1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The One Phone Call the Texans MUST Make...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is going to be my offseason crusade. I am going to beat this into the ground until all of you have me on block - BUT I'LL CARRY ON AND CONTINUE TO POST THIS!

If by choice or force, Bill O'Brien must bring in an offensive coordinator. And the team's first (and frankly, only) call better be to Tony Elliott, Deshaun Watson's primary playcaller at Clemson. Pay him whatever he wants - but get him here & turn him loose to build a system that can maximize Watson's enormous potential.

If not Elliott - AND IT SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE ELLIOTT - then at the very least, it must NOT, under any circumstances, be any one from the f'wording Belichick coaching tree; we need someone to offer fresh perspective and new ideas.

Also, I'd be good with Todd Bowles replacing Romeo Crennel.

But first: CALL TONY ELLIOTT!

2. Major

Major Member

But will an OC be allowed to create an offense based on his own principles, or would he have to call an offense based on BoB? After all, they just decided a year (?) ago that BoB should take over the offense and be the primary playcaller because he was some kind of offensive genius and needed to have *more* control there.

Beyond that, what is the purpose of BoB if not calling offense? He sucks at everything else about being a head coach too - this seems like a bandaid fix, honestly. It's not going to work, and then they'll just re-evaluate again after wasting another year.

J.R. and BigShasta like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pretty pointless to keep O'Brien if we are forcing a completely new offense on him

Richie_Rich, J.R., DonnyMost and 4 others like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, absolutely...

BUT... if you take of the logic glasses for a second and put on the realism glass. They aren't going to fire B'Ob. I don't know why not, but they aren't.

So, this idea of @Hey Now! is probably the best thing that truly could happen this offseason.

As is typical of this organization, though, if it is the best most logical move, it won't happen.

Also, quick internet search implies Elliot might be in talks for some HC positions in college. Which would be preferable for him? OC of Texans or HC in college.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

The 1st call should be to O’Brien, to pack his bags!!!!

val_modus, J.R., red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Remember, part of that "they" likely included Bob McNair and did not include Brian Gaine. a reevaluation is in order.

I think we're *exactly* where the team was in 2010. We have one side of the ball (mostly) figured out. And one side that is glaringly behind. I supported a new regime in '10 - but also embraced the hiring of Wade Phillips (and I was - mostly - excoriated for it here) because it directly addressed the team's obvious weakness.

So here we are again: my preference would be a new head coach (I agree with your assessment of BO'B) - but that ain't happening. So... bring on a way to fix what's broken.

7. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I agree that they aren't moving BoB, so do whatever they can to improve it. It certainly can't hurt. Either things improve or it accelerates the firings.

My opinion of this season is that it was extremely flukish - they were winning games close against mediocre teams, with a lot of luck (backup QBs, missed FGs, Indy throwing a game away, etc), and they were never in the same tier as teams with an 11-5 type record. I think the Texans have tons of talent and dominant players on both sides of the ball, so I put a lot of the blame for this on the coach. So I'm just fairly convinced it will fail and they'll end up firing him in a year or two anyway, or circling a drain of mediocrity if they don't.

Rashmon, Two Sandwiches and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I keep reading about the Texans needing a new OC....... some saying a new DC....

At what point do we just get rid of the head coach.

There is no point in keeping dumb-dumb around if he isn't coaching the offense, has little involvement in the defense, sucks at in game decisions and can barely form a complete sentence.

primtim24, J.R., BigShasta and 3 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I actually definitely do not want Clemson's OC.

11. Hey Now!

Twice now the Texans have bottomed out and failed to properly clean their house. In '13, they should have fired Kubiak *and* Smith; last year, they should have fired Smith *and* BO'B. Hell, they technically did the same thing in '06, too, keeping Casserly for Kubiak's first year.

I've reached @DonnyMost status - fire BO'B. I think this year revealed not his floor but his ceiling. He's good enough to win 9/10 games, maybe 11 with a few breaks - but he will be outclassed in the playoffs by superior coaches.

