1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Drew Storen is solid

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Storen was great until 2015. He was terrible 2016-2017 and didn’t pitch last season. Wouldn’t mind an NRI if he’s fully healthy but wouldn’t consider him ‘solid’.

3. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Lunhow knows he has a competitive advantage with pitching development and thus doesn't need to spend big $$ on free agent arms. All these young guys are going to come up and be dominant because our pitching development is "light years" ahead of other teams.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

The list is long of Astro MiLB players that have big league stuff, time to see them spread their wings and see if they have what it takes.

Perez has a great chance to make this team out of spring training as a lefty option with a plus fastball.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Looks like Realmuto is close to being dealt. Guessing it’s the Reds but Padres seem to be beefing up (and meeting with Harper). NL Central is stacking up

6. awc713

awc713 Member

edit: deleted, started new thread

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Astros sign Wade Miley 4.5 m

8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Miley signing=more money for Harper

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

4/5 of rotation are pending free agents.

10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Lost to FA:
    Marwin
    Sipp
    Maldonado
    Gattis
    Morton
    Kuechel
    Gustave
    McCann

Traded Away:
    JD Davis

Signed via FA:
    Chirinos
    Brantley
    Miley

Traded for:
    Diaz

Lost to injury for (all of or at least a majority of) 2019:
    McCullers
    Smith

The shocker to me is that 9 of our 25 players on the ALCS postseason roster will be gone (10 if Kemp gets dealt).

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would mean a competition between McHugh, Miley, and James for the 4-5-6 spots, with the #6 guy going to the bullpen. Works because any of those 3 would profile nicely in the pen. Miley is rumored to have bullpen based bonuses in his contract.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

We should be around 180-185 million now. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 mill below the cap. I can't see us giving the vast majority of that to Keuchel.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

That would be awesome, would love to see McHugh be able to stay in the pen where he was absolutely dominant

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. The Beard

On a 2 year deal with an option I could

The biggest need of this team right now is still a #3 starter. We can match any team in baseball with Verlander/Cole

Our offense, especially if Correa is back to full health, can match any team in baseball also. Adding Brantley is going underrated, and Chirinos is a definite improvement offensively over the group he is replacing behind the plate

Gimme that legit #3 starter and i'll put us on even terms with the Red Sox, Yankees and Bills as favorites to win the rings in 2019

15. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I'm more concerned about consistent production from the DH than the depth of SP. And I don't think we need Keuchel in order to make our rotation very, very good.

16. The Beard

Yea if you are more worried about DH with Yuli/White/extra OF/studs on “days off” than you are pitching depth

We certainly ain’t gonna agree here

Pitching depth is so important over a long season, our starting pitching health last year has some people not realizing how that goes a large percentage of the time

And if you are hoping we use whatever salary space we have left on a DH you should probably prepare to be very disappointed

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

We have a huge crop of quality pitching depth beyond Verlander/Cole.

If White fails to live up to his 3 month hot streak, we are going to be attempting to plug a hole all year.

I don't think it's a pure DH we are after, but a hitting upgrade.

18. The Beard

Ok maybe you are right, we shall see

I’d just be shocked if Luhnow is looking at our 25 man roster for 2019 and is more worried about hitting than pitching

Long term organizational depth, yea our pitching has good depth (although if you lose Verlander and Cole after this year maybe not). But in roster building for 2019 to be more worried about our offense than pitching, I just don’t know what to say to that

19. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I think Luhnow's approach is to seek out value wherever he can find it; worry about that big push to potentially sacrifice prospects near the deadline when the need is more clear.

Each of our offseason moves affirms this strategy.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member