1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Analysis of the James Harden step-back 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26118445/these-step-back-3s-sent-another-planet

Normally, I'd advise against giving BSPN articles any clicks, but this was a fantastic read. Seriously.

There's stats, pretty pictures, Rockets puns and a general lauding of Harden.

#mediaconspiracy

#1 Juxtaposed Jolt, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. xaos

xaos Member

It has pictures? Even I can read this!

Kevooooo and Swapshop like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

"On average, the Harden step-back creates about 6 feet of shooting space, per Second Spectrum data. "

Crazy. Harden step back finds a way to maintain his initial position while creating 6 feet of space.

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

They are few and far between, but espn still does actual non-opinion, information-based articles. This was a good one, thanks for posting.

FranchiseBlade and BaselineFade like this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I just hope espn and I didn't just jinx Harden into an 0-fer game against the Celtics later. :oops:

6. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

I just read this. So happy Harden is on my team.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Kirk Goldsberry is a good read 100% of the time. I could be wrong but I think he was one of the few Grantland guys who stayed with ESPN. Has a book coming out in April that I preordered a long time ago. Check out his twitter page if you want to see some great visualizations.

BaselineFade and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Nivos

Nivos Member

Really good article, thanks for posting.
    We need more of those articles to explain to people how crazy, unique and efficient is Harden's game.
    They all say its boring because they cant see the genuisity (Is that a word?) of it.

BamBam and BaselineFade like this.
  9. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

That shots he was hitting against Miami looked like he was getting back into his early winter rhythm...I think he can ride this straight into the playoffs.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Phenomenal read. I want to frame that spray chart of Harden unassisted 3's, and put it up in my house. It's beautiful.

TL;DR Harden travels, flops, and generally kills the game of basketball - casual NBA fans probably

Sajan likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Dave Schoenfeld does good work on the MLB side too.

and thanks for the heads-up on his twitter page, I'll check it out.

#11 Buck Turgidson, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That was a good read. Harden for the #MVP just for innovating the me-offense to a peak level this season.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The article is an EXCELLENT read. Take a moment and check it out.

Harden's step-back 3s generate 1.20 points per shot on average -- better than the Warriors' league-leading 1.15 points per shot. A hypothetical offense consisting solely of Harden step-back 3s would yield points faster than the best offense on the planet.

"What's happening in Houston is the perfect storm of innovation and creativity from the front office, coaching staff and superstar. The Rockets are showing us the future of NBA basketball."

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not a bad article but why does he have to say it could be a travel? Nothing about the play he was showing vs Durant was a travel. He never even moved his back foot.

Sajan and sirbaihu like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thought the same

Sajan likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pretty amazing chart.

And further proof that Klay Thompson is an average scorer if it weren't for more talented teammates getting him the ball after they've created space for him.

Sajan, mike2k132 and BigMaloe like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Did Klay not want to autograph something for you? Because that's quite a random dig on Klay.

It's not like he's completely stationary (see: Rockets players not named Harden) and waits to receive the ball while his more "talented teammates" draws Klay's defender towards them. Aside from Redick and Korver, Klay might be the best at running around and utilizing screens to get his points.

Does he benefit from playing with Curry and Durant? Absolutely. But to say Klay is average, is doing him a disservice imo.

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Busted. I'm a Klay hater. :D

He's above average, for sure, and a solid (though overrated) defender.

But can't create his own shot to save his life. His offense is very dependent on a system that creates open looks for him.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1. Looking at the chart...the first thing I thought was..yup Klay is overrated once he leaves the warriors. I might be wrong but it will interesting to see what happens on his next contract.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

But Clutchfans told me the Rockets are significantly better without Harden though.