1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Revisiting the Melton trade (I no longer call it the Ryno trade)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 22, 2018.

?

(Re-Vote): As of today, Do you like the Melton+Ryan for Knight+Chriss trade

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Some charts and graphs, so JC Denton can be proud.

Ryan Anderson's 3P% (top chart) and Points-Per-Minute played (bottom chart). (X-axis got cut off, it's his years in the league, 1-12).

We all know he suddenly "broke", but this really paints the picture. I'm still shocked.

anderson.JPG

Deuce likes this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Melton would be tearing it up for the RGV... ;)

baller4life315 and J.R. like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Clark is not playing. No one is disagreeing that he's a scrub, but we can use a scrub for 10 minutes at the backup 4 more than we have used Knight so far. I think you just misunderstood the post.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nah, if Hartenstein and MCW got minutes with the first team, Melton would've too.

kjayp likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Knight is a pg whether he is available or not you still don't want Scrubberson getting mins. 10 mins of Scrubberson = loss I mean the dude is shooting 3 pts per 18 mins that'd be like 1.2 pts per game lol.

At least Clark can defend wtf are you gonna get with a Mopederson? 3 ppg on 20% 3 pt shooting with bad defense and rebounding yeah ok. The only reason the trade was a mistake is because of Melton who is a steal at low first round. We already had our pg depth just didn't recognize it.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

He was always broken he just had 2 HOF pgs creating for him. I think he just lost all passion for the game after his 18 ppg season in NO, it was day and night in terms of performance and that kind of drop off doesn't happen in 1 summer.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's quite that simplistic, but I understand how you feel.

8. ballhandling

ballhandling Member

Look at how Brook Lopez plays on the Bucks. Spacing the floor, setting screens and boxing out for teammates to grab rebounds, which is what Ryno did for us. I'm not going to talk about how bad Ryno's contract is. We just need depth more than anyone, we traded them for nothing, and Knight's contract is still difficult to dump.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. kjayp

idk... through his first 6 apps he was a rookie shooting 5-17.... and 3-11 from 3... that could have gotten him relegated to the RGV... lol... Hartenstein is at .500 for the year and gets no burn...

#89 kjayp, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. kjayp

LOL... do u really think anyone ever was a Ryan Anderson Only Fan?

It's become so rampant that anyone who disagrees with someone - just call them an XOF... lol

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh i get what you're saying and i agree on that aspect of MDA, i don't like it either (see Clark). Nene is back and Hartenstein isn't playing, but in terms of PG we had no option until today so, i guess Melton would've played, also cause i think he was more ready than Hartenstein anyway, just my guess though, we'll never know obviously, but i think he would've done a good job to give us some defense and energy, basically what Morey expected out of MCW but with more offense and upside overall, as a player and as an asset.

kjayp likes this.
  12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Signed huge contract. Waiting for it to end to retire. Its not that mysterious.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We threw Melton away.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is Melton better than Rivers .. . RIGHT NOW?

Rocket River

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was bad when it happened, I think it's bad now.

ballhandling likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

of course he cant get open looks on suns .. suns have no harden
    he would be awesome on rockets this year...awesome 3pt shooter solid on d and solid rebounder

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

small sample size

he didnt suddenly broke

he only had a 2-3 weeks slump last season in december (if i recall well) after which he recovered and finished season as 38-39% 3pt shooter, 2nd best on 65 wins team...he only got injured near the end of rs and he had trouble healing.. so that was all
    nobody serious would count his % on abysmally dysfunctional tanking suns team as something of significance

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I voted Yes, with the expectation that we use Knight's and/or Chriss's contracts to pick up impact players at the deadline.

It'd take multiple firsts to rid ourselves of Ryno's deal. Knight and Chriss are more movable pieces.

Melton is showing a little something, but it's easy to put up stats on a garbage Suns team.

J.R. likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I dismiss the "small sample size" claim, because last year his points-per-minute was the lowest in his 10 year career, by a decent margin not including his rookie season. The 15 games he's played with the Suns just add on to the 66 mediocre-to-bad games he played last year. With the exception of his first 50 games in the league, there is no other ~50 game stretch in his career where is PPM was below .45ish - now it's .35 last season and .20 this season. How many games do you need for a sample size that a player has lost a step (or several)?

No wait, this is proof that this trade was awful. It's so bad that we're trying to defend Ryan Anderson. :p

Regardless, I do like Ryan Anderson as a player and I wish he'd figure himself out. The league has evolved right into an ideal situation for him.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Anyone who is a fan of Scrubberson isn't a fan of the Rockets because if yiu actually have the Rockets best interest in mind you wouldn't want Scrubberson on the court. Anybody who distorts the truth saying Scrubberson was a decent player who would have helped the team with his defense and rebounding is clearly a ROF.