1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End the streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 13, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not he same offense as last year. Now Harden takes twice as many shots as Paul and 3 times as many as most.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It is in this case. Harden's TS% vs the team and Harden wins that. Only Nene, Cap, Faried, and Green have higher percentages. Who do you think is getting them those open shots?

Harden is amazing, can handle a load and is the best option on the team. There's no area of the court you can take away one-on-one for him so you give him the ball. I'm sorry you find that boring, but this is good team basketball. He's doing what's best for the team.. it just happens to be on-ball play. So you really just have an issue that Harden is the best option. Be careful not to become one of the Harden haters out there... remember he's doing this for your city and your team.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Thats all true but what about the other 34 games. You do realize he had some huge shot games with not so great percentages don't you?

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't ever hate on players Don, and don't hate James. I get very frustrated though when some guys actually are shooting well and he just takes over. I do get frustrated when the inside game is working yet it becomes the ISO and 3 show. It was fun for awhile but I got tired of it, especially when Green and Paul got half the shots but were shooting so well lately. Sometimes those slight adjustments can actually lose games, when lower percentage shots are taken more. It's also getting too close to playoffs to not be working more gelling as a team . Our ball movement can be amazing, and so fun to watch. Right now it seems like 70% of the ball movement is up and down from James to the floor as he plays the ISO game with whoever dares to challenge him. Tick tock tick tock tick tick tock tick tock tick tock, step back 3. It's just getting old now.

I miss the high intensity faster paced game, ball movement, drives inside, fast breaks, rebounding effort from all, and give it everything you've got defense. I miss having that team chemistry and spirit that you need to win Championships. We had that last year until Ryno quit. That one man made a big difference. Then, when Paul had his usual injury issue it was the final straw that broke the Camel's back. Right now we stand no chance without Clint. I honestly can't wait for him to return. I love the alley oops James is brilliant at getting to him. Then, if our coach will start working on team chemistry and actually coaching we might have a chance. His small ball lineups aren't the answer. I hate them. I just want us to do our best, as a team. That's all I can ask of anyone. Go Rockets!

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We were never a fast paced team, the ball movement works when people are hitting shots (they're not), fast breaks are usually a result of lazy defense, but I agree with rebounding and defense. The effort isn't there and I blame that for recent losses. That being said, neither has anything to do with offense directly. If it's an issue with indirect results, I'll get onboard with you, but for now I believe James is doing what's best for the team with his current offense.

I just can't see how a guy with such an insanely high TS% at volume hurts the team at this juncture. Once Clint gets back, he's the best option in basketball, but for now.. Harden is.

.. also 7.7 assists per game isn't exactly ball hogging.

6. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

after 32 streak, I hope cp3 can play the ball dominant and rather than let harden 1 on 1. He misses a lot of 3s which makes Houston lose the match. Our defence sucks

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

start a winning streak instead

bloodwings19 and DaDakota like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's just that easy!!!! all the other players will show out when Harden scores less than 30..just wait for it!!! wait longer...wait....waittttttttt.....

If ya'll think Harden is any part of why this team isn't winning you have a screw loose. This team is deeply deficient, and that's not on the defending and arguably current MVP.

9. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Let Harden get 30+ in the next game so he stands alone at No 2 all time 30+ in consecutive. It also gives Clint time to get his game legs back.
    Then end the streak and concentrate on team ball and trying to win a chip.

10. MystikArkitect

It’s a distraction and I’m sure the players are tired of it. We’re no better than Russ MVP season at this point. A middling 6 seed chasing individual accolades to define our season.

I’d be happier seeing a decent defensive effort for the entirety of a game right now.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The inability for the Rockets to close 1/4s 1/2s and 48’s has become quite bothersome to say the least. I just hope these bad habits haven’t taken root.

#111 Roc Paint, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you and others with similar take is missing the point. You think that hating on a one-man-show offense is hating on Harden or believing that Harden is not our best option. Some other posters while correctly point out that our bigger problem is defense and rebounding, they also miss the point of the discussion about our offense. This is a false dichotomy.

1. Having defensive problems does not mean that we do not have offensive problems.
    2. This is not about Harden. It's about the team. A one-man-offense is very unlikely to win it all.
    3. This is not about style. This is about winning. Harden's performance might have carried us. But is it sustainable? Is it workable in the playoffs?
    4. When we get Capela back, it might go back to the "normal." But don't forget that we had Capela in the early part of the season and we sucked.
    5. Harden has been quite durable. But to ignore the risk of running him to the ground is shortsighted in my opinion. This is especially true if you combine it with CP3's worrisome health.

13. Socrates

Socrates Member

I find the streak to be very entertaining. It's the only reason I even watch the Rockets anymore. I loved watching Kobe and Westbrook do their thing, and I enjoy watching Harden do the same.

But as long as Harden is the man on this team, we aren't going anywhere. This dude is just not a winner. His stats mean too much to him.

Remember all those times at the end of games when we'd try to inbound the ball to him with the game on the line? He would just push off on his man and get the offensive foul.

Contrast that to a few days ago when he needed one more bucket to continue his streak. His man tried to deny him the ball, and he ran around frantically to get the ball so he could preserve his streak.

I think that's very telling what he values most.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The streak is dead!

Incredible statistical feat, but happy to see it over with. Will be interesting to see if Harden’s shot selection changes after this game.

15. Pete the Cheat

Yes! Death to the streak! Death to the league!

16. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Ok, ok, ok, someone has to put limits on this bad joke. The selection of shots and the ridiculous way in which Harden insisted with the three-point shots is a sign of absolute immaturity.
    Forgetting this for the simple fact that the Rockets won the game is a terrible mistake. TERRIBLE!
    Harden has to understand that he is the leader of this team and must think about the collective success.
    Harden shows again that he is a great player, but absolutely immature.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

At least he had he sense not to attempt to score on that last possession. The Hawks broadcast crew gave him some credit for that.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Beginning of the win streak

durvasa likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont mind him taking a lot of shots.

I mind him taking a lot of stupid shots.

His floater is deadly yet he insists on jacking up 10 challenged 3 pointers a game.

[​IMG]

20. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Domonique Wilkins kept poping out that he needs to move the ball when he his doubled at the top and not shoot over two guys