1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Youth Taunt Native American Elder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 19, 2019.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2. cml750

cml750 Member

OMG, the kid smirked at him? He moved right into the kids face and started banging his drum. Keeping that to just a "smirk" showed great restraint. Phillips

You do realize that the responsible adult here should have been Phillips himself. He and his group should have never moved into the middle of the Covington kids and started acting like idiots.

I agree Trump should stay out of it but are you seriously going to complain about a President getting involved after how many times Obama got involved in situations and almost always made stupid remarks that did nothing to help except to escalate the already bad situations.

#782 cml750, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Granville, King1 and dachuda86 like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Did Phillips shout profanities (the other group that the students were having an issue with)? Did he mock the students? No, he drummed his drum and chanted his chant.

But as expected... you thought President Obama was wrong for wading into a social issue and escalated an issue... but no criticism of trump for doing it? Shocked.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I trust you haven't seen the full video. It absolutely did not escalate the situation. Phillips did walk in between the groups. Phillips and his group got right up to the Covington kid's face and sang a song of love and peace. The kid did nothing but stare at him. That is true. The other kids mocked and made racist gestures at Phillips.

If you watch the full video, the hate group were talking about how Phillips had calmed the situation. They said that he calmed 40 demons. And as it continued they even stopped harassing the kids.

Your representation of the incident is like the media's in that it is also inaccurate.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.today.com/news/nick-san...w-s-savannah-guthrie-encounter-native-t147242

#785 J.R., Jan 23, 2019
  6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, yes, but if you're going to post a disappointed and chagrined bear after every unfortunate DaDakota post.....you're going to be posting a lot of bears.

King1 and cml750 like this.
  7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, this is why you shouldn't pay attention to MSM news.

cml750 likes this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I can't believe this thread is 40 pages.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

Yes I have seen the whole video. I highly suggest you watch it yourself. Trying to deescalate a situation between two groups would usually mean they actually move between the two groups physically separating them. They absolutely did not do that. They moved right in the middle of just one specific group and that group was not the one who started the entire episode or the one shouting hateful things.

I do have a few questions about your comments, does this so called song of love and peace require him to get right in someones face banging a drum to work? Do you not realize that could easily be taken as an act of aggression? If they wanted to calm the situation as you suggest would it not make more sense to actually move between the two groups or if they felt the need to just walk into one of these groups why not move right among the members of the hate group and sing songs of love and peace while banging drums right in their faces? Of course the hate group backed Phillips story of trying to calm the situation. Why you think that is the case? Surely you can figure it out if you ponder it for a while.

#789 cml750, Jan 23, 2019
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe that people are still going with the fake news narrative that was long ago debunked and still trying to attack the children who did nothing wrong. Call me an optimist but I thought even those who hang out down here in the D&D were better than that.

After it was shown that the kids were being verbally attacked by a literal hate group and Phillips was proven to be a liar and those with Phillips were proven to have joined in with the literal hate group in shouting racist rhetoric at the children that should have been the end of things.

Duncan McDonuts, King1 and cml750 like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While obviously coached what to say (and not say... not that being coached wasn't the smart thing to do before going on TV), I get the sense he is sincere in what he said. There were a few "in hind sight" that ring true... like moving away fro Phillips, going to another place when the other group was harassing them. The desire to communicate he didn't intend to disrespect Phillips. A desire to talk with him.

Its a shame this didn't happen at the time. Would have been a good learning opportunity and would have completely changed this from such a negative event to a really positive one. I am guessing its not too late... perhaps he will get a chance to talk with Nathan Phillips. There would still be lots to learn.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also according to people in Phillips' group, their goal was to join in with the hate group in solidarity against the children. Given that everything else Phillips' said was proven to be lies, I'm not sure why they are trying to hold on to what he said his intentions were as if it is gospel.....especially after he spoke about the children with dehumanizing language calling them beasts and defending the literal hate group suggesting they were the children's prey.

King1 and cml750 like this.
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

I guess some people are either stupid or choose to be intentionally ignorant. This should never go to this many pages and should be something we all easily agree with. Either they refuse to watch the entire video or worse like to intentionally sow discord just like the mainstream media.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And getting prime interviews on the Today Show.

This is surely one of the dumber never-ending news stories of the past couple years. The Trevor Noah clip above is spot on. Its a display of 1st amendment rights, and didn't have 2nd amendment rights so that's a good thing.

But everyones Iphone footage victimization storyline is just over the top. What's even worse is the leap to become a political superstar from the MAGA Brat, and the Elder who jumped on cable news right away. The MAGA brats more than anyone who might as well be represented by Michael Avennatti.

Its time for the media to let this sh$% die. Its the crap that political hacks like Trump love & take advantage of like a golfer looking for a ball already tee'd up. Of course he will invite these kids to the White House the way the media is blowing this crap out of proportion. What an opportunity to seize on to further divide & conquer.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there are a few camps here that are still trying to attack the children, one is certainly those who are being intentionally ignorant such as the DNC propaganda bot another is those who just support racism directed at children if they are wearing a hat like @FranchiseBlade has admitted and there are probably some who just saw the initial false media narrative and didn't see any of the rest of the story. I don't really blame the last group, it's the reason why fake news is the enemy of the people, but those in the first 2 groups....well they are pretty despicable.

cml750 likes this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

Also, I do not watch that much news these days for obvious reason so I had not seen that some of Phillips group admitted what they did. While that does not excuse their actions I give them kudos for admitting it. That also makes Phiillips lies even more incriminating. Phillips, a proven liar, is really a terrible representative for Native Americans.

17. No Worries

Trump, a proven lier, is a terrible representative of the USA and Blue Collar Billionaires, World Best Deal Makers, Lover of the Black Peoples, People Smarter Than The Top US Military Generals, White Supremacists, etc.

foh and NewRoxFan like this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

^^^^^^^^ Trump Derangement Syndrome is a real thing!!

dachuda86 likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

remember when comedians used to make jokes?

20. No Worries

^^^^^^^^ Trump Derangement Syndrome is a real thing!!

foh, sammy, JayGoogle and 1 other person like this.