1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we trust EG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jan 22, 2019.

?

Do you trust EG will return to playing well come playoff time?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

When he plays well we win.

Unfortunately, those games that make you think he is our 3rd star don't seem to come as often as they did last year..

MDA could reduce his role and mins once CP comes back, but I don't think that gets him playing like we'll need him to come playoff time.

Morey could package EG, Chriss, and Knight at the deadline for a wing, but will the acquired piece fit and provide the scoring we need off the bench.

Should we just be patient and hope he returns to form?

What say you?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno. . . .. . I think we have to limit his expectations

Rocket River

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think packaging E.G., Chriss, and Knight would bring back a player better than Gordon. Trading Gordon and a bunch of draft picks could bring us a good player, but I'm fine with keeping Gordon.

4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

He look out of shape to me

5. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Nah, he’s in great shape, he was yelling after every shot last night so he’s in fine form as usual.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

LOL @ the timing of this thread. Where was this thread after the Lakers game where he made the clutch 3 to send it into OT?

Gordon is 1) getting back into form after a knee injury, 2) is the only other Rocket besides Harden who can create his own shot and 3) doesn't have CP3 to help set him up. Teams are going to gameplan for Harden and Gordon.

7. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

He is unstable. Hope he can be another Thompson, we can see the difference once we compare them together

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We don't need him as much as we need a starting forward. Knight and a pick is unlikely to net us a starting quality forward. I would deal Gordon.

Look at the rotations. Even with guards filling in minutes at SF, we played Harden/Rivers/Gordon/Green. Knight didn't even get off the bench.

If we had Paul and House, Green would not see game time anymore, and one of Gordon/Rivers would see their minutes go dramatically down. IMO we need to bet on Harden/Paul/Rivers/Green/Knight being sufficient depth and quality. That would still be among the best - if not the best - guard rotations in the NBA.

I don't want us to extend Gordon and next season is last on his contract. If we can get a starting quality SF/PF for Gordon and our 2019 pick, we should do it without hesitation. Even with Paul down, Harden/Rivers/Green/Knight would easily hold the fort at those 2 positions. We're comically bad at the forward position.

EDIT: I know when Gordon is on he's a heck of a player. It just so happens we need a heckuva player at a different position, and our other trade assets are practically hurting us in trade.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is true as well

IS he on a minutes restriction?

Rocket River

10. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

I've heard Beal is being shopped would be nice to trade out Gordon plus expiring filler and picks for him. We can't waste Harden's greatness right now hoping Gordon will revert to form.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

if we get daniel house back, he would defiinately be expendable since he's our only real trade piece of posititve value. That said, we're still not going to trade him unless we are getting a clear upgrade at the forward spot. Or two good rotational players who are nearly as good as him or just as good. He was huge for us in the playoffs last year, and you don't just trade him away unless you make your team better.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Not saying that he’s not important to the team obviously, but I don’t like that he dominates the ball in the second unit. He’ll throw up a bad shot or drive into a bunch of trees more often than passing. Even though Rivers hurt his hand and his shot has suffered, he’s hardly involved in the offense now.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I just don't see it turning around for EG.

He's fine as a catch and shoot 3 player, but is being asked to do way too much as constructed.

14. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

Can EG trust the Rockets not to trade him? Certainly has an effect on consistent play. He's perfect for the Rockets especially when he plays defense.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think EG is done. The flashes of who he was are few and far between

16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Nop. We can’t. He doesn’t even know how to go to the basket anymore. Loses the ball or gets it block. He looks lost out there, even on the defensive end.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think he's mentally shot .

When his shot is going in he's good .

But he has been pathetic taking it to the rim ... and when his shot is off , yikes .

He's a good defensive player , but his offense is purtrid when he's off .... which has been the majority of this season

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

EG plays career average 56 games a season.
    FG% decreases from 43% to 38% (last season to this season)
    3FG decreases from 36% to 31%. (last season to this season)

EG can't shoot this season.
    I'd take good trade for EG now since he is likely to leave.

#18 BigBum, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    cdxiong likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somebody ask him if he is having fun.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No, I think he's done. He'll still have the occasional good-great game or stretch of games.