1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Considering a switch from iPhone to Android

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

wife's ifen broke last year so i got her an android. she's ok with it, but still misses her ifen. i won't let her switch.

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Android is for poor people. Stay classy...

(Triggered all of you. :D)

Sajan likes this.
  3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm an Android fan and I honestly don't like Samsung BUT the new s10 series is intriguing. It has enough gestures that I almost would overkill that camera punch out .I don't like notched and I like the punch out even more but So many nice features. Samsung still hasn't gotten in the AI lowlight bus so until they do, Pixel it is for me .I have an iPhone 8 and OnePlus 6t as a backup.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This s10+ is legit. Had it all weekend ... great phone.

Harrisment likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I've been pretty happy with Samsung but def like the Pixel and OnePlus phones, both are excellent.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Can you explain to me what you use gestures for? Remember I'm brand new to Android. Thanks.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do you enjoy working on your car or replacing your dishwasher yourself, or do you prefer to pay other people to do it? That's the difference. Android is a car that you have to fix yourself, and can soup up too. iPhone is a car that just works and you don't have to deal with. If it breaks, you take it to the Apple store or local phone place and get a new one.

I have always been a DIY person but at this point in my life, my time is more valuable than the small dopamine hit I get from monkeying around with my phone.

iconoclastic likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never had an iPhone so I cannot comment on what it's like to switch. But some of the supposed cons of Android talked of here is ridiculous. The Google Play store is not overrun with viruses (aka legit apps are easy to identify) and it's easy to use and not labor intensive (my mom uses one FFS).

I hope it works out for you because the phone is expensive. I have no loyalty to Google or Apple and just try to get the best bang for my buck. I am fully aware that these phones have zero privacy (especially now that I have Google Fi) and that tech companies have zero ethics when it comes to customer's data so I can't bring myself to cheerlead for any of them.

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Best phone case i have ever used is the Unicorn Beetle with built in screen protector on Amazon. It is by far the best case to protect from damage that i have ever used. The only complaint is the built in screen protector sometimes looks like it has an oily sheen on it while the screen is off. But God knows my phone has taken some drops without missing a beat. Got them for my sons' iphones and I've magically had stop paying for screen repairs.
    SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Pro Series Designed for Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Case (2019 Release) Full-Body Dual Layer Rugged with Holster & Kickstand Without Built-in Screen Protector (Black)

#29 Falcons Talon, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I actually tried switching to Apple as a long time Android use.

Couldn't stand Apple and came back to Android.

It all comes down to personal preference and how dumbed down you want to be lulz.

If you like to keep it "simple" stick with Apple.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would like to go from android to iphone just for the pixel quality but I can't imagine my phone snitching on me when I don't reply to a text message

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

music management? just use spotify bro

another freed sheep. congrats on your purchase. if you're still looking for a case, i always use otter boxes

13. BiGGieStuFF

I meant features. I was typing it on my phone. autocorrect. I really like the larger battery with the reversible wireless charging and one thing I liked about Samsung phones is the DEX feature that I would probably use often enough and the multi bluetooth feature to let you connect to multiple bluetooth speakers/headphones.

14. BiGGieStuFF

Samsung is getting very close to getting me to switch over. They almost had me with the Note 9. S10 might have been able to get me if it wasn't for the punchout camera. Best buy was offering 550 for my iphone 8 which is what i paid for it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so what are some of the best or hottest NON-SAMSUNG android phones out there??

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My old s8 was better looking than my wife's iphone Xs. My new S10 is another level of beautiful and the camera's, especially the front camera is at another level than an iphone.

Harrisment likes this.
  17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

lmk how those galaxy buds are

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I didn't get them unfortunately. The guy at AT&T told me they were only free if you pre-ordered the phone.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Congrats. In terms of specs, you have the most tech loaded phone that pushes the envelope.

It will be relevant for the next two-three years and possibly a lot more with modding.

Definitely need bigger awareness with privacy and apps though, but in its place you have alot more freedom. Don't want to pay extra for hotspot? Buy Pdanet without jailbreaking.

I jumped from Android to xr but got a great half off deal for it. I still use Gchat keyboard for swype. Would rather use apples if they had one out of privacy.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, the main reason I decided to take this leap is because I essentially got 2 of these phones for the price of 1. Since my wife was transferring over from tmobile, I was able to take advantage of the buy one get one deal at AT&T. They had a similar deal for iPhone, but they would only pay up to $750 on the 2nd phone. With Samsung they pay up to 1k, so the only thing I had to pay was the tax.

After spending the day installing a launcher and getting my home screen customized exactly how I want, I am loving this phone. I never realized how restrictive iOS is until I started using this new phone. I've come across a few annoying quirks, but for the most part I'm happy as of now.