1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Feb 16, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Last year Gordon was 18 ppg on 43/36/81 shooting.

Since his return from injury this year(last 13) he’s 17.3 on 42/36/81 shooting.

He may have turned things around.

HorryForThree, Bo6, vlaurelio and 7 others like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

EG at his worst is still better than Ryan Scrubberson thats why the Scrub got run out of town.

EG's stats this year:
    16.2 pts 3 rebs 2 assists 32% from 3

When's the last time Scrubberson scored 16 pts in a Rox jersey? Oh yeah that's right, never.

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Really you trying to make Gordon the scape goat?

He throws up random shots at time because he’s the only player that makes sure he gets his shots up. He will ignore Harden.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think maybe your opinion of Anderson is too harsh. This is the kind of post, the guy wasn't that bad but CF nailed him to a cross every time he missed a shot. Just pointing out that those stats you posted aren't even close to what we need from Gordon, but you're here to beat the dead horse? Like, how far does Gordon need to fall off before it's ok to say GORDON HAS FALLEN TF OFF

Because he has.

We just don't have any nails left or what? Anderson deserved the ribbing he got when he fell off and was gun-shy, I'm not saying he didn't. But Gordon doesn't because he's not shy about clanking 10 shots in a row? Or because he averages like 3 points more on quite a few more attempts? It's weird. It's really weird.

It's not a secret y'all. I'm not blaming Gordon for the whole season, quit trying to inject commentary into my take that I didn't put out there. I'm saying Gordon is playing like crap and he has to play better if this team wants to make a push for anything. He has to play better. It's not in question. It's just not being spoken on here, like it isn't the truth or something. Get over it, Eric Gordon has to play better basketball.

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Constantly being mentioned in trade rumors and offers may be getting to him? I don't know how he's felt about playing in Houston, but if this is where we wants to be and with this group then being a trade chip year after year and sometimes several times in a season has got to hinder motivation (remember Francis after Cuttino left?). This, of course, shouldn't be an excuse. NBA is a business and all players (not named Lebron James) should know that (just ask DeRozan), and Rockets' front office is probably, for better or worse, one of the fiercest, if not the most. We openly talk about always improving and adding the right pieces.

6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

NBA definitely a business though and the Rockets have never shied away from trade talks. So...On that note, being talked about can't affect you like that unless he really thinks he's on James' or CP3's level. That's delusional so I'll give him benefit of the doubt... but being talked about like... "me and 4 1sts for Butler and they STILL don't make a trade? Damn I suck." might be it.

roslolian and Riz like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

He hasn't fallen off that much I dunno what your are looking at he scored 18 pts last year he scored 16 pts this year. His efficiency has gone down by a whopping 3% from last year and thats taking into account he was playing like crap at the start of the season. Given that EG was a really good deal last year him falling off still means he is still a productive player on the court. Saying he clanks 10 shots in a row is an over exaggeration he is shooting 32% from 3 not ideal but not exactly horrible either because he shoots a lot of shots so at least you have quantity if not quality. I'd take that over Scrubberson's "blistering" 42% 3 pts on just 5 shots total lol.

The reality is EG is only making 14M in the old salary cap terms thats like around 9M. His current performance is still in the acceptable range for his salary unlike Scrubberson who mas making 18-22M during the length of his deal.

You are right maybe I am too harsh on Scrubberson but thats because I had really high hopes for him he scored 18 pts on pretty much the same efficiency during his last year in NO playing in a half court setting I dunno how he went down to 12 pts when he went to a faster paced MDA offense with James frickin' Harden I was expecting a 4 pt increase not a 4 pt drop. Efficiency only matters if you have volume to back it up you take just 1 shot a game it doesn't matter if you shoot 100% your entire career.

#67 roslolian, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

All the stats and performance breakdowns aside, I just need this guy to stop throwing his hands up after every single missed layup/foul call. It's distracting, and pisses me off more than it should.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Is he done with his stank faces?

10. beard4life

beard4life Member

I like EG, I’m glad he’s on this team. He’s solid on defense and when he’s hitting threes It gives us a good chance to win.

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. That painful look on his face like a guy who really has to use #2 so bad he wants to cry that goes along with the thrown up arms is just as predictable. If they ever make a statue of Gordon, that look and the thrown up arms would picture him best.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. He is one of the few who will actually take shots or drive it into the paint. We need Paul and everyone else to be as aggressive as Gordon .

My problem with him is putting him in the starting rotation and going small ball with 3 guards. I hate that lineup with a passion. I'm beginning to think we will never have a SF and PF together in our starting lineup again. I hate it hate it hate it. I do not agree with our coach that this is best for our team . Use Gordon and Rivers to give Harden and Paul rest, but fill the big man role with a big man!!!!!!

13. hakeemthagreat

EG's not having a good season at all. But comparing him Anderson is night & day. Gordon's not playing well but still fighting. Anderson didn't play well and essentially quit on himself

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Last year anderson was paid 20m 3rd highest so expections were high and he underachieved big time considering not only his shots werent falling but he was unwilling to ahoot even if they were good and needed shots and he cant drive and cant defend

This year ego is 4th highest paid behind cp3 and capela. Even if his shots arent falling he still takes the good and needed shots. And he ferociously and effectively drives and defends.

Apples to oranges

This year we can even debate as bad as ego looks, his value / contract may be better than cp3s.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The difference between Gordon and Anderson is that Gordon isn't such a liability on defense (although you could argue that every player on the Rockets has been a liability on defense this year) and that he isn't scared to shoot despite him not shooting well. He still contributes offensively, just inefficiently. Anderson was an absolute zero, if not negative, on both ends.

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Anderson wasn’t a zero. This needs to stop. If he didn’t live up to the contract, fine...the guy was a contributor and among other players they didn’t replace, a real stretch 4 on this team would be wonderful right about now. Anyway....

Maybe I shouldn’t have envoked Anderson’s name. That really isn’t my point, to compare them. It’s really more like, Gordon isn’t playing well and CF is giving him a pass.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Gordon is certainly willing to take some of the load, I’ll give him that.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't a zero throughout most of the 2017 and the first few months of the 2018 season, but at some point he went from solid rotational caliber guy to absolute zero if not total negative. Did you watch the second half of last year? What has he been doing this year?

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

he has been a huge disappointment. I think it's due to not being fully healthy. We were lucky that EG played his first two seasons in Houston injury free, but sooner or later, the bill comes due. Compounding the problem is that we have another injury prone guard signed long-term for big money on the downside of his career. That's like $50 mil in salary on two players we haven't been able to depend on this year. yuck.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  20. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

To be fair he does get clobbered a lot on his drives and many times bigs blocks his layups often after he bounces it off the board. I think all the non calls in his career and lack of respect from refs have gotten to him, and he has ran out of ideas. True though, watching his whiny play gets annoying. He needs a couple of years of not being too demonstrative to restart how refs and fans view his oncourt behavior.

deb4rockets likes this.