1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Revisiting the Melton trade (I no longer call it the Ryno trade)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 22, 2018.

?

(Re-Vote): As of today, Do you like the Melton+Ryan for Knight+Chriss trade

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did the trade lead to CP3's hamstring injury via no bench and overuse?
    Could Melton have been our House as backup to CP3, like 10 games ago?

Some facts to consider
    • Melton is starting for PHX getting 25 mpg over last 9 games. He is demonstrating disruptive defense, as promised. Streaky shooter, so far
    • Knight didn't come back in time to keep CP3's minutes down
    • MCW proved worthless at keeping CP3's minutes down
    • Chriss is worthless
    • Tilman saved money
    • Lot of Knight trade rumors ... so, there's that.
    I no longer see any benefit in trading Melton, except it helps the Dreamcasters and Trade Mongers on the site stay busy.
    • Maybe we can trade Knight for a youthful asset as good as Melton.
    • But maybe retaining Melton as a Asset, brings more.

Easy, BaselineFade, Aruba77 and 22 others like this.
  2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I miss Fly Gun Slingin Ry :(

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It looks bad now. We'll see what comes of the Chriss contract (probably nothing good).

I'm not sure what to hope for with BK. He's a pretty good backup but a bad starter. I can't imagine any team really wanting him unless we give up a sweetener. So, I ask, what is even the point of Brandon Knight?

roslolian likes this.
  5. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I fully expect Morey to make another trade with Knight involved so we’ll have to wait and see to fully judge, but as of now I’d take the trade back if I could.

HP3 likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

DM took him to get rid of RA. He knew BK couldn't play. Chriss had some ability to play, but he has failed to adjust to the system. Melton had to go to unfortunately.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

So who's more to blame, Morey, Tilman or Dantoni....who idk who said it @Nook maybe? Said that Dantoni didnt want Anderson on the bench as it was hurtful to the locker room.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Morey is terrible, always trading away 1st Rd Picks, the Rockets are going backwards as an organization, getting older, the Talent Level getting weaker.

BasketMAD likes this.
  9. heypartner

That point fails to consider Melton is a real trade asset, too. For instance, EGo and Melton could bring a lot. Heck, why wouldn’t a Ryno and Melton trade right now bring more than a Knight plus 2nd rounder, trade. Heck even more, why wouldn’t the Ryno/Melton for Knight Trade still be possible right now, affording us playing Melton until Knight was ready.

So, gotta ask, why rush that trade.

Morey rushed it because he had the mistaken confidence either MCW or Knight would have been CP3s backup faster than Melton would have been.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Posted my thoughts on this topic in another thread:

Is Melton all that's separating us from another WCF visit (or beyond)?

If you answered no, you should probably agree losing Melton might suck in retrospect, but neither Ryno nor Melton were going to put us over the hump. Not with Ryno's dead-weight contract still on the books. Which means something else needed to happen.

Let's call it like it is: Ryno is a dinosaur that can't move, defend or shoot. He would be collecting DNP's if he was still a Rocket. He wasn't going to leave money on the table for us, so Ryno at $40M guaranteed was very likely going to cost us at least two first-rounders just to move him. Forget about upgrading the roster and better utilizing the 1/5th of our payroll he was occupying. We're talking two first-rounders just to get rid of him.

Not only that, but all things equal, who's more likely to play meaningful minutes: an athletic combo guard that can shoot and score....or a declining spot-up shooter that can't shoot? Ryno is approaching fringe NBA player territory without a real, discernible skill. Sure, Knight is a bit of a wild card given he's coming off injury and hasn't played meaningful minutes in so long, but I'd much rather have the latter at $15M than the former at $20M+. Ryno's strengths at their peak were unique to our system and our system alone. There aren't many teams want a PF that camps out at the 3-pt line.

I think we will soon find out whenever DM makes his big move that both A) Knight is movable and does have some semblance of value, and B) We can accomplish both goals simultaneously of moving Knight/Chriss and upgrading the roster. I highly doubt that happens with Ryno's contract still on the books. All Ryno was going to fetch us were other radioactive contracts like Parsons, Batum, Deng, etc.

