1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis suspended one game for missed flight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morganmanor, Feb 2, 2004.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not sure what i want to hear at this point. i'd almost just rather hear francis' agent say by urgent family he meant "super" and by matter he meant "bowl" and that's what it was. if steve's agent just lied (which would then go back to steve), we've got a problem. if jvg lied, we've got a problem. maybe even a bigger one since the coach has to have the faith of all 12 players. if jvg was mistaken and got the info from somewhere else and was mistaken, at least he can apologize. and it's not like anyone will feel bad about having already crushed francis for 6 pages anyway. so either jvg or the agent better modify the statement. someone lying would blow pretty bad i would think.

as it stood earlier, miss flight, get suspended, move on. coach or player lying about what the player was doing, lot longer to move on probably.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Oh well, on second thought, I'd rather remove the picture :D.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

okay. probably a good call. (I laughed my ass off, but agree with your assessment as to the overall contribution this is making to the thread. :) )

#203 B-Bob, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, I thought it was funny and I suspect you might have let out a chuckle, too, but I don't want to irritate men with extra buttons just because I posted a picture from the superbowl!

5. Raven

Raven Member

This is either something minor or something huge.

The point that cannot be missed is that SF knew he was going to do this ahead of time.

A player can miss a flight because they're running late, or they
    can knowingly miss a flight on purpose, which is what SF did.

This wasn't an accident. There is no other way to describe this act other than deliberate.

It's a message, no doubt about it.

Raven

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agree. But JVG would still be stupid for saying something that serious in public on something he's not absolutely sure about. But yeah, it's not as bad as lying.

7. SHANGHAi

SHANGHAi Member

... sounds like something I would do when my parents tell me no. Then again, I can be excused as I am only in my teens... Steve Francis is about 10 years older than me. This is getting sad, Steve is one of my favorite players on the Rockets... but this really, really stabs a knife through my heart.

HOW COULD YOU STEVE?? After the 100+ dollars I've spent on Rockets merchandise stamped with the number 3 on the back...

Van Gundy's just being a strict rule enforcer, something the Rockets aren't quite used to. He's the opposite of Rudy T. and I guess Steve is rebelling... ah... but really, this was NOT the time to do it.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Jim Jackson didn't take below-market value to play with Houston. In fact you could argue that the Rockets paid above-market value for his services.

On the other hand:

Shandon Anderson
    Maurice Taylor
    Charles Barkley
    Cuttino Mobley
    Marc Jackson

All signed (or tried to sign, in Jackson's case) with Houston for below-market value, all in the span of a few years. This off the top of my head.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Anderson and Taylor were pretty obvious wink-wink deals. As was Barkley's - in a sense that Barkley signed a lower deal to allow Pippen to be signed, but was planning to sign a bigger deal later. Marc Jackson never played for Houston and if he had been below market value, he would not have been matched (matching = someone in the market paid more).

That leaves Mobley.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

As pgabriel and others can attest to, I am someone who is on Francis' case all the time.

I think that this whole situation (with his agent saying it was a family emergency and Van Gundy not knowing that or acting like he didn't know that) is a cry by Francis that he wants to be traded. Or he thinks he can get Van Gundy fired by this stunt - not even he is that dumb to think that or is he?

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Just heard. Wow.

Most times I would chalk this up to a mistake. Not a good move, but not earth shattering either. However, in the wake of how we've played, and especially JVG's comments about heart and the team reaction afterwards...this is probably not good at all. I am hoping this is one of thise things we forget about in a few weeks...

But some of the reactions in here have amazed me. Baling JVG for scheduling the flight during the Super Bowl!?!? Are you kidding?!!? So many things wrong with this;

It's his job, not his hobby. You are paid to do your job. Many jobs, if you didn't show up but were caught out at a game, you'd be fired. Additionally, it's a very high paying job. the NBA schedules games on Christmas Day, when I'm sure many players would rather be home with their families, which might be a tad more important than attending a football game, but yet they do it, and we would not forgive them if they didn't. Well, apparently if Steve did it, some in here would find a way to excuse it...

Also, he didn;t even ask/tell JVG he was doing this. Even if there was a curnel of merit to the argument that the players should have been allowed to go to the game rather than earn their pay ( which there isn't, but oh well) , it should have been addressed in an adult, professional manner. Not playing million dollar hookie. Idiotic.

On the other hand, those who are saying that this is typical of Steve are, IMO, also off base. In fact, it is the fact that this is so atypical, given the circumstances, which concerns me. This might have been a sign of something, or worse, a message. Either way, not good.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It's not too big of a deal, I mean he wasn't caught "abusing" the League's Substance policy. It was stupid of him to go to the game like that, but it isn't the end of the world. But if we lose tonight in Phoenix, I am going to be MAD.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I hope he never plays another minute in a Rockets uniform

14. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Jimmy Buffet has this great song about waking up "the morning after" with a tatoo. Title of the song is:

Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling

Let's wait for details, but my guess is that's exactly what happened with SF; he just blew off the team & JVG for the Super Bowl "temporary feeling."

A line later in the song goes "there is no dumbass vaccine."

....well, I'll just leave it at that :rolleyes:

D R

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Geez. Trying to see if this was sarcasm....or not.

Some people around here are fed up with SF...so I am not sure.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Nah, not sarcasm......I've been fed up with him and waiting for a trade since preseason now...

17. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

and you'll be extra mad if we lose and end the season 1 game behind the 8th seed

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

either way you look at it there is no way we trade him this year.

i do agree that gundy will move him this offseason though.

19. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Look on the Bright Side Folks,

The last time a Rocket missed a flight, it was b/c he was busy assaulting a woman. As long as Stevie doesn't go the way of booz and Mary Jane, I'm happy. Let's give Stevie a second chance and bring him back into the fold.

:D

theSAGE

20. Summer Song Giver

Wow stevie you really disappoint me:(