1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Lil Fortnite

2. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

A combination of PJ, Gordon, and Clint would have to be traded

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't see Philly accommodating this in any fashion, even for EGo, Tucker, and picks. They're not going to say yes to our package when they could try to bring back superior players in Redick and Harris. If all of their free agents (Butler/Redick/Harris) are dead set on leaving Philly might be willing SnT Butler for depth, but what's the likelihood of that happening? Philly is going to throw around money this summer big time.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They'll sign Harris regardless. Redick will likely stick around if they want him.

I still see all this as more of a three-team thing, but Philly could do worse than EGO at the 2 and the 1. And draft picks.

Although I'm not calling this likely.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Eh... if we win it all...i say we run it back with House in the fold.

I dont want butler... he has a huge ego and bummed knees.

Dont think he will be a good fit on this team... we need a bonifide 2nd fiddle to batman.. and that Bradley Beal...would much rather chase him, then bum butler. I don't like dude, at all.

And he is from tomball.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sources have sourced.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree

Unfortunately I don't know what else we can even do .

Knight and Gordon and picks ? In an S and T ?

wait , we don't have knight

I don't see us putting together the salary in a S n T and if he's going to sign for that cheap maybe we can just offer MLE lol

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

this **** aint going to happen. please no more butler threads

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here's the thing. The Rockets obviously don't have cap room to land Butler. And a S&T looks to be unrealistic because of the hard capping.

Clearly the path would be an "opt-in" and trade, exactly how the Rockets engineered the CP3 deal with the Clippers. (Also one of the main reasons the 76ers traded for Tobias Harris was a HEDGE on Butler not working out and/or leaving.)

If @cyberx says that his sources say that Morey *feels very confident* about the potential of it happening... the ONLY WAY he would have some confidence is if through back channels Butler would be open to working with the Rockets to construct this option.

This is basically #Sleeves Part 2.

Will it happen? I don't know. But the "feels very confident" part of this is interesting.

#269 Deuce, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@cyberx is the OG insider on this board and he's proven to be legit I believe him when he says Rockets have a good shot at landing Butler

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In an opt-in and trade (ala CP3) it could be done with Gordon+Nene salary and a 1st round pick sweetener. This could be done after the draft this June and before July Free Agency.

jch1911, BigMaloe, IvanLCPM and 6 others like this.
  12. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I was thinking about this too.

Also thought, if Clint is on the table- could we do better than Jimmy? Maybe AD or someone along those lines?

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

His twolves team had chemistry issue, his 76ers team has chemistry issue, and he would ask for max contract. will this team be able to afford that kind of contract and associated risk?

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Of course Morey's very confident. If you don't think you've got a realistic chance of getting him, why bother?

That doesn't mean it'll happen, but it does mean he sees a method he can use.

15. Nook

Nook Member

There are a lot of hurdles in general.

First, we have to assume that Butler wants to join the Rockets.

Second it requires Butler being willing to opt in like CP3. I don't even know if Butler's agent would take that risk, even with assurances.

Third it requires the Sixers being willing to deal him to the Rockets AND the teams coming to an agreement.

Fourth, it requires TF being willing to pay a lot (although I was told months ago he would for someone like Butler)

I wonder what level of compensation it would require. I would think that it may require multiple picks.

16. apatel123

apatel123 Member

ah its the return of Cyberx, the sourcerer

IvanLCPM likes this.
  17. Cranberry_Juice

That's how I roll in nba 2k. Pick him up when his rating goes below 85.

clutchdabear and ramotadab like this.
  18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I do think the fit here with butler is better than philly.

Minnesota worked but he just didn’t like the players but the fit was perfect imo.

Here he would get a ton of time with cp3 and no harden on the court. Cp3 is a smart player he’ll let jimmy initiate offense just like they let EG and even Rivers from time to time. I just think it would be more often then those guys get.

He’s a great fit here tbh but I don’t know how we get him here unless he opts in.

One thing we have going for us is the cp3 deal. We have proof that if he opts in and comes here we will give him his max the next summer.

Cp3
    Harden
    Butler
    Tucker
    Clint

That’s a really good starting 5 and should easily be top 5 on both ends of the court.

I’m worried about bench depth tho we would be really short on players unless rivers and faried take the minimum or split the MLE and I’m not sure I see that happening.

If this is true it makes a lot more sense as to why Morey did what he did to get under the cap.

Could do a trade for butler and still have the full MLE to Sign depth.

Basically the exact same situation as cp3 trade and then signing tucker.

I do want butler if we can’t get PG13 which is obviously not happening so jimmy B is the next best thing.

He’d get his 20/5/5 here with elite d and we would be winning with friends of his in harden and tucker.

Morey and harden must have some inside info on this.

Deuce, IvanLCPM and lilbird20 like this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Jimmy doesn't mind following someone as long he thinks that someone deserves respect. In other words, proven to put in the work and getting the results. He was mad in Minnesota when Kat and Wiggins got max/super max contracts when he thought he was the best player on the team and the leader. With Houston, there will be no question about pecking order. It's Harden occupying the 1, 2, 3 slot; point-God, and then Jimmy.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Cyberx corrected himself and said that Morey “feels fairly confident “