We’ll see what happens, but losing Melton was a necessary loss to me. I’d rather lose Melton than the two first rounders we originally thought it would take to rid ourselves of Ryno.

11. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

This is as disastrous as not signing Ariza. Ryno and Melton's salary matches BK, Chriss, MCW, Melo. Tilman doesn't save anything for this year.
    Ryno can help on defensive rebounding and excellent road game performance. He and Melton would be two valuable rotation players right now.

12. craguin

craguin Member

Did MDA want Ryno gone? ▼

Deuce, Vivi and HP3 like this.
  13. Dmo

Dmo Member

Big mistake letting go of Melton

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

how good is melton as a defender? as good as a young beverley? or better? if he's as good, i think it was a big mistake. but maybe tilman made him do it. we need an on the ball defender at first point of attack like the heat have. D house is streaky too, but a lot of that is becasue he has to take a rushed 3 sometime, not wide open, but his impact on D is big. Meltons would have been better, probably.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

There's still some hope (i guess) that Knight comes back to what he was a couple of years ago (so, nothing special but at least a solid rotation player), in the end he's still pretty young so, maybe it's not impossible. If that happens, the trade might end up being ok, let's say...but overall there's no way we're going to win that trade, if Melton becomes a solid bench player the Suns already won it, and personally i think Melton will be a solid starter at some point.

In the end Melton was always the only real asset in that trade, the other three pieces involved were trash for one reason or another, and we basically traded Anderson for another Anderson that right now we're desperately trying to dump/trade with a 1st rounder for a rotation player...and it seems like nobody is biting so far so, welp.

This looks like another move dictated by the owner and maybe the coach to me btw, the fact that we didn't pick up Chriss option for the next season means Morey & co. saw no value in him as a player, and i'm pretty sure their view was the same before the trade cause yeah, everyone knew Chriss was a bust. Also, Nook said MDA wanted Ryan gone, i understand that, but coach should have no word in this kind of moves imo, cause they don't care about future, flexibility etc...you see how coaches play the gm, they just suck. Pretty sure MDA was happy to get Ryan with that contract two years ago, wouldn't be shocked if he pushed Les to make it happen, and after two years he wanted Ryan gone...well, thanks. Just saying btw, maybe Mike word meant nothing in these moves in the end.

Would be curious to see how people would vote in a poll about that trade as today, pretty sure the "don't like it" option would raise as today. Personally i didn't vote if i remember well, cause i was happy to see Ryan gone but didn't like swapping Melton with Chriss. As today i would definitely vote "don't like it".

#15 Vivi, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    amaru likes this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

oh boy.. hp putting blood in the water.

@topfive said Morey was inflating Melton's value..

Deckard and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For it to come true, keep revisiting this thread. Need a bigger sample size.

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I already forgot the guy I bet they Melton would be good this year - but good to see I was right

19. heypartner

That makes sense, but you should also quote the recent Anderson article how he explains he’s at peace with himself not playing.

Gotta remember, any secret quotes from @Codman about MDA need to be balanced with MDA and Morey also both saying Publicly how they intended to keep Paul’s minutes down and not play B2Bs. It’s the GM and Coach’s job to weigh the importance of such conflicting issues.

So, like Morey, was MDA also operating with the mistaken confidence that MCW and Knight would be backing up CP3 faster than Melton.

• Melton is a better trade asset right now than Ryan, Knight and Chriss. So, no future Knight trade is likely returning more than Melton would, had we just kept him
    • The trade with PHX could still be done today, allowing us to play Melton as backup waiting for Knight to get ready to make the trade. Or another trade is possible by packaging Ryno+Melton.
    • Morey jumped because Ryno promised to renegotiate his contract then. That’s only reason for doing it then vs waiting.

Vivi, craguin and HP3 like this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I never liked the trade. After watching Melton in summer league, it seemed like we were trading away first round talent and gaining very little in return. We are still stuck with a player with a big contract that contributes very little.

clutchdabear, Little Bit and napalm06 like this.