1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bogut Return?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by phantoman, Mar 3, 2019.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Honestly speaking I was going to respond 9 days ago, real life got in the way and I forgot to post a reply and when i did remember I thought better just leave it alone. But, Yesterday's game was exactly what I thought it would be for Clint and reminded me about the post and figured it was a good time to post the comment since this was a recent event now.

Clint struggles will bulkier & physical players, he gets boxed out way to easily. those comments are still the meat and potatoes, now add in a player that can pass it makes it even more glaring.

Teams with Big and physical Centers:
    Portland
    Utah
    OKC
    MIA
    BOS
    DET

And looking at the games played against those teams, he gets pushed around. He even registered his worst +/- to those teams (yes, i know +/- arent that great of a stat). Don't get me wrong I love what Capela brings but he needs some help inside and we don't have anyone to handle those centers on the block. The other side is that those centers have to deal with Capela as well with his Rim Runs but as you saw yesterday, more skilled players will get fed in the post and we won't be able to get routine stops even with JH guarding the posting up. In the era of finding the match you want, i forsee this being more of an issue come play off time when everything slows down.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IIRC Clint did perfectly fine against KAT and Gobert during the playoffs last year and no one complained about his performance then. If you desire for Clint to be stronger and bulkier to play against the bruisers of the NBA what you're end up sacrificing (his quickness in the PnR, his ability to defend beyond 15 ft) is what makes him special in the first place.

Clint is who he is and what he is fits in perfectly with the two best players on the team. If you want to look and use stats during our 11-14 start then that's your choice/right. For me, Clint's body of work last year plus the games he played after that 11-14 start is a bigger sample size not only judge his performance but also the team's performance.

Last I checked a good majority of the teams that have won championships in the past 15 years didn't need one of their star players to be a bruising big man.