1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Credit Card Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Which is better?

1. 1500 credit card balance with 1500 in savings

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. 0 balance on the credit card with zero savings.

36 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like a great plan

Rocket River

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im triggered! Unbeknownst to me, I guess I was grandfathered into the $5 discount with my credit card with Verizon. When my credit card was skimmed last month, I lost my $5 discount. I was very irritated as I am very particular about my debit card or bank information being exposed on the internet or corporations being compromised by hackers.

Invisible Fan and Sajan like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just revisiting the sage advice here.

Remind myself to stay diligent.
    It is a marathon not a sprint
    etcetera

Any new insite in the world of Credit and Credit Cards?

Paying off total debt does not move you instantly to the upper levels
    I see the guy that just won the lotto . . .. . does that mean he instantly has an 800 score
    (Not that he will need it . .. but I am curious)

Rocket River

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nah. The mathematics of interest charges have not changed this year.

You almost always get charged higher interest on the C.C. than you can ever make in a savings account. It'd be more like $1500 in an aggressive hedge fund to try to even the vig on most C.C.'s. :)

PS -- But I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, and I'm embarrassed to say my rough draft calculations of my household's federal tax in 2018 turned out to be a little off. Ooof, it's hard out there on a Californian.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Certain things affect your score at different levels. Some take more time to stop affecting your credit than others. When I was 21ish I had 5-6 thousands of dollars of debt. I made a decision to let it go off of my credit and not pay it. It took forever but my credit scores are now in the low 800's and I don't plan on ever have that coming down again hopefully.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Depends on your ongoing and anticipated cash flow, and your current credit score's affect on your ability to get more credit.

If you can get another credit card with at least a $1500 limit, then just sticking with your current payment plan to stay current and chip away at enough of the principal to not incur too much interest would be fine, while focusing on saving $1500. $1500 should be easy to save over the next year if you cut a streaming channel or skip eating out for lunch or dinner a few times a month, then auto-transfer $30 a week from checking to savings.

7. smokieethabear

Credit cards are an amazing tool for people with discipline. With like 4-5 cards, NY combined linits maybe over 50k. Doesn't mean I just build up balances. I rarely use cash and I keep about 20 bucks in my wallet. Other than that, swiping the card all day everyday, doesn't matter how small or large the purchase. Whatever my statement balance is, I pay it off without accruing interest.

Best advise for Credt Cards:

Use Credit Cards like you would cash, can't spend cash you don't have in your hands.

Now there maybe times you can take advantage of 0 interest introductory rates. But be sure to pay the monthly minimum or else that rate will fly out the window and yoully have to pay. Even with introductory rates, if I purchase something large that I'll pay over time with that 0% interest rate, I still make sure I have the cash to back it up .

Rocket River likes this.
  8. heads.up

heads.up Member

Does anyone know what happens to those retail store credit cards once they are paid off? I bought my wife's engagement ring using Synchrony bank and paid off the deferred interest plan before the promotion ended. I called them to ask and they noted after 2 years of inactivity they will close the card from that purchase. Doesn't this mean it will hurt my credit and thus, taking out 0 interest plans is a bad idea?

9. smokieethabear

They do close on their own but I've opened a handful of retail cards and approximately 4 have closed over like 10 yrs. However my average score between the 3 bureaus is probably 790ish. It maybe once you build high enough credit and maintain it for some time, its hard for it to go down by opening and closing accounts. I think missed payments and collection marks hurt more than anything else. Just my two cents..

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Percentage of Credit used is a consideration.
    I have been told that you should have no more than 30% usage of your revolving credit.
    That anything higher than that can affect your score by 50~100 points (WOW!!)

I was wondering does it matter if it spread out or not?
    i.e You have two card for a 1000$ total
    Which is ranks better:
    a. 300 on one and 0 on the other
    b. 150 on one and 150 on the other
    c. 200 on one and 200 on the other

My Initial thought is that a and b would be about the same
    while c would be the worse situation

Or is the whole 30% number a load of B.S.

Rocket River

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're falling for a misconception many people tend to fall for. Lenders in different industries weight credit history different. When you see your score via Credit Karma, its a generic compilation of your history. Any type of revolving credit effects your credit in a negative manner. Having a total credit line of $1000 and utilizing 75% of it is not the same as having $500,000 line of credit and utilizing 5%.

A & B are essentially the same in a generic reporting. There may be some situations where consolidating on one card is more beneficial and vice versa.

Keeping a high score is pretty simple. No derogatory reports. The lower the credit utilization, the better. A modest open line of credit. Length of credit history. (Dont cancel that 15 year old account and dont open new accounts for the sake of getting a measly reward. Opening new accounts reduces your average length of credit history)

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would open more CCs providied they don't have annual fees. Do autopay for a known subscription (spotify etc...) then clip the card.

Increases the avg length if you start early and know how to manage several unused cards

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here I go again!

This time I was just rereading everything
    Don't have any real questions as of now.
    I think I got a good control on the situation.
    I have a decent understanding of it all

Not where I want to be .. . but better than I was
    During this time of Pandemic . .. I figured this is that Emergency everyone talks about . . . .

Rocket River

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is the plan I am work toward
    Maybe cheat a lil bit (carry minor balance but within range to be paid off if necessary
    I have moved away from cash for the most part

I am hearing that one should look at MyFICO more than anything else
    That CreditKArma and the like are ok . . . esp for those just starting but MyFICO is more accurate.
    I find Experian, Credit Karma and TransUnion to be a bit too volatile.
    TransUnion seems to always lag behind the others .. . . .

It seems another thing to keep track of is the reporting date.
    If you amount is 3429$ but you pay it off before the Report date . . . .. I don't think it affects you as much
    but Paying it one day after does (this is not the payment date but the date it reports to the Agencies.)

Oh Well . .. still climbing

Rocket River

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Chase just gave me an extra $10,000 to add to my credit limit. Not sure why they gave me that much, it's usually $5,000

Rocket River likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Without asking or anything

Lovely

Rocket River

DreamShook likes this.