1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Very disappointed in our "salary dump" trade deadline.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slam Dunk, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

All of these moves make sense. That isn't the issue. Acting like the assets just evaporated into thin air is the problem. Morey made the ryan anderson mistake and had to pay to resolve that contract. That is where they lost most of their assets.

Then they gave more assets and a ton of money for a 34 year old point guard. If your added star is injured all the time, why pay him what you did? Even if healthy they r underdogs to the Warriors but have a punchers chance to beat them. But Paul has shown time and time again that he is injury prone, and that soft tissue injuries dont magically get better when you are 34 or older.

So no, it is not the moves today that upsets me. It is the poor choices made in the direction of the roster that have me bothered. They never really use their draft picks to develop young talent but when they do it often works out pretty well, see parsons, capela, Harrell, marcus morris, etc. Those are their good depth pieces that either left via trade or free agency. Now they are looking to get under the tax so they can extend their window, but with what? You have an aging injured point guard taking up $40 million a year, one mvp level player, a guy that can rebound and dunk, and that takes up a majority of your cap. Gordon is a free agent soon and is often injured anyway. So how are you to replenish or even improve on your depth moving forward if you are capped out and have little to no assets moving forward?

I think people need to wake up to the fact that this team dug its own grave with the anderson and cp3 moves. It is ok to criticize your team and still like them. I love the Rockets, always have. But I wont sit and pretend that they are in some magical favorable position because in reality they are far from it. The faster they realize this, the faster they will be able to fix their issues.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Anderson deal basically cost them a 2018 2nd and a late 2019 1st. That's not nothing, but not a huge deal in the grand scheme.

As far as CP, I disagree with your conclusion but I respect your opinion. Because there's no doubt that is when Houston lost its assets and any chance at cap flexibility moving forward. Personally, he was so brilliant in Year 1 of his Rockets' postseason career -- knocking out Utah in Round 2, then helping you get 3 wins vs. Durant's GSW where no one else has even gotten 1 -- that I'm unwilling to draw any major conclusions before Year 2 (in the postseason) even begins.

I think you were close enough last year that it was worth the gamble, especially since we haven't even seen what the upcoming run has in store. But if you don't, while I don't agree with you, that's a much more valid critique for the current situation than the "OMGZ TILMAN IS CHEAP!" or whatever that some seem to be adopting.

3. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You homers are defending a win-now team getting scraps to save money rather than chasing valuable Playoff-caliber players. lmao No one should give an iota of sh*t about the luxury tax besides the owner. Is your team able to go up against the top teams is what you should be asking yourself.

4. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Chris Paul can't play the 2nd option anymore. Morey and D'Antoni also stupidly don't believe in developing players like House or Clark. Harden isn't winning crap if he doesn't have a viable 2nd offensive option (and I don't mean someone like Capela who's dependent on Harden's passes).

5. Malaya

Malaya Member

Y'all are very generous when you're not signing the paychecks. Stop criticizing the owner.

The guys we lost won't make or break our playoff chances. We certainly have a better roster compared to beginning of the season.

Still hoping we get someone through buyout or we get House to return.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is our championship year

Trust and Believe

Rocket River

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Could be but we need health.

DD

Dgn1 and SemisolidSnake like this.
  8. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Why would be go over the tax? This team isn't winning a title.

9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Not really true.. but i agree.....kinda.... i actually think we have a chance.

10. Raven

Raven Member

That's not how it works.

Dgn1, Gray_Jay and jerryclark like this.
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I have not heard any champion team which is not over tax in recent seasons.

We stand no chance to win title this season, if we have 40m-dollar CP3 and not paying any tax.

RichieBanks likes this.
  12. dawesome

dawesome Member

I'm very sure any decision by DM and owner had been discussed with Harden. And he's okay with it.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In order to trade for someone you need to have assets to offer

Tell me who Morey was suppose to get ? And who we trade ?

Thanks

whiskeyred likes this.
  15. Entropy

Entropy Member

A Rockets Vs 76ers/Celtics finals isn't enough of a slamdunk for Adam Silver and his crooks. He's going to guarantee that the Warriors come out of the West if they can't do it themselves. I believe in the Rockets, but they can't win 5 v 8.

Gray_Jay and Rocket River like this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

last year was the year. its highly unlikely we get that close this year. i hope im wrong, but man, its looking like we will finish about 4 seed, GS in round 2. they have so much more length than we do its ridiculous....even if we somehow managed to beat them, we would still only be half way there with plenty of tough possible matchups remaining. does anyone expect cp3 hamstring to hold up through 4 playoff series ? other top teams have so much more talent than we do, if we lose just one key player we are screwed. the lack of stars on this team means james is basically going to have to continue to perform the way he is now. he will legit have to average mid 30s and that isn't fair to him because other teams best players won't.

Rocket River and pippendagimp like this.
  17. farhen

farhen Member

trade deadline after = buyout sales

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The anderson handicaped us harder than just picks. We couldnt do any nice signing bc that massive contact was **** blocking us from improving the roster.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

what owners out there are not cheapskates? let's hope they don't hijack moarley.

i think he would do well in el aye.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The refs are the only thing that can stop us.

It is not fair but entirely possible

I think we have hungry players

Rocket River