Jake Tower, Major and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can't follow whether or not you think they overachieved or underachieved?

On the one hand, I think they certainly overachieved record-wise largely based on their schedule, and how they won some of the games. But if you truly think they were held back by coaching, they "underachieved" and should have won 14 games?

I don't think they have enough depth at WR or secondary, talent up front on the O-line, and despite having a ton of high priced D-line players, they don't have a scheme or consistent enough pass rush that seems to complement all of them. And that's before we get to the coaching/game plan deficiencies that very well could be impacted by all of the above.

A new face/voice would probably add enough wrinkles to disguise some of their weaknesses... but over a 16 week season, a team's weaknesses will be evident eventually. The Texans had the same weaknesses all year, despite the wins... and they need to fix those personnel issues.

BigShasta and csj like this.
  13. Hey Now!

Twice now the Texans have bottomed out and failed to properly clean their house. In '13, they should have fired Kubiak *and* Smith; last year, they should have fired Smith *and* BO'B. Hell, they technically did the same thing in '06, too, keeping Casserly for Kubiak's first year.

I've reached @DonnyMost status - fire BO'B. I think this year revealed not his floor but his ceiling. He's good enough to win 9/10 games, maybe 11 with a few breaks - but he will be outclassed in the playoffs by superior coaches.

Jake Tower likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Mike McCarthy could pick any job out there... don't you think the Texans, with Watson, would be close to the top of his list? Same with Arians, although I'd be more worried about the latter's longevity.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

I criticize the organization and a lot of people think I believe the organization will never win.

The reality, based on history is that the Texans have historically not been ahead of the curve as an organization and that starts from ownership down.

However, that CAN change depending on who their hire. Gaine hasn't had enough time to prove he is or isn't a good GM. He may very well prove to be quite good and the Texans can emerge.......... BOB on the other hand has had lots of time and chances and he hasn't proven to be an asset. What is distressing is that the organization gave him an extension and there is no apparent desire to replace him.

If Gaine proves to be average or worse, and BOB sticks around.... it won't be long before Clowney, Watt and even Watson are paid what their going rate is, and there will be even more impediments to winning based on the salary cap constraints, which puts more pressure on the GM to draft well.

Just not a lot of faith at this point in BOB. I am more open minded on Gaine and I think with the passing of Bob McNair, Cal McNair deserves an opportunity to succeed of fail.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

I criticize the organization and a lot of people think I believe the organization will never win.

The reality, based on history is that the Texans have historically not been ahead of the curve as an organization and that starts from ownership down.

However, that CAN change depending on who their hire. Gaine hasn't had enough time to prove he is or isn't a good GM. He may very well prove to be quite good and the Texans can emerge.......... BOB on the other hand has had lots of time and chances and he hasn't proven to be an asset. What is distressing is that the organization gave him an extension and there is no apparent desire to replace him.

If Gaine proves to be average or worse, and BOB sticks around.... it won't be long before Clowney, Watt and even Watson are paid what their going rate is, and there will be even more impediments to winning based on the salary cap constraints, which puts more pressure on the GM to draft well.

Just not a lot of faith at this point in BOB. I am more open minded on Gaine and I think with the passing of Bob McNair, Cal McNair deserves an opportunity to succeed of fail.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of this matters, if BOB is still around, the Texans aren't going anywhere. BOB has faith in his awful system that doesn't work and any OC brought in would be forced to use it.....and that means the offense will be terrible.

red5rocket and Nook like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But they will never be able to get rid of the McNairs.

And they do dictate the mindset (patience, giving guys multiple chances, extensions to eliminate job security anxiety, utilizing 3rd party consultation services) that doesn’t agree with you.

19. Damion Laverne

I don't think anything major will change as long as people keep buying tickets/PSLs.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All NFL teams in top 10 media markets have very little problem selling tickets... unless you want to lump Oakland into the Bay Area, but even then they’ve supported a team very well despite most years being a dumpster fire, and playing in a dump of a stadium.