1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are talking with the Grizzlies about a deal that includes Knight and a pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Totally false, that is not the sole reason, and the defense was horrible before he was injured. We are 40+ games into the season, the only new pieces are Rivers and Faried and they are both playing better defense than you can ever expect of them. We had 5-6 exceptional games in a row, the rest of the season we have been the worst with or without Capela. This is just another case of something you want vs something we need.

The reason we were still in the game 21 misses into that 27-attempt streak of misses was our defense (in reality, we didn't miss 27 in a row btw, that's a myth). If we don't DRAMATICALLY fix this defense, we won't even have the honor of missing 27 in a row before the game is even over. Adding an extra dimension to the offense is a far lower priority than dramatically improving our defense. For some reason you don't see it being a problem, but there is no evidence supporting it. The same unit that played during that good streak failed to continue/repeat it. It was just a streak. You can't take 2 weeks out of half a season and say everything is fine.

Also, this team will have injuries. We have injury prone, old players. There is no chance we get Jaylen Brown. Morris, Johnson and Carroll are good additions and at the same time non of those guys would be creating better shots than Gordon for us.

Defense on the wing is #1 priority. Rebounding is #2. Glad Morey has said as much.

#161 Mathloom, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    MrSabotage, foggy94, lionaire and 2 others like this.
  2. jboslett

jboslett Member

I don’t think Morey’s panicking but he fully realizes this roster isn’t doing anything as currently constructed. I’d be surprised if a drastic measure or two isn’t taken by the deadline.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't feel like this years team is special either …. If they get past the second round , it'll be a major accomplishment.

4. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Rockets didnt win the championship last season.

SWTsig likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is not to save Tilman money, is for Morey to fix his big ass mistakes. Stop passing Gm failure on to Tilman.

BallSoHarden and amaru like this.
  7. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Not was I was trying to infer. Just trying to spread some positivity. We are witnessing greatness with Harden. Rockets fans should be excited!

Smacktle, Hakeemtheking and RudyTBag like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t be that guy...

Smacktle and hakeem94 like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've been around long enough (*way longer) to remember that team …. this years team is not in their league as currently constructed.

Now if Murry can turn Knight into a quality 4 …. and get House back that's subject to change (along with health of course).

But right now , this squad , even with the best offensive player on the planet in the last 30 years …. isn't close to either of those championship teams.

Just so you know - I've been following this team since Day One in Houston … The worst and best of times.

#170 Corrosion, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    BigShasta likes this.
  11. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Would be nice to add JaMychal Green, Morey has been trying to get him here for some time. He would fit great here and if we can get Dj somehow if he gets bought out it would be nice. I mean Dj wanted to come closer to his home and get paid too. That’s why he signed with Dallas and now if (yes big if) he is bought out I’m sure he would come here.
    Harden pnr with Capela and second unit with Cp3 and Dj or vise versa even though Cp3 barely lobs it to Capela but I’m sure Harden would. Plus Dj is a beast on the offensive boards and J. Green is a good 3&D guy.

12. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

Get it done Murray, whatever it is, just give us something

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

JaMychal is one player we could still slot at Forward that would give our team A LOT of what we need. Toughness, rebounding, deflections, good feet, lob threat, corner threes, etc.

I know a lot of people don't think PJ can play SF anymore, but I vehemently disagree. That's who I want on KD and George in the playoffs. JaMychal Green would take so much pressure off Tuck and allow him to focus on other things we need defensively, namely perimeter closeouts.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Rockets need to think long term and keep Knight imo.

Next season knight Gordon and if nene picks up his option is like over 30m in expiring contracts.

Add 2 future first round picks and the rockets could be in the drivers seat for the next disgruntled star player.

The more I think about it the more I think this is the best ya to go since cp3 is often injured and looking more like a 3rd best player.

hakeem94, Richie_Rich, Vivi and 6 others like this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You have to be careful with that thinking though. SO many teams have big expirings next year. All from that summer. Doubt expirings and late firsts lands you anywhere near a star without young potentials.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

This year's team is better than last year's team. They just need some time to get together. The injuries aren't helping. The depth they are building in season will help.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree with this against 28 teams, but against the Warriors if Harden is hidden on Draymond, Tucker is guarding Durant and Capela is guarding Cousins, that means Green has to defend Thompson and Paul has to defend Curry. I think Thompson will make us bleed, and Paul will get worn out quick. What do you think?

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Good points.

Jam is one of the best switching bigs I have seen. There aren't many other PFs I would trust more to switch onto Steph/Klay/Durant. Of course, I have watched Jam less than I have watched our own guys, but I think he does a fantastic job when he gets switched onto Harden. Super impressive.

As far as Harden is concerned, I think he has proven that he can master a defensive scouting report and defend just about anyone. Losing Ariza hurts in this regard, but I'm hoping we can pick up a couple excellent defenders before we see GSW. (Jam being just one of those guys)

hakeem94 and BaselineFade like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just gonna have to pick your poison with the Warriors …. and hope you can limit the damage while their starters are on the floor , outscore their bench and hope Harden can go into Superman Mode 4 of 7 games.

Damn I hope Durant leaves them this offseason ….

The one thing about Thompson is he is more of a catch and shoot guy - Curry sets him up and he knocks down open looks. Just don't double off of him and make him put the ball on the floor - limit his effectiveness. They are at their best when they can make a defense scramble …

I'd probably limit the switching - Big stays with big , Tucker or Harden on Durant and 1-3 switch …. unless they go small. I don't want situations where CP3 is guarding Cousins (Green is another story) , Capela on Curry …. CP3 on Durant - terrible mismatches.

Talking about a series with the Warriors is a long way off tho …. they gotta get there first.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

why ? it is cheap