1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Genealogy Websites Were Key To Big Break In Golden State Killer Case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Apr 27, 2018.

1. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin Fan?

Haymitch likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm conflicted. One on the one hand, I like history and genealogical stuffs. On the other hand, I've become very paranoid about personal data (not mine so much as the kids'). And it looks like the problem with DNA data is that when you choose to share your own data with other people, you are de facto also sharing your relatives' data without their consent. I heard a story recently that focused on how the dna tests have been unmasking mothers who cheated on their husbands. I'm not too keen on all this exposure.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I've used it. And although skeptical, it did in fact link me up to my relatives without my having ever identified who my relatives might be. So the DNA matching worked. While I would have liked more detail, it felt accurate. I think they should offer up the opportunity to buy your sequence in a framed photo. I'd do it.

On a side note, one of my relatives founded the colony in New Haven, CT. And one of the descendants, Dr. Jesse Truesdell Peck. taught and was president at Dickinson College in PA. He was such a religious fanatic his students locked him up in an asylum closet and chained the door closed. He was one of those puritans, was forced to pack up, head north, and upon arriving, decided to found Syracuse University. My mom said a distant relative noted we had a section of the National Portrait Gallery in our name. I didn't believe it, but curiosity got me, so I walked over, and low and behold, we did. Pretty awesome. Apparently, he was good friends with Andrew Carnegie and Samuel Clemens, and so to this day we have a section of the National Portrait gallery with our name on it. And inside portraits of Carnegie and several presidents including James Madison.

#43 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    whiskeyred likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I'm pretty used to my daily routine with my kids so at this point I don't even want to know who their real father is.

Rashmon, DoitDickau, JumpMan and 3 others like this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

4th cousin is far enough. I mean, it's not like you're creeping on your niece like another poster here.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We found a new Golden State killer tonight- and he wears #13.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

We should send in Harden's DNA just to see what pops up, lol.

heypartner and Xerobull like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It'll match everyone as long as he keeps playing like a god.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Also, I got the following email yesterday (FamilyTreeDNA is in Houston, btw) :

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customers:

I am writing to address the news that our Gene-by-Gene laboratory, which processes genetic tests for several commercial clients in addition to all of the FamilyTreeDNA tests, has processed a handful of DNA samples for cold cases from the F.B.I. In many cases, the news reports contained false or misleading information.

Let me start with this categorical statement:

LAW ENFORCEMENT DOES NOT HAVE OPEN ACCESS TO THE FTDNA DATABASE.

They cannot search or “dig through” FTDNA profiles any more than an ordinary user can. As with all other genetic genealogy services, law enforcement must provide valid legal process, such as a subpoena or search warrant to receive any information beyond that which any other user can access.

I have been an avid genealogist since I was twelve years old. FamilyTreeDNA is not just a business, it is my passion. I fully understand your privacy concerns on a personal level.

Law enforcement has the ability to test DNA samples from crime scenes and upload the results into databases, like any other customer can, and it appears they have been doing it at other companies for the past year. The distinction is that, according to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, we expect the FBI and law enforcement agencies to let us know when they submit something to our database. We moved to something transparent, rather than having them work in a stealthy way. Other than that, nothing changed that affects the privacy of our customers.

FamilyTreeDNA has always taken your privacy seriously and will continue to do so. We’ve remained steadfast, always, refusing to sell your data to pharmaceutical companies and other third parties.

One of the key reasons law enforcement wanted to submit their samples to us is the same reason many of you have: out of all the major companies, FamilyTreeDNA is the only one that has its own lab, and our customers’ samples never leave our company.

As previously stated, law enforcement can only receive information beyond that which is accessible to the standard user by providing FamilyTreeDNA with valid legal process, such as a subpoena or a search warrant. Again, this is specified in FamilyTreeDNA’s Terms of Service, just as with all other companies.

ABOUT OUR TERMS OF SERVICE

The Terms of Service were changed in May of 2018 to reflect GDPR requirements, and we informed our customers about the update at that time. Those changes included a paragraph that required law enforcement to receive our permission to enter the database and since it was a part of the overall update, notice was sent to every FTDNA customer. Without infringing upon our customers’ privacy, the language in the paragraph referring to law enforcement was updated in December, although nothing changed in the actual handling of such requests. It was an oversight that notice of the revision was not sent to you and that is our mistake. Therefore, we are reverting our TOS to our May 2018 version, and any future changes will be communicated to you in a timely manner.

This is the May 2018, GDPR-compliant version, communicated to you at that time: “You agree to not use the Services for any law enforcement purposes, forensic examinations, criminal investigations, and/or similar purposes without the required legal documentation and written permission from FamilyTreeDNA.”

WE WILL DO A BETTER JOB OF COMMUNICATING WITH YOU.

I am genuinely sorry for not having handled our communications with you as we should have.

We’ve received an incredible amount of support from those of you who believe this is an opportunity for honest, law-abiding citizens to help catch bad guys and bring closure to devastated families. We want you to understand, as many of you already do, that you have the same protections that you’ve always had and that you have nothing to fear.

We’ve also heard from supporters offering ideas and solutions to make the FamilyTreeDNA experience a more comfortable one in light of this new information.

We are listening. Our plan is to create a panel of citizen genealogist advisors who will work with us as we focus on how to make your FamilyTreeDNA experience the best one available.

Sincerely,

Bennett Greenspan
    President
    FamilyTreeDNA.com

“History Unearthed Daily"

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How hard would it be to get a subpoena? They have to have a reasonable criteria to search, right?

Asking for a friend.