1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

VA Gov Northam blackface photo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I was raised in Northern California in a suburb of San Francisco.

2. NewRoxFan

I think that says more about how far others need to come. I think the same could have been said after Senator Franken stepped down (and... I was one of the first to call for Franken to step down). Though I'd prefer to not worry how others carry themselves.

3. NewRoxFan

Sorry, after starting this thread I've stepped away dealing with a few health issues. But to bring myself back to speed, I still think Northam should step down. I understand its not a fair measure of who he appears to be today. So it may not be fair. But some things we do in the past can be so important that they effect us throughout our lives. I'd put standing in blackface, or wearing a KKK costume would fall in that category.

If it wasn't a big thing... if VA voters knew of the picture would they have voted for him? They know now. Allow the state to move forward with the current Lt. Governor ascend to the governorship to help the state (and Democratic party in VA) heal and move on. And hopefully Northam can recover from this and continue to work on roving he is the man not in the pictures.

4. NewRoxFan

This article from the time of the election reports on why gillespie was criticized for his more trump-like stances (which as you will see, reflected changes in earlier gillespie positions). I know perino is trying to make political hay while the sun is shining and only politicize one side of this... not a surprise.

https://newrepublic.com/article/145186/ed-gillespie-became-trumpist

5. NewRoxFan

The extent y'all want to attack CNN. If they did refer to him as a republican I am sure it was a mistake and I'd be shocked if a few minutes later they didn't call that out and apologize for the error, which I am also sure the partisan attackers didn't report on. Its clear in all the reporting he is a Democrat. And fox news has made similar errors in the past... suspect your outrage missed those.

6. NewRoxFan

I respect your position. And I am a big believer of redemption. Yet unfortunately, a few things in life do disqualify you when it comes to governmental leadership roles. I'd put this on that list. Is it fair to Northam, his family and supporters? No. In another post I asked the question... if it wasn't serious, would Virginians have voted for him if they knew before the election? I suspect some might, but most wouldn't.

Its not fair to Northam, who seems a good man (who had one huge lapse of judgement) and likely would have been a good governor, and the redemptive story might have been a good one for all involved. But unfortunately, in fairness to all the people of Virginia, I still think he should step down.

Major likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Republicans: "Are we talking nonwhite newborns here? "

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I didn't understand what blackface meant. The first time I saw it was as an avatar on this very site. I figured then that it probably is some type of racist thing. That's 2018. I'm pointing out that some people are ignorant with no ill intention. This isn't to said the governor didn't know - and he has admitted that he did know.

I care much more about current behavior than past behavior. Past behavior counts. Current behavior counts x1000. I especially think highly of folks that have done wrong, realize it and has changed (not that rare). And I'm especially dumbfounded by people that showed exemplary past behaviors, then turn to "bad" behaviors (rare, but happens).

Major and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Fairness as in the people didn't get to vote with this info, or something else?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they didn't have a problem with this guy

[​IMG]

Why would they have a problem with this guy?

TheresTheDagger and dachuda86 like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

I guess in small part, fairness in that this information wasn't available when they made their decisions, but I actually meant the larger "in fairness", since the decision may not seem fair to the governor to ask him to step down, and I was meaning its was more important to consider the people of Virginia that the one person (the governor).

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Consider the people feeling? I'm trying to understand what's not fair to the people of Virginia.

#72 Amiga, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He won't get elected ever again. A full minstrel outfit. Have they confirmed if this was a party joke or a clan function? This was in Virginia after all. Maybe that guy in the hood is his clan buddy.

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

If not an outright racist, he obviously has horrible judgement and most definitely was racist as a 25 year old in med school.
    Yeah I think he is a racist. He's a politician and probably does not have much of a moral base by nature.

Most politicians are in it for ego and power and hubris - not some sort moral compulsion.

And he knew damn well what he was doing.

KKK and blackface are BAD. If he didn't know that as a 25 year old in med school, then he's dumb as sh*t too. Being a Democrat does not absolve one of all past (or present) sins. What if it was Nazi gear he was waling around in? I suppose that is acceptable too?

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Major likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

my point was I see no evidence that he holds those views now (quite the opposite), whereas he has advocated legalizing the killing of newborns within the last week

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

He apologized earlier for the photo. But, now he says he doesn't think he is in the photo. This guy is full of crap.

Who wouldn't remember if they had ever dressed up in blackface or a KKK outfit?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

I wasn't clear enough... I meant making a decision based on whether it was fair or not to Northam, versus making a decision based on whether it was fair or not to all the people of Virginia. I was meaning "the good of the many versus of the good of the one or few." I guess "fair" might confuse that a bit, but I was leading in with the idea that it may not seem fair to Northam that he lose his position based on this event.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hilary Clinton carries hot sauce to whip out during interviews on radio stations that target blacks. The Dems will surely forgive this if he claims he was pandering.