1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Not if you can get them for cheap. Marwin is a big piece to the Astros. Shoot, the Astros would yet to have a trophy if it wasn't for him.

2. tmacfor35

cbass and Madmanmetz like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's not just the question of price. You only have a 25 man roster. Kemp and White are out of options and Marisnick will be out of options 20 days into the season. The Astros are likely to carry a 13 man pitching staff conisdering they did last year and this year the rotation will likely be weaker on paper.

Marisnick is the only backup CF unless you give a roster spot to Straw. White is likely to be the DH. Kemp probably won't make the team anyway. I doubt the Astros traded for Diaz just to stash him in the minors to keep Marwin around. Diaz is also insurance at SS if Correa's back is a problem.

I don't see a spot for Marwin. Nobody is shortchanging his importance during the championship run, but he will be significantly more expensive than Diaz, White, and Kemp combined. It just doesn't make sense without making some other moves to free up a roster spot.

eric.81, Smacktle, cbass and 4 others like this.
  4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Nice video what about threw the season where he was completely absent from the universe with his crappy bat?

A couple of moments in the playoffs awesome. Stop living on a prayer.

Marwin does nothing for you all year .he isnt worth more then 5m per and is asking for 17m per. Your crazy if you give that to him.

Just like Keuchal . Thinks he is an ACE wants 20M + but isnt worth more then a 4 or 5 SP. If lucky a Long Reliever.
    Stop living in the past

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  5. tmacfor35

Probably the first time on Clutchfans I read someones rebuttal and was like...

Yeah, you right.

jsingles likes this.
  6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

LOL Keuchel only a long reliever? If he’s lucky? Please. And Marwin’s terrible season? Yeah it wasn’t great, but he was worth 2.5 WAR. Not great, but by no means terrible. I do agree that it doesn’t make sense to bring him back though. As far as your Keuchel take, if you really think he’s only a no. 4 or 5 SP then I’m not sure what to tell ya.

eric.81, cbass and Madmanmetz like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I like the part where he clearly doesn't realize what year that Marwin video is from.

eric.81, cbass and texans1095 like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I like the part where he said the Astros could get Realmuto for Martin and Fisher.

eric.81, cbass, Marteen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Exactly. The voting bloc has gotten progressively better. Not great (the Berkman snub is indefensible, as is the continued blacklisting of Bonds & Clemens) - but better. And it will keep getting better. I would suspect, within... 10-15 years, that we'll have a slew of unanimous choices. Jeter, next year, I think will be for sure.

And... looooooong way to go - but if he continues on his current path, wins a few more batting titles, rings and/or MVPs, crosses 3K hits.... Altuve is a prime unanimous prospect. Writers LOVE Altuve and his story.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nice summation article on the Athletic for “internal options for 4th/5th starter spot - https://theathletic.com/787506/2019/01/28/houston-astros-pitchers-rotation-opening-day-candidates/. A clip about James:

I want to be able to get more of a consistent slider,” James said. “I think that’s going to be a big part of my development as a pitcher, to be able to have that third pitch. That’s what I’m looking to do in spring. And (I want to) learn to find that cruising speed. I think those are going to be my two points (of emphasis) this spring.”

---
    Heard the slider part before. It looks good when he's on though at this point it might be more of a chase pitch than something he can throw over the plate a lot. The cruising speed part is interesting. My first thought is to work on just getting guys out first, and work on getting them out efficiently second. My second thought is that I am an idiot, and the Astros are probably comfortable with him starting if they want him to work on cruising speed.

Here's his slider and changeup at their best below:

Marteen, mikol13 and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Moron you cant clearly see that it says it on the video itself.

Get a clue every year is the same with Marwin. Get off his jock strap swallow that nut and realize he sucks in the season. So why pay him more then what he is worth to have him do nothing unless we go to the play offs?

Asshat

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Now we're talking baseball!

biff17 likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Marwin Gonzalez slashed .275/.352/.492/.844 after the All-Star break last year, which was after slashing .303/.377/.530/.907 in 2017. You're literally throwing out 732 plate appearances so you can focus on 335.

If you want to argue '17 was a fluke, that's fine and you may actually be right. But Marwin was a 2.5 bWAR player last year while primarily playing 4 different defensive positions (7 altogether) + DH. That has tremendous value. As much as Marwin is asking?....... But he by no means "sucks." That's silly.

cbass, Joshfast, Astrofan59 and 3 others like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Uh, yeah, I like this.

adw and Marteen like this.
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

What’s that in reference to?

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marquese Chriss. Bregman wants the Suns to take his contract back.

17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I would assume the title of WS champs.

Smacktle and awc713 like this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m sure it’s the World Series. Or at least I would hope so.

Smacktle and awc713 like this.
  19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Stop posting

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Didn’t skydude get himself banned a while back?