1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets intend to release James Nunnally if they can't find a deal for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 19, 2019.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

If I could talk to him I would tell him 2 things. 1) Take a deep breath.
    2) Shoot the 1st open shot. Then I would drop the mic and tell him you’re welcome.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think that would be a fair thing to do. I was disappointed at him giving us nothing against the Lakers, but he played quite well against the Nets.

I do believe that he will be waived, instead of Melo. DM probably won't be able to trade Melo by Monday. Fortunately and surprisingly, Ennis had a good game with 17 points against LAL.

BigShasta and ak99999 like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The league picks up part of veteran minimum contracts … From the Larry Coon CBA

This doesn't technically reduce the tax burden …. but it does "cover costs" so .. you aren't paying that portion of the players contract but it does count towards the cap / lux tax.

I don't believe Two Way's are taxed either.

That's all I can think.

saleem likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The bottom line here is luxury tax costs. Any contracts on the books on the last day of the league year are used to calculate the total.

If you trade a contract (player) that contract is no longer on your books for the league year calculations.

Trading Melo gets him off the books , cut him instead and he's locked into your end of year salary.

The reason they would cut Nunnally instead is the cost - Melo $2.4m Nunnally 70k

Forget about Chriss & House … Cutting Chriss is more costly than cutting Melo.

House is on a two way and doesn't take up a roster spot nor does he count against the lux tax.

Basically what needs to happen is they made a trade where they take in 1 less player than they send out. The easiest of those would be Melo and cash for a heavily protected pick which will not convey to a team that will cut Melo.

You just have to find a team willing to take your cash for using their cap space below the tax line.

D-rock, topfive, saleem and 3 others like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Rough night for Nunnally. 0 points, rebounds, assists, 1 foul, minus 10, 0-5 3 point shooting in 12 minutes.

His shooting form usually looks good, but in last night's game he just looked hyper-tense.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i posted in the nunnaly thread over the summer i had seen this guy in person playin in europe and he was not nba material. all the excuses about new setting, rumors he'll be cut to make room for faried etc...... making 3's is the only thing he's supposed to be good at and if he can't even do that pressure or no pressure than he's utterly useless in this league. and we know none of these distractions would have fazed house, that guy is a killer who thrives on pressure. imo morey F'd up and i hope it's still not too late to correct the situation.

BigShasta, J.R. and cheke64 like this.
  7. The Point God

The Point God Member

It still angers me that melo isn't on the team playing... He can help this team and he's better than anyone available right now. It makes no basketball sense.

T-Mac+921 likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

ak99999 and BigShasta like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

inb4 anyone else guesses that PointGod is htownmelo

ak99999, topfive and heypartner like this.
  10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

let's be clear, Nunnally is not anywhere close to House

cbs1507, bulkatron, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  11. saleem

No doubt about that. We need House back instead of him.
    I hope TF and DM will realize that, and come to a mutually acceptable compromise with him or get another comparable player at a cheap price.

ak99999 likes this.
  12. saleem

He can help on offense to some extent, but he will be a huge viability on defense. His ego kept him from playing in my opinion. Although, it might have been possible to use him as a small 5 on defense near the basket. Switching was a disaster for him and the team.

13. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Did you see the games Before and After Melo? You don't make any sense. Yes, I know we're in this position now because of Harden's historic run, but one can argue, that if Melo was still around, being mediocre, playing his atrocious defense, and messing up the Rockets flow in general, Harden wouldn't have exploded the way he did.

I wanted Melo to work out too, they gave it a shot, didn't work out. Move on. Sometimes I wish Melo would come back and play just to remind ya'll how much he sucks now.

14. ch44

ch44 Member

Rockets are still searching for help on the wing without giving up a lot of assets. Far from the days of the JB trade rumors. Not a lot of exciting names out there available.

ak99999, D-rock, mario elie and 2 others like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Isn't the player under some kind of obligation to earn that money by hitting a shot or two? :D Or is the team the only side with an obligation here?

16. H-Town Rockets Guy

Nunnally only played 2 games and he will be the one getting cut bcuz of his Salary. It will be tough to move Melo by tomorrow. if we can move Melo, it would be awesome

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Nunnally is not a rotation player for us. His shot is streaky and his defense sucks