1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Announce Plans for Astros Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by texans1095, Jan 21, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Brian McTaggart & Alyson Footer? :rolleyes:

THE 2019 ASTROS HOF INDUCTEES

The inaugural 2019 Astros Hall of Fame induction class features the nine Astros with retired numbers, as well as the members of the Astros Walk of Fame on Texas Ave. In subsequent years, Astros Hall of Fame inductees will be determined by the Astros Hall of Fame Committee.

The 2019 inductees are as follows: Bob Aspromonte, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Jose Cruz, Larry Dierker, Gene Elston, Milo Hamilton, Joe Morgan, Joe Niekro, Shane Reynolds, J.R. Richard, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Jim Umbricht, Don Wilson and Jimmy Wynn.

HALL OF FAME ALLEY

The Astros Hall of Fame presented by Houston Methodist will be located in the Home Run Alley area of the ballpark, and will be renamed Hall of Fame Alley. The Astros Hall of Fame will be open and ready for fans to enjoy starting with the Astros exhibition games against the Pirates from March 25–26. Text and images of the Hall of Fame plaques will not be revealed until Astros Hall of Fame weekend from Aug. 2–4.

HALL OF FAME WEEKEND

Astros Hall of Fame weekend presented by Houston Methodist will take place from Aug. 2–4. All members of the inaugural class will be inducted in a pregame ceremony prior to the Astros game on Aug. 3 vs. the Seattle Mariners at 6:10 p.m. CT.

In addition, the weekend will consist of gate giveaways each night for 10,000 fans, including a replica Rainbow Shoulder Nolan Ryan Jersey, a replica HOF Plaque Monument, and a replica HOF Jacket Statue, thanks to our partners at Houston Methodist.

Full details about Hall of Fame weekend are available on Astros.com/HOF.

THE ASTROS HOF COMMITTEE

The Astros Hall of Fame Committee will convene each year to determine the members of each subsequent Astros HOF induction class. The members of the committee are Reid Ryan, Mike Acosta, Craig Biggio, Bill Brown, Gene Dias, Larry Dierker, Bob Dorrill, Marian Harper, Alyson Footer, Brian McTaggart and Mike Vance.

2. body slam

body slam Member

I love the idea, but it seems like a lot of people going in at once. I would start with Nolan, Biggio, and Bagwell. Next year the rest of the retired numbers. Walk of fame the fallowing year. Then add one or maybe two players a year.

3. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Does that banner say "BIGGO"?!?

gatsby, lnchan, msn and 2 others like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Good eye. I do believe it does.

5. msn

msn Member

oh my word! that's just awkward.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

#46 J.R., Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Think it looks good visually, but underwhelming fan experience. It may be the start of something great, but it's just a pass through at this point. I don't see it as a destination.

And the design for those giant scissors are stolen from the logo worn by the greatest American hero.

#47 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    texans1095 likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

Any old Astros fan in this thread? My tenant is the son of terry puhl and I wasnt an Astros fan at that time. Seems like a really cool guy. Was the dude any good?

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, added an 'i' and extra 'g.' B-G-O

The real banner spells it correctly:

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Loved watching Terry Puhl. I believe he once held the record for consecutive errorless games in the outfield.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He actually had the highest OF fielding percentage of all time for a while. He has since been passed by a number of guys.

He wss also 10-22 in their five game epic series against the Phillies in 1980.

CometsWin likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Puhl striking out 8-12% of the time was only slightly better than normal. Looking at stats of the players that I watched as a kid is depressing regarding the current state of the game.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No Cedeno? Dickie Thon needs to at least have a display.

15. Buck Turgidson

Puhl just slapped a single to left, stole 2B, went to 3rd on a Joe Morgan fly to CF and scored on a 2B by Cheo. There is an impressive amount of afros in this game, btw. He was my dad's favorite Astro, so I was a Terry Puhl Astros Buddy for a bit, then switched to Doran because he was my hero back then.

Colt45 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. PhiSlammaJamma

What is the word limit on those plaques?

19. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Now THAT'S Astros baseball!

20. J.R.

J.R. Member