1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hawks @ Rockets 2/25/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am trying to be positive about the Jones signing and pumping up the idea for fun.
    I mean come on Don, you didn't really think I was rooting for a Jones signing over say an Anthony Davis type did you? You didn't hear me starting threads over how bad I wanted us to sign him did you?

Don, I have never said I hate Harden or f*** Harden so drop that nonsense already. I'm tired of telling you that and tired of telling you I don't hate our players and never will. If I don't like a couple things about anyone that doesn't equal hate. Don't put lies out about me any more. You are really one mean man to just keep on and on with your condescending remarks and lies towards me. Enough already. I am asking you to stop please.

#921 deb4rockets, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    smp, hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  2. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL. I hear ya. Its a shame he gets treated so differently than so many other NBA players though. I've always hated how so many of the favorite stars can't be touched yet other players can't get a call to save their life. I'm sure Gordon just gets so frustrated. I mean, if he had Curry on his jersey he would be at that free throw line all the time. He can get hammered going in for a layup over and over as the refs tuck their whistles away for someone else. Then, he does something far less and they blow the whistle. I used to laugh about his arm flailng, but I am tired of the no calls already.

#922 deb4rockets, Feb 26, 2019
    saleem likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So people who thought "the streak" was starting to get in the way of team continuity are now haters? Cmon now we all have to deal with massive amounts of **** on other outlets as Harden/Rocket fans not here too. The streak was great, but it should never come at the expense of team ball.

Guys are getting healthy no need for James to carry the whole load. Get the playoff rotation clicking for the playoffs .WINNING STREAK should be what all of us are looking forward to.

PS: you stat thirsty guys can still hand onto the 28ppg streak now so there is that.

10+ game winning streak or 5-5 with James extending the streak? Who's the real fan in that scenario?

Go ROX!!!

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

he just slams into people its not a foul if he didn't beat them to a position. plus throwing up his tantrum every play doesnt help him to build reputation among the refs

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Maybe. It would have to play out this way. The Rockets must at minimum go 3-2 over this upcoming tough 5-game stretch. Win both home games(Miami, Philly) and beat either Charlotte or Boston on the road(Toronto seems unlikely as the Rockets ALWAYS struggle to win there).

Then basically lose no more than 2 games the rest of the way(a 13-2 finish). Seems like a tall order, but honestly they should be favored in every remaining game aside from 3/13 at home against the Warriors, at Milwaukee on 3/26, and at OKC in the final game of the regular season.

As for that OKC game, it's a must win. They need it to even the season series 2-2 and then it comes down to the conference tiebreaker which the Rockets should be able to secure. After that, hope the Thunder lose 8 more games the rest of the way which is possible given their remaining schedule. Although I am worried they may win their final regular season game at Milwaukee if the Bucks have the #1 record clinched and have nothing to play for. We'll have to wait and see.

Sajan, ramotadab and deb4rockets like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Faried's energy and Chris Paul's brilliance stood out to me. The chemistry between Paul and Eric was encouraging. Harden is tired, it's no joke to come back after a neck strain and flu symptoms. His shot will return to form. I was happy to see him hitting floaters. He didn't whine about going to the bench. I think he will realize that he doesn't have to do everything. Good to see Shumpert out there too. Capela needs to show urgency on defense, and rim protection. He showed improvement on offense before getting hurt, but he needs to talk and practice with the Dream to establish himself defensively every night.

B-Bob, hakeem94, ramotadab and 3 others like this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

If love best to face the Warriors first round, but don't want to teeter near the 7th or 8th seed. This Division is too tight. So, 3rd seed would be my preference as well

saleem and bj3175 like this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

GOOD WIN!

It's a good win because Harden shot 0-10 in threes and we won. Atlanta played a good game and shot better than the Rockets and we still won. That Trae Young guy was tossing in circus shots from all over the court and we still won.

This could have easily been a loss, especially with Harden struggling like he did. But, the Rockets did enough right to pull out the win. This is what a good team can do. Even when their star player is struggling, good teams can find a way to win.

GOOD WIN!

