1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Geltzeiler) Source: Tilman feverishly cutting costs in all Facets of Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Mar 13, 2019.

1. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

This is what he does in his businesses. He gonna do the same here. It’s SOP when you buy a business to make money. Spend where you need to. Cut where you have overspending... labor usually goes first. With the amount of corporate seats taken up in the Toyota center and individual tickets bought up by ticket brokers, he can cover.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

It's amazing how it gets stated as fact about Tillman's finances or how he ranks among NBA owners.

I bet this guy can't name 15 NBA owners let alone give me there financials.

amaru likes this.
  3. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

What are you, some kind of franchise prophet? You know from 10,000 miles above what the internal day to day happenings are. Quit fear mongering.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

He could have been thinking that the accusations were so outlandish, they didn't deserve direct refutation.

One big difference between hoopscritic's tweet and @Clutch's post is that hoopscritic is claiming "league sources" gave him the information, while Clutch talked to two different 'team sources'. Perhaps some of Fertitta's attempts to "lean up" the organization caused consternation in NYC, but people with the team thought the changes were no big deal? Otherwise, the large discrepancy is difficult to explain, as hoopscritic is usually a reliable source, as is Clutch, obviously.

I'd like some specifics about the nature of the feverish cuts. Doubt we'll hear anything more about them though.

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Let me be very clear - I am happy with our current rotation and excited that the team is in a groove right now.

This doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that several cost-cutting moves have been made. I'm not even saying that every cost-cutting move is illogical, just that we should call a spade a spade.

1. Let Ariza go in free agency - he is expensive but would be valuable for a playoff run
    2. Didn't use the MLE to get a buyout candidate or retain House long-term
    3. Traded Ennis for nothing - not crying about this, but Ennis is better than an empty roster slot
    4. Used assets to offload bad contracts (Knight, Chriss, Baldwin, Stauskus) and lower salary obligations

From these actions, it's pretty clear that getting under the luxury tax was a priority, and man did Morey excel at it.

I think it's fair to have a conversation about the opportunity cost of going this route vs. spending a lot more money to increase the talent on this roster. Doesn't make me ignorant or whiny to have a different perspective on this than you.

Der Rabbi and Gray_Jay like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I didn't say you were ignorant/whiny and lets be clear you began this with using idiot which I addressed that you needed to adjust your post tone. otherwise you would of been getting completely different responses. anyway

1. Ariza was not only expensive, he didn't even give the rockets an actual sitdown when they asked
    2. what buyout candidate was there that actually wanted to come here? all of the immediate "fits" searched out starting roles immediately. House is already back. definitely didn't need to use mle on him
    3. Ennis isn't even worth an actual discussion. hes definitely not missed in any way shape or form
    4. this has already been addressed

I still don't see your issue. You seem to just be critical that they're actually conscious about not paying LT, when it makes sense to not to with lesser players, while giving your team its best chance at a title.

And for the record a conversation is one thing. That's absolutely fine. Spitting fake tilman is cheap narratives is another. And those that constantly run with it and pollute the board, now that's just stupid to this point. The initial posts to this thread clearly illustrates who these chicken littles are. And there's a reason why the post traffic absolutely got cut in half.

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Needs to save money to pay Morey and Dantoni's new extensions

8. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

No. If he paid 2.2 billion, that is a ~5% return on investment. That is a historically lower rate of return than parking money in an index fund.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh...

That's the wrong way to look at it. That's like he paid 2.2 billion into a bond that will pay him 5% a year in income AND double in value over the next 10-15 years.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"All departments have been instructed to drastically slash their budgets"

Maybe Tilman sends out this memo every fiscal year and Morey thought it applied to his department last summer.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like Tilman pushing back. Sure i've been concerned about some of the lux tax saving moves, but i haven't seen any real evidence yet that Tilman is going to cut corners at the expense of the team.

MghtyPtrck likes this.
  12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey RocketsFido from Edmonton, tell us your story as a Rockets fan. Edmonton is in Canada, right? I notice all of your posts are mostly negative quips about the Rockets. Fan or troll?

13. HTM

HTM Member

[​IMG]

Manos likes this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

My initial post was this:
    in response to the idea that it's not time to spend. I fail to see how this is spitting a fake narrative.

You replied snidely:
    Please don't lecture me on how to post when you initially misrepresented my post, and tried to cut down my point by creating this false dichotomy - not spending at all vs. spending foolishly.

As for your responses, I'll add some commentary:

1. Ariza was not only expensive, he didn't even give the rockets an actual sitdown when they asked
    Ariza was told by Morey that we couldn't re-sign him at a reasonable #. Sounds like we didn't even really explore this option. Ariza was valued even at a $15 MM cap number, which is why Phoenix got Oubre and Rivers for him in a deal.

2. what buyout candidate was there that actually wanted to come here? all of the immediate "fits" search out starting roles immediately. House is already back. definitely didn't need to use mle on him
    We are at a real risk of losing House this summer because we didn't lock him into a longer-term deal. We had the MLE to do this but that woud've pushed us into the luxury tax this year

3. Ennis isn't even worth an actual discussion. hes definitely not missed in any way shape or form
    This was a logical cost-cutting move. But still cost-cutting.

4. this has already been addressed
    Let's both pray that Shumpert can become a viable rotation piece for our playoff run. Hasn't shown much yet but I have faith

Der Rabbi likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

man, you are awesome at picking the right photos. Harden is a legit-looking proud chef.

And MDA in the back...haha.

topfive likes this.
  16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently, some posters think the salary cap is just an imaginary line we can use to judge how cheap an owner is. :rolleyes:

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a serious concern I have. If CP3 stays healthy and the team stays happy, we are fine. If CP3 starts to degrade and Harden becomes frustrated, the team runs into an issue since everyones contracts will set to expire at the same time, including Moreys.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Im clearly aware of what you posted. and if you're going to start with calling someone an idiot, I'm definitely going to let you know. Did i call you stupid personally? I said paying LT for chriss/knight is stupid. You're welcome to make a poll on who also thinks so

none of which your additional comments helped with whatever case you're trying to make tbh

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently. somehow the logic became Tilman needs to be one of the LT paying owners, just so he can be in that category. It doesn't matter who he's paying with that LT. Or else he's cheap :confused:

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely disturbing. Rockets have a great scouting organization and if he slashes that it may hurt the team's future success