1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House is playing a dangerous game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I would be saying that, again, this is almost same situation Bev was in. Someone who was cut by teams and trying to make the league...worked is way up to starting spot...offered a contract...Bev proved his worth in the playoffs like House could have.

I'm not saying House was wrong but he took a huge risk here with his career, that much is very clear. If Shumpert plays well House missed out on this chance here.

He's not some first round draft pick that's going to get chance after chance to show his potential, he's a guy that had to fight to make a team

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I guess he could, but I don't understand how that helps us since:

1) We could use him right now. We're in 5th place and have to climb. We have 12 guys. Right now, in a blowout we have to play key guys.
    2) If we convert him now, he's restricted in the summer and we can just match whatever he gets in open market. If they're so sure he's going to get a poor offer or no offer at all, why is this scenario so scary to them?

Then again, it would limit us from signing another person to the minimum without going over the tax line. So it makes some sense that they're looking at House as the late season addition since he is the one guy who could make a contribution even if he joined late.

3. LilUziSquirt

LilUziSquirt Member

Guys who have bounced around the league for 5 years like House are lucky to ever even get the opportunity at the amount of minutes House got. The amount of guaranteed money we offered him is just icing on the cake. There are no guarantees he'll ever play that well again or even get an opportunity to try. His agent messed up big time.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I guess we just agree to disagree. Bev did what was best for his options. I bet if you ask Bev today, he might not repeat that choice again, given he probably believes to this day he was underappreciated and underpaid. That's just speculation on my part.

House has played well enough to earn a minimum for the rest of the season and restricted in the summer. But in reality, in a "business is business" world, what you earn doesn't matter. What you can do matters. That's why the Rockets might threaten what's being suggested in this thread. Frankly, I don't believe you would be happy in House's place.

He fought and didn't make the best team in the NBA, and the coach spoke highly of him. Then he fought and made a team. Then he got into the rotation. Then he started. All highly successful by any metric. Then he didn't lose his spot, his play never degraded, and he got forcefully benched. Put yourself in the shoes of another team's GM who needs a backup wing for cheap - like $2m cheap. He's an excellent risk to take.

ilias likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No disrespect dude but I'm having to repeat the same text to like 5 people in this thread, I addressed this in multiple posts and the one just before this one.

Summary: IMO he will be fine and I would bet on doing better than the worst myself.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I guess what I don't understand is that if you love playing ball and you finally get the chance to not only play, but start on your home town team, that has a system and players that enhance your game, why you wouldn't just sign back then and see what could happen. Hell, you might have become a 15pts/6reb avg guy and set yourself up.

Now you're in limbo between the big stage and the minor league, you've lost your starting spot and you may never even get a roster spot back. This is just a dumb decision and his agent should be fired.

We've all made some bad decisions in our lives, but I think House will look back on the opportunity that he squandered this season as maybe the worst in his life. Even if he signs now, he's going to have to scratch and claw his way back for minutes with Shump in and Gordon healthy.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Draft pedigree matters. Sample size matters. No GM, not even the hugely incompetent or borderline insane ones, will offer the undrafted House a contract for $2M based on a sample size of less than 50 games especially when over half of those games came in a system that inflates a wing's numbers.

8. 1234567

1234567 Member

Bet on the house in Baccarat.

And lost.

If it goes as rumored he will not be converted until last day of season to make him playoff eligible.

Or no one signs with Rockets as buyout and he gets offered min on 2/21.

Rockets didn't all that to get under luxury tax.

Bank that.

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Morey is going to wait till the last min
    unless Capela is for sure not getting his bonuses

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Life" did not put House anywhere. House put himself in the hands of a team willing to give him a job.
    House didn't bet on himself. He bet on the Rockets' behavior (and the behavior of the rest of the NBA, I guess).

DavidRocket likes this.
  11. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is entitled to whatever is fair for him. Don't blame him for holding out.

But, he was cut twice in the league and finally found a place here at his hometown thanks to Harden and Coach. If I were him, this is a good situation and I need to prove myself for a least one season and playoff before monetizing.

hongxingli and MiddleMan like this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It’s just not smart to put the cart before the horse. Showcase first, get paid later.

YallMean likes this.
  13. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is so wide open here. Most of his buckets here were due to Harden sucking defense so much. He is a poor defender, very poor. I don't remember for once he stopped anyone. He is at best a Von Waffer, who is playing in China. Having or not having him in my mind probably wouldn't make that much of difference in the playoffs anyways. He is not going to see too many minutes because of his D. I just wish he were smart enough for his own good. I kinda like his cockiness on the court.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The 'line' is so close and so (apparently) drawn in the sand, so bully ... for House and Rox to find a way to win-win. Saving some of the MLE and use it when the cap is safe might do it? (I need the attorney who is doing the accounting; I'm swimming in red ink at this point on this point.)

15. OmenXYZ

OmenXYZ Member

I went to watch him play in Sioux Falls a couple weeks ago. Was a little disappointed to see him not playing. Also had a good laugh with him double fisting hotdogs walking to the locker room right before the game

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

On offense, Harden does make the game easier for people, but you still have to hit the damn shots, which House showed an ability to do. Even showed some ability to penetrate and finish inside (lol).

Defensively, House is an asset and fits well in our switching scheme. I could not disagree with you more.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

He can be switched to a non-threat, that's what he is good at. Occasionally, he will give you a block here and there. But I just don't see how he will play ahead of Gordon, Iman, Rivers. At best, he is going to see between 0-5 minutes in the playoffs. That's how coach plays these guys.

18. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Nice.

harold bingo and joshuaao like this.
  19. macan

macan Member

this.
    Harden and CP make average joe looking better than they really are

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Paul/Rivers
    Harden/Gordon
    Shumpert/Green(?)
    Tucker/???
    Capela/Faried

There's space in our forward rotation. Green is great when he's hitting his shots, but when he is not, he is too inconsistent defensively to play meaningful minutes.