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Atlanta played really hard. Despite Harden's bad shooting night, I thought he made some big buckets in the 4th. Decent game from pretty much everyone. Another good game for CP3, very encouraging.

This is the type of game the Rockets would lose almost automatically even like a week ago. Progress maybe? We'll see..

buffalobills!!!, ramotadab and saleem like this.
  10. Chamillionaire

I'd rather have Luka or Trae Young over Ayton. I think both of them will have better careers than Ayton.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beard hurt that arm/shoulder....Then, the neck.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yes, and I hate seeing him not getting fully healed now, vice making a bad situation worse prior to playoffs. Rest does a body good. Rest will help him heal and be back to his best when we need him most.

snowconeman22 and Plowman like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Glad the Rockets won. Atlanta can be tough. The Big Lineup was interesting, but clearly needs some practice work with Harden.

Sad the streak is over. I quite enjoyed it. And I NEVER thought it got in the way of winning. It was very organic.

The Rockets are 6-7 this season when Harden plays and doesn't score 30 (26-16 when he scores 30).

Harden's scoring at a high rate is still important to this team. Hope his 3pt shot comes back.

ramotadab and jordnnnn like this.
  14. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Last night was the first game I've gone to all year. Pretty cool to be there for such a historic game. I'll be telling me grandchildren about the time I saw Harden score LESS THAN 30 points! #Historical Night #ThanksHiren

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. Clutchfans again confuses me with some stuff. Where did this idea that this streak was costing us games come from? It literally hasn’t been true this entire year when it comes to his high scoring. And the only time he’s consistently put up more shots than normal has been with key pieces out.

Zergling and ramotadab like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

curious how many of those games had all of cp3/capela/eg playing. I'd say less than 5 as a complete guess atm.

#936 YOLO, Feb 26, 2019
    s3ts, Zergling and ramotadab like this.
  17. Zergling

Zergling Member

This is exactly right. It's hard to tell obviously what the difference was here as far as why we won this game and not the others, but that's how important preventing offensive rebounds is. That alone can flip a game script. Hawks are a top 10 offensive rebounding team and yet we (the worst defensive rebounding team in the league) held them below their average. Clearly the starting lineup change has something to do with it

DaDakota likes this.
  18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Either the beard been hurt or he need glasses.

Get well soon. LeBron roughed him up a lil. Maybe?

19. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

It's not going to get any easier in the postseason. The Hawks stand 6th in OREB%, at 24.9%. We still surrendered an atrocious 28.6% OREB% to them, the difference? We managed a 27.9 OREB% compared to our season average at 23.8%. However, the Hawks are the 8th worst defensive rebounding team in the NBA, at 76.2% (we sit at 74.4%, 3rd worst).

Our likely first round matchup, the Portland Trail Blazers are 3rd in offensive rebounding at 25.6%, and 8th in defensive rebounding ay 78.0%, numbers only bolstered by the addition of Kanter (who would get run off the floor). Nurkic provides a problem for Clint on the boards, and while he's not the best P&R defender, the Blazers have done well in hiding him away from guards on the switch, we have to capitalize on the openings these excess rotations provide.

If we climb up to the 3rd seed, we either face the Thunder (#2 OREB%) or the Nuggets (#1 OREB%). We've yet to lose with Capela against Jokic so I'm not worried about them, he'd still get run off the floor. Adams is far more athletic, way bigger, and his height still gives him the standing reach advantage despite Clint's wingspan. While I expect Capela to run into trouble (but not enough to where we bench him, see the game where we blew a 24 point lead and lost the rebounding battle by 18 against OKC see why). I think we pull it out, and I doubt PG keeps shooting 50% from 3 into the postseason, but I don't see any staring player on OKC that screams "defensive liability". We have more talent in total, but that series could go very wrong, very fast.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd ask the same of you. In the past you were positive and upbeat about the whole team. This year something changed. If it's something personal in your life, I'm very sorry about that. But if you let the Houston haters into your mind, push those fools out.

This years team is going to be awesome in the playoffs if we're healthy.

hakeem94 likes this.