1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best players in the league

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sir scarvajal, May 3, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Right now the first one is easy--that is Shaq. Yes until he gets a ring there will be valid questions, but he has just been too dominating not to start with him. But after that it gets sticky. Here are the candidates:

KG: Going into this season I really thought he was going to emerge as the next greatist superstar (passing Duncan because of his superior athleticsm)--I was way wrong. He is a very good player mind you, but he doesn't know how to be the man yet. To be the man you need have the will to score yourself when your team needs you (e.g., even the pass first Magic cleverly knew when he had to turn up his individual O to help the team). KG isn't there yet and thus his team got bounced after winning one measly playoff game. He might get there, but he has a ways to go.

DUNCAN. Injuries have limited to his stake to #2 this year, but you can't discount his run last year. He is still better than KG, and I would probably put him at #2 if healthy.

C-WEBB. I said a few weeks ago now that he has figured out his freebies he is pretty much an equal to Duncan--though many disagree saying there was quite a gap. I think he is proving there isn't much of a gap healthy or not, and I believe he is the second best player still on the court. He does things KG doesn't--put the ball in the whole when his team needs that bucket, and provides key steals, blocks and the best passes by any big man in a long time. He has been unstoppable and phenomenal. I am telling you if we keep our current team in tact, add minor pieces via draft/FA, and then sign him via free agency for the MAX in 2001, we will be competing for championships for 5 or 6 years. Not that I am against it, but if we trade for Duncan we will lose valuable players in the process and at least not be as immediately formidable as signing Webber via FA and keeping all of our players.

Honerable mention-yes I am slanted to big people, but until a guard or small forward plays at a MJ, Magic or Bird level in raising his whole team I am not going to put them up there with great low post players who ALSO can cause defensive problems in the middle. Payton and Kobe would be closest, but I am not ready to say they have a strong bid for being the 1st or 2nd best player in the league yet. This list, in no particular order includes: Kobe, Payton, Kidd, Iverson, Malone (not as much as a defensive presence as Webber or Duncan, and not quite as offensively dominanting than a few years ago) and Mourning (great defender, not quite as offensively skilled as most of the other elites though).

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited May 03, 2000).]

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

C- Obviosly Shaq is in his own class. Actually when you think about it the C are getting older. Only other C who I think is in the top tier in the NBA is Zo. D-rob is past his prime, but he did play well w/o Duncan in the playoffs.

PF- Webber & Duncan are the top in the league. Duncan gets a thumbs up becuase he has the ring but both of these guys can play. Karl is still the most consitent player. I think every year he will begin to show his age but the guy is a physical freak.

SF- Belongs to KG. SF has become a place for many teams, like the Rockets, to bury a big SG. KG is 6'10 who plays like a 6'6 guard. Hill is also tough, and he showed alot of heart in the playoffs.

SG- Lot of talent here. Just because of the playoffs I would give the edge to Iverson. Kobe is also playing real well. Kobe is a better all around player, but Allen does it for the most part by himself. I also like Eddie Jones as a defensive guy.

PG- My favorite is Jason Kidd. I always like the traditional PGs (pass 1st, shoot 2nd). Stockton is still effective, and hopefully Stevie may become the future.

my top 5:
    1. Shaq
    2. Duncan
    3. C-Webb
    4. Kidd
    5. Iverson/Kobe

I also like the big guys so I may also be biased in my top 3 as well.

------------------

3. PhiSlammaJamma

1. Shaq - He looks a lot different now than he did against Olajuwon. He simply can't be stopped. Perhaps Olajuwon tossed him the torch in the '84 playoffs. Has rspect for legends of the game.
    2. Duncan - Difficult to stop his bank shot. Carried his team to the finals. Literally, on his back.
    3. Malone - Almost impossible to stop with or without Stockton. Work Ethic is strong and he's been to the finals to prove it.
    4. Cassell - Seems to thrive in all parts of the game, including leadership and clutch play. Takes his game to another level and makes the Bucks a legitimate contender. Elevates his team.
    5. Mourning - Elevates what I consider to be an average team all season long. So I don't look at his playoff dissapointments very heavily..thinking that maybe his team just isn't that good without him.
    6. Kobe - Hasn't proved anything in the post-season, but has proved a lot already during the season. Keeps stepping it up. I fully expect him to step it up again when needed. Maybe not this year.
    7. Hill - Just a lousy team to work with, but basically unstoppable. Possible leader, but we haven't seen him do it.
    8. Payton - Gifted althlete, but needs help. On the downside of his carreer, but still at the top of his game when compared to everyone else.
    9. KG - Had a good team this year, showed up all season, but unable to lead them through the playoffs. Did not elevate his team or his game when needed.
    10. Kidd - Does it all. Question is, can he hit a big shot a- la- Reggie Miller.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Sir Scarjaval,
    I agree that Garnet is "Da Man (not Da Kid)", but he's listed at 6'11'', and he is actually 7'11''-7'2''. Why UNDERSTATE your hight? Beats me, but he says it keeps him fromplaying center.

