1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is time to unlock the midrange.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryan_Success, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I have been a huge proponent of analytics falling in line with the philosophy of Morey Ball over the last few years, however, basketball is basketball. We posted the best regular season record in franchise history with 65 games last year, and presented the biggest challenge to the Golden State dynasty oustside of the LeBron outlier. We continue to present a challenge to the Warriors posting a 2 Ws to 0 Ls so far this season. Even with this regular season success, we continue to ask what pushes us over the hump versus this all-time great team?

Some argue let’s throw some first round picks at acquiring a above-average role player. I argue changing the philosophy on the offensive end. We are a great team with Harden alone when the ball is dropping from distance. We are a above average team when we have to rely on huge scoring outputs on less efficiency when we are cold. What is the remedy?

Draw a three point line around the free throw line and those shots are more then efficient. A step in from the three point line is a bad shot. 3 steps in from the 3 point line is a efficient shot/floater. This is our secret weapon vs the Warriors. The belief is we will only takes shots from behind the arc and at the rim. We open up this aspect on the offensive end we become unguardable. Bigs will be unable to sit and wait at the rim for drives during pick and rolls, and perimeter players have to press the three point line even more opening up lanes. It’s a small change to how we operate that will result in immediate success!

What do y’all think?

#1 Ryan_Success, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Crashlanded19 and Lawlruschang like this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OKC with Durant had a 3-1 lead the series before the “Lebron Outlier”.

I think you mean biggest challenge since they got Durant.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nah.

A strong 3&D wing. Covington or the equivalent.

It might not be doable, but that would make the task a lot easier.

HP3 and Ryan_Success like this.
  5. Malaya

Malaya Member

CP is money in the midrange. And have you seen Harden's floaters in the lane?

They can adjust if the 3s are not falling in.

However we need the 3s from Gordon, Green etc to create space for Harden and Capela/Faried. It's still Game plan A.

The more games our 3s are not falling in, the more we can practice Game plan B.

6. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Yeah pre-Durant I love our chances, with-Durant I like our chances.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  7. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I also hit post thread accidentally before I finished my thoughts (Rookie Mistake). I’m interested in clutchfans analysis after the edit.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tool needed.

Ibaka, derozan, wade, Kobe, Durant, Middleton, McCollum, aldridge

9. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

When we are hitting shots, we roll business as usual. This is more of a option when we have missed 27 threes straight. Take a couple steps in and keep the defense guessing. That either opens up easier 3 point shots or mire open driving lanes. I don’t want a completely different offensive scheme but just to open up this option. We would for sure benefit from a 3&D wing but that’s still dependent on the 3 ball falling. Our team is live by the 3, die by the 3 but with Harden I think we have so much more potential.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

But does anyone actually know how many midrange twos we attempted and hit while we were missing 27 straight threes? You can still shoot (and hit) twos while you're missing a bunch of consecutive threes.

Ryan_Success and hakeem94 like this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

I guess average 3 pt accuracy of harden Paul Gordon is about 36%.
    Average of curry Durant Thompson is 41%.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  12. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I'd rather go 0-27 from three in the playoffs way more efficient than watching those disgusting mid ranges

13. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I don’t know the specifics but I remember watching the game wishing we would take a few steps in. I think every 3 ball we put up we can hit because for the most part they’re good shots. I also know when we are trending for a bad shooting performance we could remedy that by stepping in for easier shots. They may be less efficient when we consider the analytics but more efficient when consider the actual flow of the game. Don’t get me wrong MOREY BALL WORKS, but adding a few wrinkles to it doesn’t do us any bad.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There will be no unlocking of the sort - Mike Dantoni

D-rock, BasketMAD, bilaal14 and 3 others like this.
  15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’ll be sure to tell Morey at the season ticket holders meeting.

Lawlruschang and Ryan_Success like this.
  16. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I think there’s a such thing as bad midrange jumpers. A step in from the 3 point line is a bad shot. A jumper around the free throw line I can live with all day!

D-rock likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I don't want to disagree with you, but I feel I have to. :)

When I see teams trying to come back against us and hitting midrange two after midrange two after midrange two after midrange two, then us holding them off by hitting less than half of our threes, it becomes apparent how ineffective that game is.

HP3, D-rock, harold bingo and 2 others like this.
  18. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

And that’s with them taking the same midrange shots I’m suggesting. They have better shooters and we have better playmakers which is why I don’t think we should limit our ability to score.

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I feel like Harden has a much better mid range game than CP3.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Both 3 point accuracy
    Boogie is a 3 pt shooter too.
    Need the bench to defeat them from the three