globalist (teehee!) network.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would said we do all of the above and more. But those are all migitatuon efforts. While they are necessary, how do you reduce the risk of someone turning to the dark side. That ultimate goal is hard to get to. We can say violence is never an acceptable mean, yet we use controlled voilence as a norm (war), we allow hate and divisive speech as a right (freedom of expression and speech), we are slowly accepting hate and divisive speech by our own leaders as a renewed norm (current POTUS).

Maybe we should reverse some these... let’s not legally allow divisive and hateful leader. Let’s specifically limit divisive and hate speech and expression. Let’s rid of wars.

I know, a snowball chance in hell.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure what you mean by polls not resonating. When people say they think apostasy or blasphemy should incur a death penalty in a poll, are they misunderstanding the question?

What is the POV you are associating with me that you consider to be “tribal”? Can you elaborate?

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Religion doesn't cause the violence you guys are debating, it's just a convenient cloak.

14. NewRoxFan

A number of well-made points. Also remember republicans/conservatives were very critical of Obama and Democrats for not using the works "Islam" and even "terrorism" in statements. Yet here we are, and many of the current statements avoid words like "Muslims" (when referring to the victims), "Islamophobia" and "white nationalist terrorism".

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

That isn't a white nationalism word, it's just a nationalistic slur word that has nothing to do with white supremacy and in fact unless someone is a native speaker is impossible to make up.
    I am reading now that he travelled to Bulgaria just before the killings.
    He was also listening to a serbian song during a video of his, a song praising war criminal Karadzic.
    The Serbian government just went out and said that he had nothing to do with Serbia.

It's obvious there are connections with the balkans here.
    Seems to me that instead of Trump he was more inspired with the serbian albanian wars.

16. NewRoxFan

People really use social media to say the most hateful and hate-filled things...

17. justtxyank

He was not inspired by Trump. He liked Trump's white nationalism flirtations and what that means for the rise of white nationalism in America, but he flat out said he doesn't approve of him as a leader or policy maker.

You are probably right about his connections, he likely knows a lot of that group through his internet dealings.

malakas likes this.
  18. justtxyank

Is it accurate that international white nationalists (outside of America) believe in climate change?

19. HTM

HTM Member

You have provided no "empirical data" to counter any assertion I have made.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

These are mentally ill people. Doesn't matter what their cause is.

On Trump his rhetoric towards Hispanics is shameful but he doesn't espouse white nationalism. He doesn't go around saying whites are supreme or even that America is for whites

Charlottesville was a specific incident about confederate statutes. Other than that there isnt a rash of hate crime since he has been elected

#160 pgabriel, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019