1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Devil We Know - Documentary on Teflon/Dupont

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Anybody else seen this? It's on Netflix, and I'll provide a link for a trailer and the full upload on youtube.
    Trailer

Full movie

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bu...uting-is-in-a-company-s-rational-12242686.php

Makes me absolutely sick.

2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The most frightening movie I've seen in a long time. Those responsible deserve to be in prison.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. body slam

body slam Member

I think Stuff They Don't Want You To Know podcast covered this

Rocket River likes this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

power and the money, money and the power

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

absolutely disgusting.

anyone complicit should be jailed for life, and their net worth stripped from them.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dupont is a family of murders, rapists and inbreds.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Science-based interesting non-profit about consumer goods. Bipartisan by nature and good info for ya.

http://greensciencepolicy.org/

I really wish there were more groups like this. They don't lobby so much for legislation, but they more partner with companies, walking through the front door, showing them data, and brainstorming ways to make products safer. All sorts of big companies work with them now. Good story, actually.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Consumer knowledge of harmful chemicals within our everyday life is near non existent. I wish the EPA would take a guilty until proven innocent approach to approving chemicals, because I don’t think we will ever have the public doing this type of research for themselves, it’s impossible.

We shouldn’t have to rely on 3rd party organizations either, Im happy to have them but they shouldn’t have to do what the EPA should be doing.

#8 ThatBoyNick, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    CCity Zero, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  9. body slam

body slam Member

if only the government would pay the EPA as good as Dupont did or still does. The part of the movie where Dupont working with EPA telling them what to write or how to word it. Makes me feel like someone was getting a kick back.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

with thousands of new chemical products every year , the current medical guideline will make you feel better
    "drinking water has some detectable amount of some of these PFAS ( pfoa and many similar)chemicals. Although some of these chemicals can be measured in the blood and compared with population levels, there are currently no human correlations of the measured level and adverse outcomes or other clinical tests. Therefore, we advise against ordering the test since it is difficult to interpret, or offer advice, other than to stop the exposure (eg, avoid nonstick cookware)"

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Many parts of the EPA are corrupt....it's heartbreaking. Our government needs to crack down on them and make sure they are doing their job, we need MUCH tighter regulations on chemicals, food, water, waste, nuclear waste etc. Hopefully, our next president will care deeply about these issues considering how vital they are for the health of our people and environment.

Buck Turgidson and body slam like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We're moving in a direction where we get rid of the EPA and you guys want it to have more power.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes. I want the government to crack down on the corruption within the EPA, and then to give them far more power to regulate dangerous pollutants.

You would disagree?

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm was more obvious in my post.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol no apology needed, I've just spent to much time in the D&D...

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wow. If you're a hypochondriac, or just someone who wants to live to age 50, this was a bad thread to click on.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

18. Buck Turgidson

Minute by minute, hour after hour?

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I don’t know if this is “new thread worthy,” but I purchased two items of note recently, and this thread is as good as any to talk about them. I bought a reverse osmosis system from amazon (fits under the sink and has its own faucet) and a “total dissolved solids” water tester (not entirely sure how it works, but it’s readings are fairly consistent). It’s supposed to filter out a lot of the bad stuff including those things that DuPont left us with. Anyhoo......Houston water from the tap always reads a bit over 130 parts per million. Legal, but the TDS monitor lights up in red when you test that water. Every bottled water I’ve tested has read over 30 parts per million. Houston tap water run through the RO system consistently reads about five or six parts per million. Highly recommend.

CCity Zero, Fyreball and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

RO is great but also filter out minerals (you want that stuff) and fluoride (be aware that this can negatively impact teeth especially for kids). So just be aware of what you are losing. I don’t only consume RO for this reason. Frig filtered water is still important.

TDS doesn’t distinguish between good and bad but just total. So 130ppm doesn’t necessary mean bad.... just FYI. But way above that (said 300ppm+) probably is not good.

CCity Zero likes this.