I agree with everything else you've posted.

------------------
    Wanna play in the clutchcity.net game? Got some ideas? E-mail me at philip_w_moore_jr@hotmail.com and I'll send a batch e-mail with details as they develop.

5. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

P1, S2--I didn't quite see where you are coming from on KG. Do you see him as top3? or not really. I don't think he is the player Shaq, Duncan or Webber is right now--though he may be the best of the rest. I also noticed along with not scoring, KG let his team get beat on the offensive glass and didn't come up with any blocks when Portlands' guys were going inside. In short, I was very dissapointed in multiple phases of his game when all the marbles were down.

Also, I did forget about Grant Hill. He should have been on the honorable mention list (meant to, but forgot to include him). Though I would put Hill toward the middle/lower end of that list--I think for example Malone, Payton and Kobe are a little bit harder to handle than Grant Hill.

------------------

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

no1-steve francis
    no2-cuttino mobley
    no3-hakeem
    no4-shandon
    no5-cato

okay maybe i got just a little bit carried away with cato

------------------
    Now introducing the starting lineup for your Houston Rockets: Starting at Center, from Wake Forets TIM DUNCAN...

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

You guys must not be Vince Carter fans.

And Cassell at #4 PSJ? you gotta be kidding me.

8. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Vince could be among the best but not producing much while his team got swept in the first round kind of devalued where I put him as a complete player this moment. I can't say he is an equal in overall contributions to his team winning than for example Payton, Iverson or Kobe (the guards more solidly on my HM list along with front-court players like KG, Hill, Malone, Mourning, etc.), though I could make an argument either way whether Kidd or Carter is the better overall player right now.

I do think Vince & Kobe have the potential to be the best guards in the league. For them to continue to get better, Vince needs to work on defense and setting up teamates, Kobe is a little bit further along as a complete player IMO--though needs to be a more consistent long range shooter and like Vince he could stand to have a better grasp of what his teammaters can do.

BTW-Cassell, though a good player, isn't even the best one on his team.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited May 04, 2000).]

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sorry, I can't put Shaq at no. 1. To be the best in the league (IMO), you have to be a guy who, if your team absolutely HAS to have a bucket, they can give you the ball and it's a given that you're either going to score, make a great pass, or get fouled AND make the foul shots. Hakeem did that. Jordan did that. I just don't see that in Shaq. It's not even a given that Shaq will even be IN the game in the closing seconds, much less make big free throws or the big play. Duncan's still the best player in the league in my opinion. Lots of people might have short memories, but the guy steps his game up so high in the postseason. It's a shame he wasn't able to show Shaq how to play in the playoffs this year. Duncan would've tore that team a new one. How soon we forget that Duncan & co. swept the Lakers with little effort less than a year ago, with far less talent. Duncan's the reason.

As far as guards, I really like Sprewell at this point. I like guys that step it up big in the postseason, and Spree does it. Kobe's not even the best on his own team, and the guy makes a lot of dumb turnovers late in games. Sprewell could be the best guard in the NBA.

PS, S2 -- I also think highly of Cassell. If I had to name an all-clutch team, he'd be the point guard.

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

TheFreak,

Welcome back.
    How was vacation?

Did the trip to NY make you a Spree fan?

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Mango, thanks. I'm actually not back yet...should be tomorrow though. As far Sprewell, I think his performance last year in the playoffs got my attention, and then this year, playing Carter well and hitting big shots has won me over.

------------------
    "Okay KG, next time down, you give Cousin Billy his turn, then he'll give Uncle Joe his turn, then we'll give Shaq a turn."

-Rudy T, in the Dream Team 2000 huddle

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Buck + Cassel = Getting past Indiana

Without Cassel in those closing minutes
    The bucks were lost

GARY PAYTON IS HIGHLY UNDERRATED
    His game is unconventional but effective

Rocket River

------------------