1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas sets Harden's over/under for tonight at highest-ever 42.5 points

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 25, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Houston Rockets star James Harden is on a historic pace, with 21 straight games scoring at least 30 points, including a career-high 61 against the New York Knicks on Wednesday night.

Defenders aren't the only ones having a hard time keeping up.

Six hours before game time, the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook has moved Harden's over/under for points scored in Friday night's game against the Toronto Raptors (8 p.m. ET, ESPN) to an astronomical 42.5, setting the record for highest over/under point total it has ever posted.

The line had opened at 41.5, which tied the previous high -- for Harden's Monday night game against the Philadelphia 76ers. Harden went under, scoring 37 points in three quarters but sat out the fourth quarter as the Rockets fell 121-93.

"It's a reaction to what we're seeing through the betting window," Jeff Sherman, vice president of risk management and oddsmaking at the SuperBook, told ESPN. "If Harden goes on a string of games where he hits 50 a few times in a row, we may have to increase it more because in the low 40s, we're not going to get much under money on it. We did see two-way action at 41.5 on Monday."

Caesars Palace opened a prop on whether Harden would score 60 or more points in a game this season last Thursday, with the yes favored at -130 and immediately took a $500 limit bet on the "yes." It cashed less than a week later.

Full story here.

TL;DR: Holy f%$k, this guy's on fire!

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Smash the over...

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Raptors are going to make it hard for him to get the over. But I'll say he still get it.

4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Love Harden but..... the Claw. Take the under.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

One of those games I worry about. Kawai, Raptors team defense. Will we see a game like Philly where Harden doesn’t even play the 4th? Hopefully not.

I’d like to see Harden put it on Kawai, I think it would command even more respect.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It'll be a 50 piece tonight.

thedreamsteam and BeBreezy like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This game might resemble the 76ers game. I take the over without hesitation unless it's against the Bucks, Raptors, Thunder, Warriors, possibly Pelicans - with our non-Clint Capela roster.

Tonight, my gamble is the under.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think Danny Green will be defending Harden the majority of the time

Wasn’t that usually the case in San Antonio?

If Toronto and their legion of perimeter defenders can’t stop Harden from dropping 40+, then no one can.

DreamShook likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Absolutely insane for Vegas to set such high numbers. More insane is Caesars capping bets at only 500, knowingly that he would get it and were scared to fork over all that cash.

10. Voltik

Voltik Member

Even against Kawhi, I don’t see Harden being over because he might not even play most of 4th if we are being blown out. The value of Capela has really shown against these teams.

Harden vs Kawahi is intriguing matchup. Harden balled even against George, would have loved to see Butler against him, now a fresh Kawahi who has been resting for Harden will be lit

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

friendly reminder that Harden is averaging 39, 7, and 8 on 46/41/88 shooting splits to go along with a 125 offensive rating at home this season

he’s already dropped over 40 on MIL, OKC, and GS...Toronto about to get that work

DreamShook, topfive and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

If I were to wager, it would be on the under. The good news: I'm a terrible gambler!

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

14. macan

macan Member

without CP, i think Harden gets to close to 50 easy tonight

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s no single defender that has that great of an impact on Harden. The only question will be how hot the rest of our shooter are, does Harden have to take all the shots, or how out of hand the game is.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OVER

jcf and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is either going to be the game where Kawhi goes from 3% chance of winning MVP to 0%, or from 3% chance to...5%.

peleincubus and jcf like this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Guaranteed Harden sees this, and is definitely going to try to get at least 43, regardless of how good or bad the game is going.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Given Kawhi is back, I would probably lean under, but my God...this dude is unstoppable right now. Hard to go against him. I'm sure he's going to be amped up to play on national TV. He's gonna put on a show regardless.